• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS ruined a golden age gem
3 3

149 posts in this topic

Jokes aside. This sucks when it happens. The recieved damaged sticker is usually placed by one of the post offices when they get the package from another carrier/office . Through the tracking you should see roughly where/when that was added. It at least signals that the damage was done at one of the prior hubs/offices. I have had this happen a few times. My last one was really lucky.  Still do not know how its contents were fine as they were raw comics still sealed in a multi pack no bag or board except its original package. This was how the box arrived.. 20210606_022212.thumb.jpg.422ace2add4c6c97bdce7d897f8e23f7.jpg20201106_142748.thumb.jpg.7c76bb8fb427fd85ceba96d7b68b1040.jpg20201106_142756.thumb.jpg.dab50af25f0d4890d839262a17ac9815.jpg

42 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

When I looked at the first image, I thought you were gonna tell us that you just received a package shipped two years ago.

Nope.  I did have one take three months once from a dealer than normally only took a week.  I just happened to still have the photos since I sent them to the seller to help him make his claim on damage to the book.

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I wish I could say I've never seen something that bad before.  All I can claim is that it's rare in my experience... and luckily, I was only dealing with a book under $50 with international shipping, not a classic EC book like that. To the seller's credit, they quickly gave me a full refund.  I still have no clue what the heck could have done damage like that:

d.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

'Best' I've seen was someone asking on Twitter how the USPS had managed to mangle their new door in shipping. Photos were posted, the thing was in a bit of an 'S' shape. A DOOR! 

To the OP, sorry this happened to you, and I hope you find another copy for the same price that's as good, if not better, than that one. I also hope the seller gets full restitution. 

9 hours ago, CatskillMike said:

Question- Why did USPS pay you, the receiver, instead of the sender, who purchased the insurance?

They can pay either it's just whoever files. I've had to file a few because of this exact issue with the flat rates. Gets caught in the machine, or they just ram it into the box. I deal in cards, not comics but it happens to those as well.

That hurts.  In the past when I had a package damaged as a seller, I just provided the USPS pictures of the damage and then they reimbursed me the amount I insured the package for and I refunded the buyer their money back.

It seems evident to me that those USPS boxes are simply not up to the job. I've never sent out a slab in anything other than a double corrugated box, and I'm receiving more and more books from US dealers in said boxes, which usefully I can reuse to ship out. I'm sorry to the OP for his disappointment..........2c

sorry for OP for his terrible loss here. yes, as @mrc said, no one should EVER use usps garbage boxes to ship comics unless they are worth under five bucks. total garbage boxes thinner than printer paper. it's plainly obvious if you pick one up just how cheap and worthless they are. 

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

An empty box is the same as a mailer. For a box to be effective it has to be FULL of packing materials. Can't tell you how many boxes I get, with books just flopping away in the empty cavern, because the submitter couldn't be bothered to even add newspaper to keep the box from getting crushed. 

I bet the folks at CGC who open packages have some horror stories to tell!

4 hours ago, mrc said:

It seems evident to me that those USPS boxes are simply not up to the job. I've never sent out a slab in anything other than a double corrugated box, and I'm receiving more and more books from US dealers in said boxes, which usefully I can reuse to ship out. I'm sorry to the OP for his disappointment..........2c

I've found that putting the book inside a padded mailer and then putting that in between cardboard and then putting that inside a USPS box and then putting that inside a sturdy cardboard box with extra padding usually works out pretty well... 

47 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I've found that putting the book inside a padded mailer and then putting that in between cardboard and then putting that inside a USPS box and then putting that inside a sturdy cardboard box with extra padding usually works out pretty well... 

I basically go slab, cardboard, bubble wrap, then foam padding from my dcbs subscription on the sides.  If the slab has room to slide around the box, then I feel like I haven't packed it well enough.  For whatever good it does, I also bought giant orange stickers that say FRAGILE on them.

54 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I basically go slab, cardboard, bubble wrap, then foam padding from my dcbs subscription on the sides.  If the slab has room to slide around the box, then I feel like I haven't packed it well enough.  For whatever good it does, I also bought giant orange stickers that say FRAGILE on them.

Better too much than not enough...

16 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I package 2 used mattresses I find in back alleys between drek, is that overkill guys?  hm

Only if you soil them yourself before use.

If the box is too big there are easy steps to cut it down to size.

• Take an old school ruler.  Remember those?  They were wood.  I have one in my desk in front of me that is 18" long.  There is a reason I mention the size. 
  • On the corners of your box mark off whatever amount you want to trim the box by on all four corners.  Say you are knocking off 3".
  • Use a scissors and cut to those marks.
  • Line the ruler up with the new cuts and fold the new flap across the flat of the ruler on all four sides. Line up the ruler and bend the entire side with the palm of your hand. 
  • Trim the new flaps if necessary. 
  • Send away and you can reduce the size of your box.

As Joe said, fill it up so it does not flop around or cut it down to side. 

16 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

If the box is too big there are easy steps to cut it down to size.

• Take an old school ruler.  Remember those?  They were wood.  I have one in my desk in front of me that is 18" long.  There is a reason I mention the size. 
  • On the corners of your box mark off whatever amount you want to trim the box by on all four corners.  Say you are knocking off 3".
  • Use a scissors and cut to those marks.
  • Line the ruler up with the new cuts and fold the new flap across the flat of the ruler on all four sides. Line up the ruler and bend the entire side with the palm of your hand. 
  • Trim the new flaps if necessary. 
  • Send away and you can reduce the size of your box.

As Joe said, fill it up so it does not flop around or cut it down to side. 

That's what she said. @kav

23 hours ago, Gary Strange said:

A picture is worth 1000 words:

189449683_154090789974720_2803976056402413052_n.thumb.jpg.8ff87e2f5ab75e0b4309969781263fc3.jpg

190688155_2608910689409909_6257401097065210236_n.thumb.jpg.242652524491c012f5d5527358813c0d.jpg

Ouch that’s terrible 

22 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

What is the determined amount?  The price you paid for?

Once my package worth $100 was damaged by USPS in transit. It was insured for $50. 

I assessed the damage at $35 which was equal to the cost of getting them pressed ($10 per comic, $15 per magazine). It was approved.

I think someone at USPS need to approve your claim. Not sure if they would outright give you the max value insured.

That is terrible. Origin of the Crypt-Keeper is such an iconic issue. I’m also not convinced, based on the damage, any type of “bomb-proofing” would have helped here.  :tonofbricks:

21 hours ago, Gary Strange said:

The seller is giving me a full refund. I think if he wants to send it back to CGC for a press and regrade it might still be salvageable. But it ain’t gonna be a 5.0 again. 

No need for a press instead they should try PGX . That’s easily a 8.0 on their grading scale…:bigsmile: