• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I have a 9.6 slab cracked, cleaned, and pressed to try to get a 9.8?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Long story short, as a newbie at grading, I submitted a book that could have used a clean & press, but I didn't know anything about that then, and got a 9.6. I've since learned more and that there are "pressable defects" that can be eliminated with a clean and press. 

I have a 9.6 Secret Wars SS Shooter, Beaty, Zeck. The grader notes say:

Center Front Cover Multiple Finger Bends
Spine Stress Lines

Does "spine stress lines" mean breaking color or just detectable by finger? The edge of the comic is off-white and looking the comic through the slab, I personally can't see any breaking color lines. 

The current difference between a 9.6 and 9.8 is roughly $500. 

Would it make sense for me to have the slab cracked, have it cleaned and pressed, and then re-submitted in the attempt to get a 9.8?

Many Thanks!

Spider-Man Black Costume.jpeg

17 minutes ago, JohnInMke said:

Long story short, as a newbie at grading, I submitted a book that could have used a clean & press, but I didn't know anything about that then, and got a 9.6. I've since learned more and that there are "pressable defects" that can be eliminated with a clean and press. 

Does "spine stress lines" mean breaking color or just detectable by finger? The edge of the comic is off-white and looking the comic through the slab, I personally can't see any breaking color lines. 

Would it make sense for me to have the slab cracked, have it cleaned and pressed, and then re-submitted in the attempt to get a 9.8?

Many Thanks!

I was under the impression that if you send in an ungraded copy with signatures, that since CGC wasn't there to witness it being signed, it would get a Qualified label. Even though you have the original label that you could include, I don't believe they would accept that. What proof do they have that its actually the same book as the label suggests? I'd suggest calling them and find out what the correct course of action would be in order to avoid any qualified label coming back. As far as the regrading, its hard to say since the detail of the book doesn't seem to show much, aside from the bottom right corner. Personally, I've never resubbed a book but that's just my preference. Many other boardie members have and some with great success but others...not so much. It's a gamble either way. Sigs are well placed though. (thumbsu Good luck!

Edited by Timeless icons

1 hour ago, JohnInMke said:

Many Thanks!

Why would you have it cleaned? 

39 minutes ago, ___!___!___ said:

You have to send it to CCS is all. Joey used to be able to do it but CGC got greedy and cut him out.

Ahhh... so CCS will crack the slab, press it and then pass that along to CGC with notations that it was a pre-graded SS and regrade it as such? I've heard Joeypost was the go-to boardie to press orders but I'm unclear on what they cut him out on. 

1 hour ago, Timeless icons said:

... the detail of the book doesn't seem to show much, aside from the bottom right corner ...

Yeah, taking photos of a slabbed book seems pretty difficult given the reflectivity of the case. I'm not sure what can be done about that. 

20 minutes ago, ___!___!___ said:

For years Joe could work on SS books and still retain a Yellow label, but not anymore.

I thought that might have been what you meant. I never even thought of that as a possibility outside of CGC at all. 

46 minutes ago, JohnInMke said:

Yeah, taking photos of a slabbed book seems pretty difficult given the reflectivity of the case. I'm not sure what can be done about that. 

Understandable. 

Good luck with the submission if you decide to regrade it. :wishluck:

19 minutes ago, Timeless icons said:

I thought that might have been what you meant. I never even thought of that as a possibility outside of CGC at all. 

From the Q&A page https://www.cgccomics.com/ccs-pressing/

Yes. We are authorized by CGC to press Signature Series books as long as the submitter chooses to have them transferred directly from CCS to CGC. The books can either be pressed after they are signed (and before they are graded), or encapsulated Signature Series comics can be submitted in their holder to CCS for pressing. It is recommended that all signatures are obtained on a comic before pressing. It’s important to remember that if a Signature Series holder is not opened by CCS nor in the presence of a SS witness, CGC’s signature authentication is null and void.

Please note that CGC will charge the applicable Signature Series grading fees, but the CCS fee will remain the standard charge for pressing Signature Series comics. CGC graders will know only that the book is Signature Series and have no knowledge of the previous grade or any work performed by CCS.

On 6/6/2021 at 3:10 PM, JohnInMke said:

Many Thanks!

Definitely worth it for this book, the dfference between 9.6 and 9.8 are rather significant. Worth a go!

Good luck and let us know the result.

On 6/6/2021 at 3:10 PM, JohnInMke said:

Many Thanks!

No

My opinion is any advice based on the image presented is simply not valid.  Unless you are flipper not worth taking a chance. If you not happy with a 9.6 you certainly won't like 9.4 to the point just looking at it in a 9.4 slab might disgust you.  Still any who ask the question likley all ready have their mind made up anyhow - so good luck with re-subbing it.

Edited by MAR1979