Spawn Newsstand Variant Variants: Experts needed!
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Stop me if you've heard this one before, but I didn't see a thread anywhere else for this and think I may be on to something. Spawn newsstand variant experts, please weigh in!

Ok, so I have two copies of Spawn 39 newsstand variant. While I was organizing my spawn books, I noticed they were different from each other:

16216237609256528690224545314918.thumb.jpg.1adf64cfb1b2ef061a76d52de4ac7c9c.jpg

Doing a quick ebay search, I found around 10 copies of the variant with the UPC starting 70992 and 1 copy with the number starting 73361. Here is the Spawn 39 on ebaySpawn 39 73361

I then did a quick check of Spawn 38 newsstands and found them all to be 70992.

Of course, I followed with a check of Spawn 40 newsstands and found, similar to 39, several copies of 70992 and 1 copy with 73361

Here is a link to the Spawn 40 that sold: Spawn 40 73361

At first glance, the 73361 seems to be much harder to find than the 70992 versions. My question is, what is this? The prices are the same on both copies and include Canadian prices also, meaning they are not simply foreign editions.

Has anyone seen this before? If I found this variant to exist in issues 39 and 40, what other Spawns have newsstand variant variants?

Edit: I can verify 37 and 41 also exist with this UPC variant and this likely continues beyond these issues, in one direction or both.

Edited by PeterPark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, PeterPark said:

Stop me if you've heard this one before, but I didn't see a thread anywhere else for this and think I may be on to something. Spawn newsstand variant experts, please weigh in!

Ok, so I have two copies of Spawn 39 newsstand variant. While I was organizing my spawn books, I noticed they were different from each other:

16216237609256528690224545314918.thumb.jpg.1adf64cfb1b2ef061a76d52de4ac7c9c.jpg

Doing a quick ebay search, I found around 10 copies of the variant with the UPC starting 70992 and 1 copy with the number starting 73361. Here is the Spawn 39 on ebaySpawn 39 73361

I then did a quick check of Spawn 38 newsstands and found them all to be 70992.

Of course, I followed with a check of Spawn 40 newsstands and found, similar to 39, several copies of 70992 and 1 copy with 73361

Here is a link to the Spawn 40 that sold: Spawn 40 73361

At first glance, the 73361 seems to be much harder to find than the 70992 versions. My question is, what is this? The prices are the same on both copies and include Canadian prices also, meaning they are not simply foreign editions.

Has anyone seen this before? If I found this variant to exist in issues 39 and 40, what other Spawns have newsstand variant variants?

Edit: I can verify 37 and 41 also exist with this UPC variant and this likely continues beyond these issues, in one direction or both.

Have you checked to see if there is any difference in the indica? Page count? Do they both have the same ads ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, PeterPark said:

I thought it interesting, too, that the DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO SPAWN NEWSSTAND VARIANTS did not seem to know this was a thing...

I know it's a thing! I'm actually still researching it...It didn't come to my attention until after I published the guide. In the meantime, I can tell you that most (not all) issues have more than one barcode (typically two), identified most easily by their manufacturer code (the first grouping of 5 digits) with the most common numbers being 70989, 73361, 70992, 74470, and 14302. I'll be updating my guide once I finish my research!

1 hour ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Thanks for the heads up!

Edited by Lobstrosity
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2021 at 9:19 AM, Lobstrosity said:
On 5/21/2021 at 2:15 PM, PeterPark said:

I thought it interesting, too, that the DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO SPAWN NEWSSTAND VARIANTS did not seem to know this was a thing...

I know it's a thing! I'm actually still researching it...It didn't come to my attention until after I published the guide. In the meantime, I can tell you that most (not all) issues have more than one barcode (typically two), identified most easily by their manufacturer code (the first grouping of 5 digits) with the most common numbers being 70989, 73361, 70992, 74470, and 14302. I'll be updating my guide once I finish my research!

On 5/22/2021 at 7:54 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Thanks for the heads up!

Does it make sense to think the differences in the manufacturer code (first 5 digits) are associated with different distribution methods?  Newsstands intended for distribution to chain bookstores different from newsstands intended for distribution to grocery/drug stores, etc. - or perhaps geographic regions, since newsstand distributors in California were probably different from distributors in New York.

Edited by valiantman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, valiantman said:

Does it make sense to think the differences in the manufacturer code (first 5 digits) are associated with different distribution methods?  Newsstands intended for distribution to chain bookstores different from newsstands intended for distribution to grocery/drug stores, etc. - or perhaps geographic regions, since newsstand distributors in California were probably different from distributors in New York.

Yes, that was my thought as well. As far as I've been able to figure, there were two concurrent distribution methods for a large portion of the newsstand run...then one of them stopped. I'm working on getting confirmed that that was the case, as that would coincide with the various printed numbers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spawn collectors just try and try to find new ways to spend their money.  It's only a matter of time before they spend 50k on the Spawn Wizard card that came polybagged in Wizard 11 cause it's now "Spawn's rookie card"  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Spawn collectors just try and try to find new ways to spend their money.  It's only a matter of time before they spend 50k on the Spawn Wizard card that came polybagged in Wizard 11 cause it's now "Spawn's rookie card"  

Nah, the Spawn #137 Newsstand will get to $50K way before the Wizard card. :foryou:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, valiantman said:
20 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Spawn collectors just try and try to find new ways to spend their money.  It's only a matter of time before they spend 50k on the Spawn Wizard card that came polybagged in Wizard 11 cause it's now "Spawn's rookie card"  

Nah, the Spawn #137 Newsstand will get to $50K way before the Wizard card. :foryou:

If either of these hit $50k I will probably be too busy waiting in bread lines .:sorry:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Spawn collectors just try and try to find new ways to spend their money. 

I think this is pretty true. The last few years of picking Spawn I began asking "Do you have any weird Spawn books?" to try and get a deal on something odd someone may have overlooked. 

Lately Spawn fans have been buying the Mortal Combat actions figures, there's been about 7-8 different ones so far, the Kickstarter figures, and he's got a new wave of Violator, clown, Gunslinger Spawn and Redeemer are coming. Not to mention the next Medieval Spawn Kickstarter that was teased during Wondercon, as well as the rollout of 3 new monthly titles. It's crazy right now trying to keep up, I can't anymore, I'm having to pick and choose. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

I think this is pretty true. The last few years of picking Spawn I began asking "Do you have any weird Spawn books?" to try and get a deal on something odd someone may have overlooked. 

Lately Spawn fans have been buying the Mortal Combat actions figures, there's been about 7-8 different ones so far, the Kickstarter figures, and he's got a new wave of Violator, clown, Gunslinger Spawn and Redeemer are coming. Not to mention the next Medieval Spawn Kickstarter that was teased during Wondercon, as well as the rollout of 3 new monthly titles. It's crazy right now trying to keep up, I can't anymore, I'm having to pick and choose. 

I have the fan exclusive hanging Spawn action figure (with the tattered cape that isn't part of the package and they include it in the shipping!!!)

 

***Yes, I'm a Spawn fan who tries to find ways to spend money on more Spawn(thumbsu

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2