• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman: Caped Crusader coming from Matt Reeves, Bruce Timm, and J.J. Abrams
2 2

37 posts in this topic

Tim Burton will definitely NOT be involved in this project.

One reason why Batman continues to endure on screen is his adaptability. Over the years the World’s Greatest Detective has been brought to the screen in various incarnations, from the campy ‘60s TV series to Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight Trilogy, each version bearing clear signs of the filmmakers and eras from which they originated all while being unmistakably Batman. Perhaps no Bat-flick has exhibited this quite so distinctly as Batman Returns – Tim Burton’s go-for-broke sequel that followed up his 1989 blockbuster with lashings of latex, exploding penguins, and an oddball outlook that could only have come from the mind behind Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands.

Given Batman Returns’ reception and controversies over its dark tone at the time, the studio turned to director Joel Schumacher for Batman Forever and Batman & Robin – two films whose dialled-up Day-Glo aesthetic and kids’ cartoon sensibilities felt a million miles away from Burton. One of the more lambasted decisions from Schumacher’s films particularly rankled the Returns director.

“[Back then] they went the other way. That’s the funny thing about it. But then I was like, ‘Wait a minute. Okay. Hold on a second here. You complain about me, I’m too weird, I’m too dark, and then you put nipples on the costume? Go F*** yourself.’ Seriously. So yeah, I think that’s why I didn’t end up [doing a third film]…”

On 6/7/2022 at 10:01 AM, D84 said:

Can't say I blame him.

Amazing how even then WB was over-course correcting due to mothers and church groups complaining about McDonald's happy meal toys. Different mindset from a dark storyline.

Batman: Caped Crusader, which 15 months ago received a series order from HBO Max and Cartoon Network, is among six animated projects  that are no longer being produced for HBO Max, sources confirm for TVLine.

TVLine hears that all six projects, mostly from Warner Bros. Animation, will continue production while they are shopped to other outlets.