• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else having MAJOR ISSUES WITH COMICCONNECT?
4 4

155 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I think where people are misunderstanding me is this- I have zero experience with the OP who hasn't posted almost anything on the boards thus zero reputation other than hyperbolic bashing of Comic Connect.  On the other hand, I've dealt with Comic Connect/Metropolis dozens of times over the last 20 years.  And his description doesn't match my experience.  At all.

His particular depiction of events may be completely accurate but my guess, based upon the high level of emotion expressed in his posts and his failure to make a phone call, is that there's more to this story ( @thehumantorch , if you wrote the same thing, I'd be quicker to believe you because you've been on here for a long time and always sounded fairly reasonable).  

I don't think it makes sense to sell books on consignment when you don't have them in your shop.  But I'm not going to assume that the person who consigned the book is suddenly holding out for more money until there's more information, preferably from a different source than the OP.  That may be the case, but I'm not going to assume it based upon the information at hand.

All I'm saying is that as a buyer, I would have handled it differently.  And as a seller, I'd never want to deal with someone who behaved like this.  Just my opinion.

Understood that your experience doesn't match up with his and I agree, we don't know this guy very well but I believe he's telling the truth.  He's certainly posted enough specific information that Comic Connect/Metro employees can refute his posts if he's not telling the truth.  Bet they don't.

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Only complaints about CC is the website isn't too great, they should make the 3% credit card fee more clear to the buyer before checkout and they shouldn't have a best offer on every listing. Some consignors are not interested in considering offers so not having that option would help the shopper avoid wasting valuable time. The best offer thing would also apply to Clink. Customer service for both could use some improvement as well. 

That being said, the OP is right to be upset if the story is 100% accurate. He or she should have been contacted by CC well before contact was initiated in this case. It should not have been the OPs burden to initiate contact after a month of inactivity from the consignor.

it doesn't excuse CC for not having been on top of it forcing the buyer to initiate contact 2c

And that's all there is to it. MyComicsShop doesn't seem to offer "Make An Offer". And my experience with Metropolis they do not accept offers even though they say "Make An Offer". Don't know if that's just consignments or actually owned books.

I own a business. Know where the buck stops? Me. Whose fault is it when something breaks? Mine. What if an employee is rude? Or a thief? Or incompetent? On me. A business rises and falls with its employees.

If Micah is reading this, a good company to work for is one where an owner or general manager will actually listen to an employees suggestions, weigh them out and then TELL the employee later whether their idea was workable or not.

If - as another poster said - Vincent has an hour to talk my wife into talking ME into selling my own Bat 9 so HE can make money, he has time to tweak the company to make it more streamlined and add features to the websites. Find what ISN'T working and fix it.

The OP here perhaps is new to the boards or buying from a website comic book store. He is right to be pi**ed. I put an order in? I spend $5,000 up front? I expect it to be filled. Not my job to do legwork. His story is not unusual or unreasonable.

Edited by Randall Ries

4 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

And his description doesn't match my experience.  At all.

His particular depiction of events may be completely accurate but my guess,

All I'm saying is that as a buyer, I would have handled it differently.  And as a seller, I'd never want to deal with someone who behaved like this.  Just my opinion.

Yes sir. But we all have different experiences, right? Why would you compare his to yours? Is it he got exasperated and you didn't? Or you haven't been Graysoned around by Metro and he has?

Yep. Your guess. That's all it is.

Again this is an apples/oranges comparison. Maybe you don't mind waiting two months after tossing $4200 with no communication then finding out they haven't bothered to contact the consignor or follow up on the lack of a consignor's response and they will "look into it", then don't. This guy does. I would. As I mentioned, two weeks is my line. I got the same response he did. "Oh. We'll look into this." Nah. Don't bother. The consignor has changed his mind or sold it for much more money and is a Richard for not pulling his submission from the CC website. My recourse now is to make someone run up and down the stairs or elevator verifying my choices with in stock books as I take store credit out of their cabooses. That'll teach you not to follow up.

The consignor - in this case - WAS the seller. So - you know - you never would have dealt with him at all. Being a consignor takes all contact with potential buyers, balls it up and tosses it into a hamper. The guys/gals at CC/Metro get to deal with us instead. YOU would be dealing with some hapless flunky on the phone or email forced into making excuses for a deadbeat seller. Who you never would have dealt with. But then again, you would have handled it differently.

Edited by Randall Ries

5 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

And that's all there is to it. MyComicsShop doesn't seem to offer "Make An Offer". And my experience with Metropolis they do not accept offers even though they say "Make An Offer". Don't know if that's just consignments or actually owned books.

MyComicShop does offer their sellers the option of "Make an Offer" -

image.thumb.png.592c9fddbcf796b792da895610f623c0.png

And I have made offers which were accepted on ComicConnect, some counter-offered, and some rejected. Couldn't tell you whether they were consignments or not, since the site doesn't say.

12 hours ago, shadroch said:
13 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

After reading this thread, all I know is that I would never want the OP to purchase from me.  To come on to the boards before they ever tried picking up the phone and complain about how bad Comic Connect is.  And then recount one unreasonable demand/expectation after another.  And half of all his posts are in this thread.  If I were Vincent, I'd refund his money and tell him never to purchase from Comic Connect again.

This isn't the sort of person I give any credence to in assessing the quality of any good or service.  I think they're just here to grind an axe and make those guys look bad.  2c

Really. 

The guy paid for the book April 12th. This week, it will be a full two months.

It's obviously too much to expect  them to follow thru on a small thing like this.

It sucks that people feel the need to defend bad behavior. 

The bizarre thing is responding to a refund request by saying metro should refund the money and be done with the OP.

Sometimes simple logic is too much to ask.

11 hours ago, ttfitz said:

MyComicShop does offer their sellers the option of "Make an Offer" -

image.thumb.png.592c9fddbcf796b792da895610f623c0.png

And I have made offers which were accepted on ComicConnect, some counter-offered, and some rejected. Couldn't tell you whether they were consignments or not, since the site doesn't say.

Right you are. My thing was looking at it from the ebay side where I haven't seen "Make An Offer".

My own experience with Metro is they don't take offers. Oh they TAKE them but it seems like I have seen the same books up for years with an offer made and not accepted. When I have called to make offers on some frankly common books, they are denied. Maybe everything I made an offer on was a consignment. But that can't be because I have asked "Is this in stock? Yes? Will you take xxxx? No?" Yeah. Done that a bunch of times and they weren't lowball offers. Whatever.

On 6/4/2021 at 10:57 AM, Randall Dowling said:

After reading this thread, all I know is that I would never want the OP to purchase from me.  To come on to the boards before they ever tried picking up the phone and complain about how bad Comic Connect is.  And then recount one unreasonable demand/expectation after another.  And half of all his posts are in this thread.  If I were Vincent, I'd refund his money and tell him never to purchase from Comic Connect again.

This isn't the sort of person I give any credence to in assessing the quality of any good or service.  I think they're just here to grind an axe and make those guys look bad.  2c

So you think in today's world, an e-mail is not as sufficient as a phone call?

Sorry, next time instead of me trying to communicate through e-mails, (which counts as evidence in the court of law), I will use an old rotary phone and call them, only to get the exact same kind of crappy customer service as I have received through e-mails.

I will need to borrow your old rotary phone though.  Are you willing to sell it to me?

How would you act/be if a huge comic comapny was holdiing $4500 of your own money hostage for over 2 months now?  ComicCONnect didn't even notify the shipper to send the book in that I had paid for previosly 6 weeks at the time.  And you blame me for this? 

How much for your old rotary phone?  I only want a vintage one. 

On 6/4/2021 at 1:03 PM, Randall Ries said:

Yes exactly. Business is business. I send $4200 and I expect the 10-14 business days thing. That's fair. More than that and I hear "They haven't sent the book yet" it's refund or store credit time. Always. Metro can't lose in that case. I'm the guy who will just take store credit. And again, I ask if it's a consignment book. It isn't? Cool. It is? Pass. Or at least I ask if this consignor has a good track record. Then wait the perfunctory 14 days. Day 14, I'm on the horn if the book isn't at the PO.

It specifically says on Comic Connect's website to please wait up to 1 month before they ship out books.  And we are in a pandemic.  did you not realize that? 

But please, keep defending them.  It amuses me and others here.  I think...

Edited by Darkseid of the Moon

1 minute ago, Darkseid of the Moon said:

It specifically says on Comic Connect's website to please wait up to 1 month before they ship out books.  And we are in a pandemic.  did you not realize that? 

Me thinks the 2 randalls are 1 in the same, and are defending comicconect because they share mutual interests.

But please, keep defending them.  It amuses me and others here.  I think...

Too bad if you can't hack it. Cry me a river, Fauntleroy. And the saying is "One AND the same", Biff. Not "One IN the same".

On 6/4/2021 at 1:52 PM, thehumantorch said:

I swear, it's like we're reading entirely different threads.

Email is a perfectly valid form of communication and a form Comic Connect encourages by giving out their email address.  It's also a form of communication that I prefer because it's documented and I can refer back to it whereas a phone call relies on my questionable memory.  Please don't blame the OP for using a form of communication that Comic Connect accepts.

Which unreasonable demand are you referring to?  That they ship what they sold?  That they contact him as promised repeatedly?

The number of his posts in this thread have no relevance.  Is there an issue, who's at fault, what's going on, who's telling the truth?  That's what's important.  Do you really think the OP is full of it when he's posted cut and pastes of emails with Comic Connect including specific Comics and grades and invoice #s?

Thank You for defending me!

I can literally take screenshots of all the e-mails back and forth that I have saved.  If anyone would like to see them.

Except for Randall.  They are that type of person that will never see something in a different way.  Even if physical proof is presented to them. 

FYI, Randall, like Others have stated as well, e-mail is an acceptable form of communication as well as being able to document every sing word between the 2 parties.  How are you going to document the conversations on your old Batman rotary phone?

Edited by Darkseid of the Moon
spelling

6 minutes ago, Darkseid of the Moon said:

Sorry, yes I will keep it civil.

Just can't believe what I was reading.  I know i am kinda new here, I mainly just silently read and observe, but I did not know what to do with this huge upset for me...

But, yes i will abide! Sorry!

If you had settled down long enough and actually read (You CAN READ with comprehension, right? Not just freak out after speed reading an entire thread?) what I had written, you would have found I was on your side. I pointed out I understood where you were coming from and that waiting that great a period of time for a $4200 book is unreasonable. Business is business, I said. Not my job to police the company I buy from, I said.

Indicated I went through the same thing but after 2 weeks, I called and asked "What gives?" When I was uncomfortable with the answer which was "We'll get back to you" I said "Nah. I have store credit now. Let's do THAT instead. Mr. Consignor has decided to sit this out."

But also, I don't mind Metro/CC as a company. They have good pricing most of the time and by not buying consignment books, I get what I want at a decent price. Maybe you are new at this. Dunno. My advice is when placing orders with them, ASK if what you are purchasing is a consignment or in stock book.

Thirdly! Randall Dowling and I are not the same person. Just two different, opinionated people who happen to share an AWESOME name. We were more adversarial toward each other in this thread than usual. Probably didn't read that either.

So, if you uncorked on Metro like you did here going off half cocked? Guess Randall Dowling was closer to defining your situation than I was. SORRY about your book, man. Throw on some "Us And Them" and have a pear or a Clementine.