• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X Men #120 CGC9.8w...$10K
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Not sure where my run of Claremont and Bryne X-Men books are, but is that a Newsstand Edition of X-Men 120, or did all of the editions have the standard barcode since it's from early '79?  ???

Absolutely surprised these Bryne XMen books are going for this kind of money since everybody back in the day were cherry picking these off the shelves of the LCS's as they first came in.  :whatthe:

Hoped that I picked up an extra copy of this book here, but probably not as I think I picked up duplicates of only X-Men 94 (lost one of them :(), X-Men 108, the death of Phoenix double issue, and the Days of Future past duet.  (thumbsu

Also hope that my copy of X-Men 120 is not as off-center as that one up there as I was quite fussy about these things, but sometimes you didn't have much of a choice.  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

but is that a Newsstand Edition of X-Men 120, or did all of the editions have the standard barcode since it's from early '79?  ???

All 120s are barcode. I don't know what the exact timing was with the line across the barcode to indicate direct? Maybe they really got that going in 1980? 

This is the latest example why Clink is the place to go for consignors! That is a remarkable market setting result ^^

2 hours ago, Frederic9494 said:

Pretty cool for a cameo appearance... hope X-Men 121 will catch up!

Yeah it should absolutely carry over to 121! That was the real first appearance of them as Alpha flight. 120 is them in human form except for Sasquatch's arm in the end and partial outline of him behind a wall waiting for Wolverine. 

On 5/28/2021 at 2:56 AM, lou_fine said:

Not sure where my run of Claremont and Bryne X-Men books are, but is that a Newsstand Edition of X-Men 120, or did all of the editions have the standard barcode since it's from early '79?  ???

Absolutely surprised these Bryne XMen books are going for this kind of money since everybody back in the day were cherry picking these off the shelves of the LCS's as they first came in.  :whatthe:

Hoped that I picked up an extra copy of this book here, but probably not as I think I picked up duplicates of only X-Men 94 (lost one of them :(), X-Men 108, the death of Phoenix double issue, and the Days of Future past duet.  (thumbsu

Also hope that my copy of X-Men 120 is not as off-center as that one up there as I was quite fussy about these things, but sometimes you didn't have much of a choice.  :wishluck:

All Marvel issues had a barcode starting 6/76. Starting 6/79 (X-Men #122), both direct and newsstand editions of issues were distributed.

On 6/1/2021 at 6:36 AM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Another XM120 ended @ Comic Link for $10k+...$11251

vqMPslN.png

X Men #120 CGC9.8 AUCTION HISTORY

00002552398000083830921018.jpg

I always thought this issue was an especially awesome cover at the time it came out not knowing who it was stalking the X-men.

This book continues to age well like fine wine, only looking better every-time we see it. 

That black cover edge really brings out the center and showcases the extreme dire plight the X-men are in!

Proud to have a couple issues of this amazing breathtaking key moment in time.  

Anyone know if those ticks on the spine could be pressed out on a black cover like that?

image.thumb.png.14e1c88f2e2a12801e3fe5840d7bd6e2.png  

3 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

I always thought this issue was an especially awesome cover at the time it came out not knowing who it was stalking the X-men.

This book continues to age well like fine wine, only looking better every-time we see it. 

That black cover edge really brings out the center and showcases the extreme dire plight the X-men are in!

Proud to have a couple issues of this amazing breathtaking key moment in time.  

Anyone know if those ticks on the spine could be pressed out on a black cover like that?

image.thumb.png.14e1c88f2e2a12801e3fe5840d7bd6e2.png  

If the tick is breaking color, I don't think it can be pressed out. I know how you feel...I have a few nice ultra expensive books that could be a 9.8 if not for that tick. So, hoping I'm wrong if anyone else wants to chime in?

On 6/6/2021 at 2:01 PM, ninanina said:

If the tick is breaking color, I don't think it can be pressed out. I know how you feel...I have a few nice ultra expensive books that could be a 9.8 if not for that tick. So, hoping I'm wrong if anyone else wants to chime in?

Sorry, but if I can see those color breaking creases right from your scanned image without having to zoom in at all, I very much highly doubt that they can be pressed out.  :(

Edited by lou_fine