USPS ruined a golden age gem
3 3

149 posts in this topic

I have seen horror shows but this is the George Romero of shipping.  I am so sorry.  If it's any consolation at least it wasn't a seriously expensive comic.  Hopefully you get insurance to cover this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I notice no one was willing to initial the recieved damaged sticker.
Does the post office pay when they demolish something?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've seen some bad stuff but nothing like this.  Very sorry to see this happen to the OP.

AFAIK, USPS Priority comes with a standard $50 insurance but anything more has to be purchased at time of shipping.  

Again, very tough treatment of a box...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was getting ready to blame whoever shipped it to you, thinking they just put it in one of those flimsy cardboard USPS envelopes. I cant believe they mangled that box that far beyond recognition. 

 

You have an easy claim if it was insured. They won't ask you to have over the book. You just submit the claim with pics and they'll mail you a check for their determined amount

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gary Strange said:

Yes it was packed and padded, it's like they ran over it with the truck.

I didn't see any tire tracks, but there is definitely some dirt on the package.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Nic8612 said:

I was getting ready to blame whoever shipped it to you, thinking they just put it in one of those flimsy cardboard USPS envelopes. I cant believe they mangled that box that far beyond recognition. 

 

You have an easy claim if it was insured. They won't ask you to have over the book. You just submit the claim with pics and they'll mail you a check for their determined amount

What is the determined amount?  The price you paid for?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Wolverinex said:

What is the determined amount?  The price you paid for?

Generally no. They assign a value to the damage done and give you that, assuming it was insured for enough.  

 

For example: I had a JIM 83 get damaged during shipping because Desert Wind Comics is run by people who know nothing about how to handle comics (mailed it to me in a freaking envelope). One of the corners was torn off of the book and USPS sent me a check for a whopping $200

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

What is the determined amount?  The price you paid for?

If you didn't declare a value, it's $50. If you want more, even if it insured you have to show the books worth, and good luck trying to convince them a two inch tear ruins the books value.

Edited by shadroch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Nic8612 said:

Generally no. They assign a value to the damage done and give you that, assuming it was insured for enough.  

 

For example: I had a JIM 83 get damaged during shipping because Desert Wind Comics is run by people who know nothing about how to handle comics (mailed it to me in a freaking envelope). One of the corners was torn off of the book and USPS sent me a check for a whopping $200

Question- Why did USPS pay you, the receiver, instead of the sender, who purchased the insurance?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3