• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS ruined a golden age gem
3 3

149 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I wish I could say I've never seen something that bad before.  All I can claim is that it's rare in my experience... and luckily, I was only dealing with a book under $50 with international shipping, not a classic EC book like that. To the seller's credit, they quickly gave me a full refund.  I still have no clue what the heck could have done damage like that:

d.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

Given the book's title, maybe reading the story will tell us exactly what actually happened to it   :idea:

34 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

My youngest son (24) really got into chess this last year, so I asked my brother about his 50 year old, hand-carved onyx chess set he picked up in Mexico on a HS field trip. It had a hand made box that opened into a board, with inlaid dark and light rectangles.  Oh yeah, he said, we'll ship it to you!  No, no, no..., that would take too much packing (and instruction) for it ever to get here in less than broken pieces. We had some relatives hand transport it down through some family meetings.

I would know where to start on packing such a monstrosity, but your average Joe...., no way.

So lizards play chess, huh?hm

58CAE818-DDFC-48C4-B36F-4C2A5393BFAC.thumb.jpeg.c9b241dfc49588839359d87eaea9cc54.jpeg

EBE832D0-3A9C-4088-B8A6-C97644A11666.thumb.jpeg.17ae94c83c3a16ff292c3c0a732a1b97.jpeg

832CCCF7-8BA8-4014-9778-D8C639DCB418.thumb.jpeg.3c24039b47ecfc44271fbfe4fa53a5a7.jpeg

5DA84E60-7F56-419C-A5D0-BC160A5F32A9.gif.05290bb4d1eef7ccf60a2a1eb17444a9.gif

12 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I don't have a pic, but the pieces are just like those below.  I am going up to my son's house for a couple days soon, so will try to get a pic, Alzheimer's permitting.

Image 1 - Aztec Tiki Stone Marble Quartz Chess Full Set

the lower ones look like chocolate!  :cloud9:

19 minutes ago, Tnexus said:

Fun fact! The USPS processes over 24,000,000 packages per day.

That's over 31,000 offices, which means on average, each office is processing about 775 pieces per day. Obviously some are going to be much higher and lower but that's the numbers.

On 6/6/2021 at 7:53 AM, mrc said:

It seems evident to me that those USPS boxes are simply not up to the job. I've never sent out a slab in anything other than a double corrugated box, and I'm receiving more and more books from US dealers in said boxes, which usefully I can reuse to ship out. I'm sorry to the OP for his disappointment..........2c

For priority mail boxes...a well packed 1092 inside a 1095 (double-boxed). Never had an issue (knock on wood). 

4 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

For priority mail boxes...a well packed 1092 inside a 1095 (double-boxed). Never had an issue (knock on wood). 

I really don't think it mattered how the seller packed the book, it was gross negligence on the part of the USPS.

Edited by Gary Strange

5 minutes ago, Gary Strange said:

I really don't think it mattered how the seller packed the book, it was gross negligence on the part of the USPS.

I don't disagree. Just felt relevant. I'm still grateful for someone who posted their method (which was that) somewhere... Otherwise I would have never figured out that those two specific boxes nest so well....

3 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I don't disagree. Just felt relevant. I'm still grateful for someone who posted their method (which was that) somewhere... Otherwise I would have never figured out that those two specific boxes nest so well....

Totally agree.  It's always good to share best practices when shipping slabs.  But I think this is a good reminder to insure higher value books for the full amount because things like this can and do happen.

Edited by Gary Strange

I had a seller that shipped me 4 slabbed books by media mail.

Well, the post office must've opened the box to inspect it.

They unwrapped all the bubble wrap off the slabs and then they just threw the slabs back in the box unprotected.

By the time it got to me it was crushed and all 4 slabs were in pieces.

I filed a received damaged claim with ebay and got a refund.

It's the sellers responsibility to get it to you in one piece.

Are these Priority boxes?

That could be the problem. Sellers should use flat rate boxes and not Priority boxes.

Flat rate boxes are kept together at the post office so they are easily stacked.

Priority can go in any size or shape of box and they literally get tossed from bin to bin with all types of other packages.