• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase 17 Variant?

3 posts in this topic

Just came across this and was intrigued. It's definitely a "variant" but of a different sort. I would have thought something like this would have been low value years ago but today's market seems to be focused on the rarity aspect (e.g. 2nd/3rd prints with low print runs have followings for that reason alone). I can't imagine anything more rare than this (and at 9.8 to boot which is sorta amazing no matter what for a 62 year old book - Gaines files excluded :wink:https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dshowcase%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1490686&id=1490686&itemType=0

* to qualify "more rare than this" it is that DC did not do it on purpose and that these covers were attached to any type of book (saw an adventure 181 on HA) and this one happened to get attached to a major key SC17. The covers seem to be from a 1944 book. So you have covers that stayed around for 14 years before going on a SC17 in 1958. Seems like some serious star alignment. ..Nevermind someone held onto this outcast so long in 9.8 condition. Maybe the only 1 like it there is is what I was trying to say about rare. Obviously Action 1 9.8 would be up there on the imagination list but I am not aware of that existing.