• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Anime And Things We Threw in Because We Couldn't Find Enough Anime Auction

57 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, tth2 said:

No kidding.  The cel and master key background from "My Neighbor Totoro", featuring nothing but Mei's sandal floating in the water, went for $21,600 w/BP.

The bus stop scene is going to go for a bomb when it comes up today.  

$84k.

So yeah...that all went way higher than I'd thought it would.  Looks like I only missed timing getting interested in these at the right time by 25-30 years. 

Congrats to those who own some nice anime pieces already, condolences to those who don't.  I imagine these results may generate great interest and similar offerings at future HA auctions.  Upside is there are so many great shows and there appears to be a lot out there, as on Mandarake, so I'm hopeful there's cool stuff to be had for reasonable prices if one is patient.

There were still a bunch of items that I was tracking which ended up at reasonable prices. Seems like the big name pieces were going for high prices. The Akira and Ghilbi pieces. Those are going to the people who will most likely use those as investment pieces in the future for a select group of people. Not many will pay over $20,000 for an Akira cel and background. And some were over $50,000.

It's also possible that the pricing is because of the Heritage audience. I saw a Ghost in the Shell background painting on ebay a while back and it didn't reach the price of a cel that Heritage just sold. So one of a kind versus what should be a good number from an animated scene. Of course, you never know what happened to all the cels from that scene. But still. Where there is one there should be others out there.

We'll see what comes out in the future because of this auction. More inventory for animation should be a good thing.

Well the first day had some pretty strong sales...144k for a Frazzetta drawing etc.  Probably of no interest to most of the crowd, but I was pretty surprised to see the Spongebob cel from the pilot episode (where the background is not actually from the pilot) go for 15k.  HA mislabeled something in a previous auction as having been from the pilot but it only went for about 3k as I recall.  I'm not that experienced in buying animation cels but it seems like it's acceptable to slap a couple random pieces together and as long as at least one part of it is from an episode, go ahead and advertise it as from the pilot episode/close enough...

The studio Ghibli stuff all seemed pretty pricey, but didn't seem to end up in the same lofty range that they did in the last event auction.  Again not an expert in this area so not sure I can say it did well or not, but in a relative sense seemed to dip a bit.

image.thumb.png.6a1aed58c5ab6ce0885327132ecfd578.png

I don’t know much about cels either but from the 2 second look I took at some of thr ghibli stuff, I thought the ghibli cels were a little better examples last time. 

That frazetta drawing was bananas.    Unpublished 1991 pencils for 144k?   Just silly IMO. 

On 12/13/2021 at 6:19 AM, Bronty said:

I don’t know much about cels either but from the 2 second look I took at some of thr ghibli stuff, I thought the ghibli cels were a little better examples last time. 

That frazetta drawing was bananas.    Unpublished 1991 pencils for 144k?   Just silly IMO. 

Yeah dont look at the legs on that Vampirella Frazetta piece too long either, weird.

On 12/13/2021 at 9:37 AM, cstojano said:

Yeah dont look at the legs on that Vampirella Frazetta piece too long either, weird.

100%.     top half looks fine, bottom half shows the 1991 date.

On 12/13/2021 at 8:19 AM, Bronty said:

Both Frazettas were available last year for 25-30k each and didn’t sell. I’m wondering if heritage accepting crypto is driving these prices.

On 12/14/2021 at 9:36 AM, Bronty said:

I wouldn't think there's a huge correlation between frazetta fans (older) and crypto investors (younger), but who knows.

It wouldn't take a huge pool of that crossover cohort to create a big number in the auction-sphere.  David

davolaptop.jpg

Edited by aokartman
sp., vocab.

On 12/14/2021 at 10:47 AM, aokartman said:

It wouldn't take a huge pool of that crossover cohort to create a big number in the auction-sphere.  David

Agreed.   But there’s also many other possible explanations, including being dropped as a baby.