• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Anime And Things We Threw in Because We Couldn't Find Enough Anime Auction

57 posts in this topic

Apologies if there was a thread on this.  And maybe I'm wrong, maybe they put in a bunch of unrelated non-anime stuff to get people to look at it all vs. they weren't able to find enough anime, although I don't think they'd really have needed to do that.

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Ns=Price|1&N=3185+793+794+791+1893+792+2088+4294941652&ic4=SortBy-071515

Of course it figures the only things I'm interested in, the Studio Ghibli items, seemed to go super high super fast...even the sort of bland Kiki's Delivery Service master background was up to 15k after a day.  Is it just me, or were some of these not listed as featured items till after the auction went live?  I don't think they were 2 or 3 days prior when it struck me as odd that they weren't.

image.png.93092c2e9d5544105b9c1854435578d9.png

https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art/kiki-s-delivery-service-kiki-production-cel-setup-with-key-master-background-studio-ghibli-1989-/a/7254-18178.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

I didn't really know what to expect with these since you don't see a ton of anime related art come in HA's history, and I haven't actively hunted for anything prior to a year or two ago.

I've heard that there were a lot of anime cels etc being peddled at shows during the 90s and 2000s....so as much as I like some of these I'm probably sitting this one out and going to see where they land and what get's flushed out later by these seemingly pretty high prices already.

Edited by szav

I thought some of the items were interesting.   Didn’t bother me that there’s other stuff thrown in.   Looking forward to seeing where these end.  

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

I thought some of the items were interesting.   Didn’t bother me that there’s other stuff thrown in.   Looking forward to seeing where these end.  

There are some nice looking pieces, although nothing I'm in love with.  I can think of dozens of more memorable scenes from the Studio Ghibli movies and countless anime series

I like the Totoro waiting at the bus stop in the rain background.  My question on all these is the rather obvious one of how much of this is out there or will ever be available, given that there's little history on HA.  A few people have told me there used to be quite a bit floating around, but with regards to items from Studio Ghibli are these rarities that somehow snuck out that we wont see often or is there a lot more to come?

Price wise are they going to hit the same range as similar items from Disney or other popular movies?  It looks like they will be anyway.  I look forward to where they'll end to but am a bit fearful of it as well.

I don't think I've ever seen a Studio Ghibli movie yet. I know people were crazy for the Mondo posters for the movies back in the day when Mondo had good posters to sell. Quick search on Yahoo Japan auctions and Mandarake for Ghibli cels might help pricing.

https://www.jauce.com/search/Ghibli+cel?query=Ghibli+cel&auccat=&aucminprice=&aucmaxprice=&aucmin_bidorbuy_price=&aucmax_bidorbuy_price=&f=&fixed=&pstagefree=&thumb=&istatus=&select=02&n=100&link=

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemsListEn.html?te-uniquekey=17a0375057b

I'll go over Heritage's catalog this weekend. See what they found. Most of the good stuff that I've seen or heard of tends to be with collectors already. I've heard the stories too about all the good cels being available in the early 90s at conventions and dealers. Also that cels, sketches, and backgrounds were thrown away. But then you see cels with laser copy backgrounds. I don't think the average person had access to a machine and materials to make a laser copy of an original anime background. So some companies were making copy backgrounds so the cel could be sold or given away and displayed as complete.

But the cel and matching original background should make any scene far more valuable since that background tends to be one of a kind. And the cel isn't unless it's some kind of pan scene or static shot. Plus the cel is a copy anyway which is probably why people don't see them as valuable as original comic / illustration artwork or the cel sketches. But that's still debatable as I would love to get an original cel and background to many shows however I've yet to see them for sale or in a gallery. I haven't seen any GI Joe opening cels or backgrounds to this day. They were animated in Japan.

Edited by GeneticNinja

23 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

I don't think I've ever seen a Studio Ghibli movie yet.

I only recall noticing Spirited Away and Ponyo during their theatrical releases in the US.  Both received a lot of critical acclaim and did well from what I recall.  We recently watched those two, and My Neighbor Totoro with our young kids and they loved them all so I'd say they're still worth watching.  They're definitely slower paced with less flashy lights than current kids movies I'd say though...which depending on how you feel about it can be a good or a bad thing I  guess.

Interesting sites you linked, its kinda hard to tell with a lot of this what might have really been used in the movies or what's just a sanctioned reproduction of one sort or another.  It makes me a bit wary of buying anything...even on HA.

12 hours ago, szav said:

I only recall noticing Spirited Away and Ponyo during their theatrical releases in the US.  Both received a lot of critical acclaim and did well from what I recall.  We recently watched those two, and My Neighbor Totoro with our young kids and they loved them all so I'd say they're still worth watching.  They're definitely slower paced with less flashy lights than current kids movies I'd say though...which depending on how you feel about it can be a good or a bad thing I  guess.

Interesting sites you linked, its kinda hard to tell with a lot of this what might have really been used in the movies or what's just a sanctioned reproduction of one sort or another.  It makes me a bit wary of buying anything...even on HA.

I watched a couple of them with my kids too, and really enjoyed them.   I'd recommend them to anyone.    Slower paced but in an excellent way from my POV anyways.

Edited by Bronty

13 hours ago, szav said:

I understand your concern.   I've posted here a few times about what I consider clearly fake manga art run through heritage.    I don't think they have the knowledge to really vet it.

Now, I have no reason to think these cels are anything but legit, but I hear you.

Edited by Bronty

To recap one past example, in 2010 a totoro poster sells on heritage.    https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/animation/my-neighbor-totoro-toho-1988-japanese-b2-2025-x-285-style-b-animated/a/510111-51260.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

In 2017, well that's convenient, the exact same scene (shucks how lucky) sells as original art (and now has offers up to $20k).   

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/animation/my-neighbor-totoro-by-hayao-miyazaki-2007-autographed-original-watercolor-and-ink-artwork-95-x-1075-/a/7181-86466.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

To my eye, the palette is wrong, the linework is way too bold for the artist, and its incredibly convenient that he just happened to recreate the movie poster.     I think its more likely that someone used the movie poster as easy reference for a fake.     I also have a hard time believing an accomplished artist drew the branch Totoro is sitting on.   I think this is also supposed to be a night time scene not day time?  He's supposed to be playing a flute in the moonlight, not the sunlight (unless there's another scene?) 

I'm no expert; I could be wrong.

But to me, this piece doesn't add up.

compare to the following which all show a more delicate line:

Ghibli museum known authentic examples of his work here:   https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/hayao-miyazaki-academy-exhibit-unveiled-storyboards-1234585608/

and Book cover   https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1041734004&ref=list&keyword=totoro&lang=en

watercolor   https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=435522

I found one example with a bolder line - but look at the slow line speed and hte delicate turns of the line.   Unlike the bold swaths above.    Note also that it sold for $300,000 which makes you wonder why the heritage example sold for a few k.    https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=570452

Edited by Bronty

There is a Facebook thread about some of the Disney art being fake and the comment thread that follows hatched a conspiracy that much of this Disney work is fake.

It seemed to have support among the posters that the high end Mary Blair and Eyvind Earle art was fake. No clue if true or not. 

The Facebook page was of one of the artists, whose name escapes me (edit: Ward Kimball). 

The lot that sparked the comment on the artist's page: https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art/mickey-mouse-sketch-by-ward-kimball-walt-disney-c-1960-70s-/p/7255-52005.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by cstojano

12 minutes ago, cstojano said:

There is a Facebook thread about some of the Disney art being fake and the comment thread that follows hatched a conspiracy that much of this Disney work is fake.

It seemed to have support among the posters that the high end Mary Blair and Eyvind Earle art was fake. No clue if true or not. 

The Facebook page was of one of the artists, whose name escapes me (edit: Ward Kimball). 

The lot that sparked the comment on the artist's page: https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art/mickey-mouse-sketch-by-ward-kimball-walt-disney-c-1960-70s-/p/7255-52005.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Where is that thread on Facebook? Hard to judge without evidence. Certainly sketches are more easily faked than some art forms.

9 minutes ago, RBerman said:

Where is that thread on Facebook? Hard to judge without evidence. Certainly sketches are more easily faked than some art forms.

It is on Ward Kimball's personal page. Do a search for his name, it is how I found it. 

Edited by cstojano

Just now, cstojano said:

It is on Ward Kimball's personal page. Do a search, it is how I found it. 

I don't know who is running that page but here is one comment that stuck out. Like I said, I have no idea on Disney art so cannot judge. Nor do I know anyone's intentions. 

Hopefully someday there'll be a whistleblower to reveal the whole thing. Just look at all the "Eyvind Earle" concept paintings they've sold of the Dragon from Sleeping Beauty. Earle may have done a handful of paintings with the Dragon, not dozens of them. Besides the fact that it doesn't represent his painting style or palettes, if compared to the ones that we know are originals, the scenes are random too. Earle would have had a clear vision for the structure of the story; there is no record of him making lots of different paintings of the same scene with varying color palettes.

Sorry I didn't actually know you could link to a facebook page like that. Yes this is the link. Curious to hear other's takes on this. I have bought a lot of animation art form them and never had any issue or any suspicion the pieces were fake. But Disney art is another realm from what I typically buy. 

What said, this Mickey Mouse drawing is awful in every way. 

Edited by cstojano

19 hours ago, szav said:

On Mandarake, I don't think people are spending up to 4,100,000 Yen on a reproduction Princess Mononoke cel. And that didn't have a background. Go through those sold listings though for research. I need to see these movies as the prices are new to me.

5 hours ago, cstojano said:

I don't know who is running that page but here is one comment that stuck out. Like I said, I have no idea on Disney art so cannot judge. Nor do I know anyone's intentions. 

Hopefully someday there'll be a whistleblower to reveal the whole thing. Just look at all the "Eyvind Earle" concept paintings they've sold of the Dragon from Sleeping Beauty. Earle may have done a handful of paintings with the Dragon, not dozens of them. Besides the fact that it doesn't represent his painting style or palettes, if compared to the ones that we know are originals, the scenes are random too. Earle would have had a clear vision for the structure of the story; there is no record of him making lots of different paintings of the same scene with varying color palettes.

With the Disney artwork, I believe I've seen some at Van Eaton Auctions. And I think Profiles in History had some too. Like the Ghibli stuff, I don't know much about older Disney artwork. But those concept paintings seem to be on auction a lot. So either they are priced too high, I can't remember the pricing, or buyers know something isn't right.

3 minutes ago, GeneticNinja said:

With the Disney artwork, I believe I've seen some at Van Eaton Auctions. And I think Profiles in History had some too. Like the Ghibli stuff, I don't know much about older Disney artwork. But those concept paintings seem to be on auction a lot. So either they are priced too high, I can't remember the pricing, or buyers know something isn't right.

These concept art pieces are selling in the teens+, so nothing to sneeze at. 

I'm interested in the Tatsunoko stuff and (sadly singular) Angel's Egg cel. They're high-profile enough to be noteworthy but not high-profile enough to be worth forging. I'd choose Mandarake over Heritage any day for Japanese art, as they can verify pieces earlier in the custody chain. Of course they aren't infallible either.