• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Comic Art Show
4 4

264 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Is plagiarism flattery? Is calling your imitation "the very best claim show" flattery? "Copying is the greatest form of flattery" is somehow meant to make everyone feel better about it. Maybe...but really only if the source is acknowledged. Otherwise, it's a ripoff.

This is a ripoff.

I really shouldn't have been shocked by the shamelessness of it all, but still amusing to be told to hang on while they went over the format of the show. Which was a verbatim replica of Bill's show. Presented as if this was totally new and novel. And not something we've all already seen before from someone else. Only instead of rounds, they're "levels". Instead of a recap, it's a "bonus round". Oh, and it will be a pseudo-competition with a "winner" and a "loser". So totally different, not the same thing at all! But unlike "other" shows (gee, I wonder which other show), this one will be more serious and not so funny. Actually, this was quite funny...

You're welcome to root for them. Enjoy your Big Mic. I'll root for those with original ideas. I don't root for knockoffs.

Thank you Felix! What you said publicly  is what a lot of people are saying and thinking behind closed doors.. but fearful of speaking out in fear of annoying their art (drug) suppliers! I was pretty excited about this as who doesn't want another venue to feed the collection, but it was painted as something different and I fail to see any uniqueness ,,,, But if I am free Sunday and they have what i need for a price I can swallow claim will be typed! (and hang out in the comments.. Ill make it funny!)

1 minute ago, J.Sid said:

Nah. This is like watching sports. Missing the point if you are critiquing the format, rules and label.

This is all about the unique items and events that go down live on each individual night.

No, you're missing the point. It's not about a "claim show". There are many ways to do a claim show. This is about co-opting Bill's idea, and pretending it's their own.

3 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Thank you Felix! What you said publicly  is what a lot of people are saying and thinking behind closed doors.. but fearful of speaking out in fear of annoying their art (drug) suppliers! I was pretty excited about this as who doesn't want another venue to feed the collection, but it was painted as something different and I fail to see any uniqueness ,,,, But if I am free Sunday and they have what i need for a price I can swallow claim will be typed! (and hang out in the comments.. Ill make it funny!)

No need to fear annoying these art (drug) dealers. You could insult their mothers, but if you type in "claim", they'll gladly take your money.

52 minutes ago, J.Sid said:

Nah. This is like watching sports. Missing the point if you are critiquing the format, rules and label.

This is all about the unique items and events that go down live on each individual night.

exactly...the original sale show suffers no loss due to the presence of the copy in the marketplace

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

Is plagiarism flattery? Is calling your imitation "the very best claim show" flattery? "Copying is the greatest form of flattery" is somehow meant to make everyone feel better about it. Maybe...but really only if the source is acknowledged. Otherwise, it's a ripoff.

This is a ripoff.

I really shouldn't have been shocked by the shamelessness of it all, but still amusing to be told to hang on while they went over the format of the show. Which was a verbatim replica of Bill's show. Presented as if this was totally new and novel. And not something we've all already seen before from someone else. Only instead of rounds, they're "levels". Instead of a recap, it's a "bonus round". Oh, and it will be a pseudo-competition with a "winner" and a "loser". So totally different, not the same thing at all! But unlike "other" shows (gee, I wonder which other show), this one will be more serious and not so funny. Actually, this was quite funny...

You're welcome to root for them. Enjoy your Big Mic. I'll root for those with original ideas. I don't root for knockoffs.

Technically, Captain Marvel was a knockoff of Superman. But, he eventually started outselling him. 

Also, why was dueling dealers limited to just Burkey & Snyder? Why not rotate in new guys to compete against last week’s winner like Iron Chef? 

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Technically, Captain Marvel was a knockoff of Superman. But, he eventually started outselling him. 

Also, why was dueling dealers limited to just Burkey & Snyder? Why not rotate in new guys to compete against last week’s winner like Iron Chef? 

Dueling dealers was not limited to Burkey and Snyder.  There are episodes with others dueling it out.  :gossip:

3 hours ago, Nexus said:

This is a ripoff.

I get it Felix. To see such a blatant rip-off after what Bill has done with DD is a bit over-the-top. What Bill has done has been transformative and the fact that he did it during a pandemic is even more impressive. He gets both my adoration, as well as my premium CAF member dues. 

Maybe its the business side of me talking and not the hobbyist, but I look at online claim shows as just another evolving sales channel which no one actor is allowed to monopolize. But I totally see your side on this too, since these are people we know too. 

Art sells if priced right, no gimmicks needed. I mean, did anyone miss the memo: This is a Raging Bull Market? lol Ya'll see it happen every Monday night at Heritage, all the time on eBay and seemingly everywhere else too. Art sells if priced right. "Claim" shows...just the latest gimmick to move inventory that isn't priced right. Caveat Emptor and The End.

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Dueling dealers was not limited to Burkey and Snyder.  There are episodes with others dueling it out.  :gossip:

Im not referring to the “amateur” dealers. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 hour ago, Sideshow Bob said:

I get it Felix. To see such a blatant rip-off after what Bill has done with DD is a bit over-the-top. What Bill has done has been transformative and the fact that he did it during a pandemic is even more impressive. He gets both my adoration, as well as my premium CAF member dues. 

Maybe its the business side of me talking and not the hobbyist, but I look at online claim shows as just another evolving sales channel which no one actor is allowed to monopolize. But I totally see your side on this too, since these are people we know too. 

Half the comic book stores in the country did live claim shows. Neal Adams was doing them for months before Bill started doing it. 

I like DD. I watch it frequently. Good for those guys. But there’s plenty of room for competition. That benefits ME as an OA consumer. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Im not referring to the “amateur” dealers. 

What a funny thing to say.  Some of these 'amateur' dealers have been around for decades, as buyers and sellers.  I don't think there's anything 'amateur' about them just because they don't have their own website.  Oh well, to each their own, I suppose.

8 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

What a funny thing to say.  Some of these 'amateur' dealers have been around for decades, as buyers and sellers.  I don't think there's anything 'amateur' about them just because they don't have their own website.  Oh well, to each their own, I suppose.

Ive been around like 5 minutes lol (3 years) and I do not think @dichotomymuch longer.. I think Jordan is the only one who has been a pseudo dealer..

Show rip-off or not, I’m glad there will be another attempt to make an OA show, but this will only work if the art is priced within reason. If not, it’s a waste of their time and ours.

I like Bechara a lot! I just bought a piece from him last week. What I like about this is we get more access to him, which for me, is a good thing. I know he’s got A LOT of great art squired away. He’s a knowledgeable guy with similar tastes to what most of us like. Again, the prices have to be right, otherwise the show will not sustain.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Your dispute is with Bill, not me. They call themselves “amateurs.” 

1 hour ago, Timely said:

Show rip-off or not, I’m glad there will be another attempt to make an OA show, but this will only work if the art is priced within reason. If not, it’s a waste of their time and ours.

I like Bechara a lot! I just bought a piece from him last week. What I like about this is we get more access to him, which for me, is a good thing. I know he’s got A LOT of great art squired away. He’s a knowledgeable guy with similar tastes to what most of us like. Again, the prices have to be right, otherwise the show will not sustain.

Knowledgeable is questionable.

I like Bechara (and his taste in art), so I'll give the new show a try, although I suspect a lot of us will be busy on Sunday afternoons, particularly over the summer.  I was also a bit taken aback by how similar the format is to Dueling Dealers. I was really hoping for something different, but ultimately what's important is what art are they selling and at what prices.