• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Comic Art Show
4 4

264 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

He is trying to make money on a hot market.. hoping someone impulse buys without research. these guys have to get inventory somewhere and if they are not finding collectors to buy from they raid each others inventory where they think they can get more for it. Does that mean its right? Not sure.. but it means we as consumers need to be educated and diligent . Burkey and Anthony are much more open to make fair trades so there inventory replenishes quicker and at a price that is not public, and they can then sell at market value. That is why there show is sustainable. I made an offer on Bechara Romita spidey sketch...he scoffed at my offer. It was very nice.. but also personalized. burkey has sold at least ten of those sketches on DD ... I will get one at the price I want eventually. 

I have traded with Anthony & Mike as well.  The trades with Mike seemed to favor him price wise, but I was happy with what I got.  Trades with Anthony seemed more even and I got what I was looking for.

32 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I made an offer on Bechara Romita spidey sketch...he scoffed at my offer. It was very nice.. but also personalized. burkey has sold at least ten of those sketches on DD ...

Dedication still in place? Someone forgot to read the manual ;) 

Glen and Bechara have always priced aggressively, this is not new. Pricing will need to be adjusted if they want to continue with the show. 

The show was about what I expected. Here are my observations.

First...I found the comments during the show interesting. Everyone was saying where's this, where's that, referencing DD. They wanted to know who was winning, what were the totals, will there be memes, someone even mentioned cake. It seems like they wanted the exact same show. Why??

The show needs to be different if it's going to succeed. It can't be a carbon copy.

Second...it's the exact same audience. Literally, it's the same people participating in DD and DM. DM had 200 viewers yesterday and DD gets around 300 and it's the same 25-20 people chatting in both. 

Bechara and Glen need to bring in their clientele or expand who they are reaching. Bill has the entirety of CAF to lean on and he only gets 300 viewers watching live. Both shows need to expand and build  their audience. 

Third...and is an extension of the second and is a problem for both shows...it's the same small handful of people buying each show. It's not sustainable. Yes, their are lots of different folks buying, I've bought once, but the majority of art goes to the same people. You hear the same names week after week on multiple pieces. This is not good. 

That's what I see. 

10 minutes ago, Shemp said:

First...I found the comments during the show interesting. Everyone was saying where's this, where's that, referencing DD. They wanted to know who was winning, what were the totals, will there be memes, someone even mentioned cake. It seems like they wanted the exact same show. Why??

The show needs to be different if it's going to succeed. It can't be a carbon copy.

The comments I believe were sarcasm, as the show was a watered down copy of DD with no originality... the preview of it billed it as a contest, a contest has a score. There are a million things they could have done to be original and did none of them ... if there was going to be no originality then just call it a claim show and not have all of the hoopla. 

The reason DD is so successful , at least in my mind, even if I am not buying I will still tune in to be entertained and chit chat with the peanut gallery. 

35 minutes ago, MOStateSuperman said:
16 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

The comments I believe were sarcasm,

100%

After the past couple days, the next show could be a doozy for sure.

3 hours ago, DFart said:

I love how Burkey's first page out of the block (after the first DM show) was a $250 Pop Mhan page from the same issue that Glen was trying to get $2000 

Haven't seen the pages so I shouldn't laugh, but that's got to be the "Stat of the Day"

On 6/3/2021 at 4:19 PM, Nexus said:

Dealmaker: Look...me and the Dueling Dealers people...we got this little misunderstanding.

Audience: <confused>

Dealmaker: See, they're the Dueling Dealers. We're the Dueling DealMAKERS.

Audience: <skeptical>

Dealmaker: They got rounds. Ours are..."levels".

Audience: <playing along>

Dealmaker: See, they got a claim show. We got a claim program. We both have two dealers competing to see who will sell the most, with a winner and a loser at the end. BUT...they do their show on Wednesday. We do ours on Sunday.

Edited by Nexus

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

Dealmaker: Look...me and the Dueling Dealers people...we got this little misunderstanding.

Audience: <confused>

Dealmaker: See, they're the Dueling Dealers. We're the Dueling DealMAKERS.

Audience: <skeptical>

Dealmaker: They got rounds. Ours are..."levels".

Audience: <playing along>

Dealmaker: See, they got a claim show. We got a claim program. We both have two dealers competing to see who will sell the most, with a winner and a loser at the end. BUT...they try to get $250 for their Pop Mhan pages. We try to get $2000 for ours.

Semantics. 

7 hours ago, artdealer said:

Semantics. 

Some people like sesame seeds on their buns, some don’t. Personally, I just eat the salads.
There is more to life than watching dealers hawk wares that aren’t true pricing fights unless they lead to a lower price for viewers. Let’s see if they have the brass to run a Dutch auction on pieces. I doubt it. That, I would watch.

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Some people like sesame seeds on their buns, some don’t. Personally, I just eat the salads.
There is more to life than watching dealers hawk wares that aren’t true pricing fights unless they lead to a lower price for viewers. Let’s see if they have the brass to run a Dutch auction on pieces. I doubt it. That, I would watch.

You’ll see hell freeze over before that happens.