• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ultimate Fallout 4 1st and 2nd print, what would you rather have?

50 posts in this topic

What would you rather have a Ultimate Fallout 4 1st print in 9.6 or  Ultimate Fallout 4 2nd print 9.8?

Atm they are about the same price .

Ty

Edited by Corners

Historically, this wouldn't even be a question, since "1st is 1st" usually meant that the 1st print was at least a month earlier than the 2nd printing and the cover art was identical anyway.

When it comes to Ultimate Fallout #4, the 1st printings and 2nd printings arrived in the same month, which isn't like 2nd printings in the past.

Additionally, the 2nd printings show MIles' face on the cover, while the 1st printings do not.

So, if Ultimate Fallout #4 2nd printings were from the same month and actually show the new character's face, they have two things that "traditional" 2nd printings don't.

That doesn't make up for the fact that they're 2nd printings, but it does separate them from what is normally meant by "1st is 1st".

Ultimate Fallout #4 2nd printing should be compared (at least briefly) to Captain Marvel (2013) #17 2nd print - which shows a new character on the cover when the 1st print doesn't.

Obviously, it's not the same thing because Ultimate Fallout #4 1st print shows Miles Morales in costume on the cover, but there are dozens of "new costume" Spider-Man books in the past five decades that always had Peter Parker inside.

The first time we know, for sure, from the cover of the book that someone else is in this particular new Spider-Man costume is on the 2nd printing.  That's not the same as Kamala Khan on Captain Marvel #17 2nd printing, but it's not completely unlike it either.

Take those facts about the 2nd printings in combination with how many fewer copies of the 2nd printing exist (released the same month, a few weeks later), and this isn't your standard "1st printing vs. the 2nd printing months later with the exact same cover".

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

Historically, this wouldn't even be a question, since "1st is 1st" usually meant that the 1st print was at least a month earlier than the 2nd printing and the cover art was identical anyway.

When it comes to Ultimate Fallout #4, the 1st printings and 2nd printings arrived in the same month, which isn't like 2nd printings in the past.

Additionally, the 2nd printings show MIles' face on the cover, while the 1st printings do not.

So, if Ultimate Fallout #4 2nd printings were from the same month and actually show the new character's face, they have two things that "traditional" 2nd printings don't.

That doesn't make up for the fact that they're 2nd printings, but it does separate them from what is normally meant by "1st is 1st".

Ultimate Fallout #4 2nd printing should be compared (at least briefly) to Captain Marvel (2013) #17 2nd print - which shows a new character on the cover when the 1st print doesn't.

Obviously, it's not the same thing because Ultimate Fallout #4 1st print shows Miles Morales in costume on the cover, but there are dozens of "new costume" Spider-Man books in the past five decades that always had Peter Parker inside.

The first time we know, for sure, from the cover of the book that someone else is in this particular new Spider-Man costume is on the 2nd printing.  That's not the same as Kamala Khan on Captain Marvel #17 2nd printing, but it's not completely unlike it either.

Take those facts about the 2nd printings in combination with how many fewer copies of the 2nd printing exist (released the same month, a few weeks later), and this isn't your standard "1st printing vs. the 2nd printing months later with the exact same cover".

All very valid points but the market decided that "a few weeks later" with a full face and costume cover for Miles is still less valued. But in the case of CM17 2nd print, the relative extreme rarity of that one compared to UF4 2nd prints is most likely the tipping point for that particular reprint over the 1st print. 

But... when in doubt, get both! (Or all three in the case of Miles) :D

20210530_143704-1.jpg

Edited by jcjames

27 minutes ago, OutOfTimeToys said:

1st print (around 70,000 print run). 2nd print (around 15,000 print run).  Plus 2nd print has a way better cover.  In the long run, the second print will be a harder one to find.  I'd get it while it's still semi-affordable.

the white cover only had 15K? that's the only one I have, but it has a couple of dings, so nothing to get excited about.

37 minutes ago, OutOfTimeToys said:

1st print (around 70,000 print run). 2nd print (around 15,000 print run).  Plus 2nd print has a way better cover.  In the long run, the second print will be a harder one to find.  I'd get it while it's still semi-affordable.

Comichron reports the following: 

"Bagley 1st Printing: Around 91,600 copies

Djurdjevic 1st Printing: Around 1,400 copies

Bagley 2nd Printing: Around 28,500 copies

Pichelli 2nd Printing: Around 28,500 copies"

39 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Comichron reports the following: 

"Bagley 1st Printing: Around 91,600 copies

Djurdjevic 1st Printing: Around 1,400 copies

Bagley 2nd Printing: Around 28,500 copies

Pichelli 2nd Printing: Around 28,500 copies"

Was only Bagley 1st print in a polybag? Traditionally polybagged books are harder to come by in 9.8

Edited by Jordysnordy

1 minute ago, Jordysnordy said:

Was only Bagley 1st print in a polybag? Traditionally polybagged books are harder to come by in 9.9

Not sure.

9.9? You got a high standard there! :D 

1st print, but I'm old fashioned.  A 2nd print is just a glorified reprint in my opinion and shouldn't even be given the designation of "1st appearance".  You're buying a book based on limited supply, not based on the significance of events inside.  I realize that's probably a divisive view, but that's my 2c.

Book to own is UF4 first print newsstand without question . Next in line is the direct . There’s no way second prints should be close in value no matter how low print runs because the cover is direct copy ( big deal it shows his face ) the initial point of the cover was the surprise reveal of the new Spiderman . I doubt the second prints overtake first printings in value . The market set that over the last two years . The only reason second prints climbed in value is because collectors got caught with there pants down not buying the first prints . 

I know that when we talk first appearance nobody cares about context or what’s inside the book but in this case I think it matters... going back to the time when UF4 first came out the book was polybagged, and you were buying it with the mystery of who the next Spider-Man would be, that was the hook they put in the last page of UF3. So not showing Miles face on the cover was intentional and an important part of the story they were trying to tell at the time. This obviously doesn’t matter weeks later when the 2nd print comes out and the news is already out as to who the next Spider-man is. But with the 1st print the reveal wasn’t supposed to be on the cover, if you read UF4 that’s the entire point, the reveal is on the last panel of the last page.  Which brings me to my next point, the last panel of the last page is actually the exact image for the Bagley variant for the 2nd print. So this isn’t even the case that this 2nd print with the mask reveal is a new image for the cover, which isn’t unusual for 2nd prints just want to make sure we’re all aware if that image is what you care about that image actually appeared first in UF4 the FIRST print on the interior. The other version of the 2nd print is also just a minimally changed version of the 1st print cover. 

This is why, for me, it makes no sense to value either of these 2nd prints very much. If you really want the money book it’s the Djurdjevic 1st print cover which also doesn’t reveal his face and is reaching 10k in a 9.6 now.

On 6/6/2021 at 1:14 PM, Corners said:
On 6/5/2021 at 2:42 AM, rckstr1253 said:

Idk speculator site thinks the mole foil version is the one to speculate on now :makepoint:

Yeah, i think only 1000 made of those

Those foreign reprints being limited editions doesn't help much.  It's like a limited edition candy bar "Tres Musketeers".  It's still not the real thing, no matter how limited they make it.

Edited by valiantman