• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS ruined a golden age gem
3 3

149 posts in this topic

I notice no one was willing to initial the recieved damaged sticker.
Does the post office pay when they demolish something?

I've seen some bad stuff but nothing like this.  Very sorry to see this happen to the OP.

AFAIK, USPS Priority comes with a standard $50 insurance but anything more has to be purchased at time of shipping.  

Again, very tough treatment of a box...

I was getting ready to blame whoever shipped it to you, thinking they just put it in one of those flimsy cardboard USPS envelopes. I cant believe they mangled that box that far beyond recognition. 

You have an easy claim if it was insured. They won't ask you to have over the book. You just submit the claim with pics and they'll mail you a check for their determined amount

1 hour ago, Gary Strange said:

A picture is worth 1000 words:

189449683_154090789974720_2803976056402413052_n.thumb.jpg.8ff87e2f5ab75e0b4309969781263fc3.jpg

190688155_2608910689409909_6257401097065210236_n.thumb.jpg.242652524491c012f5d5527358813c0d.jpg

What's the sticker "received in damaged condition" about?

He gave it to the post office like that ?  :insane:

42 minutes ago, Nic8612 said:

I was getting ready to blame whoever shipped it to you, thinking they just put it in one of those flimsy cardboard USPS envelopes. I cant believe they mangled that box that far beyond recognition. 

You have an easy claim if it was insured. They won't ask you to have over the book. You just submit the claim with pics and they'll mail you a check for their determined amount

What is the determined amount?  The price you paid for?

Just now, Wolverinex said:

Generally no. They assign a value to the damage done and give you that, assuming it was insured for enough.  

For example: I had a JIM 83 get damaged during shipping because Desert Wind Comics is run by people who know nothing about how to handle comics (mailed it to me in a freaking envelope). One of the corners was torn off of the book and USPS sent me a check for a whopping $200

6 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

If you didn't declare a value, it's $50. If you want more, even if it insured you have to show the books worth, and good luck trying to convince them a two inch tear ruins the books value.

Edited by shadroch

7 minutes ago, Nic8612 said:

Generally no. They assign a value to the damage done and give you that, assuming it was insured for enough.  

For example: I had a JIM 83 get damaged during shipping because Desert Wind Comics is run by people who know nothing about how to handle comics (mailed it to me in a freaking envelope). One of the corners was torn off of the book and USPS sent me a check for a whopping $200

Question- Why did USPS pay you, the receiver, instead of the sender, who purchased the insurance?