• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STOLEN COMICS and they tried again.
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Hi, Tuesday/Wednesday night/morning 
Someonr broke into my friends house  in San Francisco and stole 9 or 10 short boxes of comics. It sucked the chat boards were down for a couple of days.

Here's a breakdown of the stolen books to the best of knowledge at this time most identifiable.

Three short boxes full of 
Dell, Harvey, Gold Key and Charlton
comics all double mylared at the time of theft. One of the boxes was full of Dell Westerns.
5 boxes of misc runs of early to late Bronze Age Marvels all main titles in mid to higher grades with one of the boxes filled with mostly king size and giant size books. Quite a few books still in old sticky mylites. A couple of boxes in new bags with self sealed tops strips not sealed. 
One half of one box with early bronze Thors in mylars with top tabs sliced off. 
One box mostly filled with high grade Marvel 40 cent price range Mark Jeweler insert copies.
Two boxes filled with misc oddball golden age, stack of lower grade Uncle Scrooge comics, foreign copies of the Phantom, higher grade Adventure Comics numbers 360- plus numbers range, Flash, Actions, Forever people and New Gods and mix of coverless golden age and silver age.
Early sixties fanzines and magazines etc etc etc🤔😡🔨
Thanks.

UPDATE!

My friend texted me that the thief or thieves attempted to come back for more. 

While watching television Friday night he heard some creaking on the stairs outside his kitchen patio and when getting up to check he yelled out person ran down steps and fumbled with door leading outside and ran away. It seems they slim jimmed through the security gate downstairs somehow not leaving tell tale signs of how they broke in first time and his thinking they broke in through the garage door of which he totally secured with clamps and disabled. When SF police did a more comprehensive search this time they showed him what had happened. He's now noticed some items other than comic books missing. A few vintage Transformers and such unaccounted for. He recently had been working a graveyard shift and not returning home until 6 am. Thoughts now is that it is someone in neighborhood watching his movements and took advantage of no presence at house. 😡 Frightening being targeted and not knowing who is possibly monitoring ones movements. 

19 minutes ago, Cobbledclam said:

Hi, Tuesday/Wednesday night/morning 
Someonr broke into my friends house  in San Francisco and stole 9 or 10 short boxes of comics. It sucked the chat boards were down for a couple of days.

Here's a breakdown of the stolen books to the best of knowledge at this time most identifiable.

Three short boxes full of 
Dell, Harvey, Gold Key and Charlton
comics all double mylared at the time of theft. One of the boxes was full of Dell Westerns.
5 boxes of misc runs of early to late Bronze Age Marvels all main titles in mid to higher grades with one of the boxes filled with mostly king size and giant size books. Quite a few books still in old sticky mylites. A couple of boxes in new bags with self sealed tops strips not sealed. 
One half of one box with early bronze Thors in mylars with top tabs sliced off. 
One box mostly filled with high grade Marvel 40 cent price range Mark Jeweler insert copies.
Two boxes filled with misc oddball golden age, stack of lower grade Uncle Scrooge comics, foreign copies of the Phantom, higher grade Adventure Comics numbers 360- plus numbers range, Flash, Actions, Forever people and New Gods and mix of coverless golden age and silver age.
Early sixties fanzines and magazines etc etc etc🤔😡🔨
Thanks.

UPDATE!

My friend texted me that the thief or thieves attempted to come back for more. 

While watching television Friday night he heard some creaking on the stairs outside his kitchen patio and when getting up to check he yelled out person ran down steps and fumbled with door leading outside and ran away. It seems they slim jimmed through the security gate downstairs somehow not leaving tell tale signs of how they broke in first time and his thinking they broke in through the garage door of which he totally secured with clamps and disabled. When SF police did a more comprehensive search this time they showed him what had happened. He's now noticed some items other than comic books missing. A few vintage Transformers and such unaccounted for. He recently had been working a graveyard shift and not returning home until 6 am. Thoughts now is that it is someone in neighborhood watching his movements and took advantage of no presence at house. 😡 Frightening being targeted and not knowing who is possibly monitoring ones movements. 

People are brazen now. I have decided to buy a .38 Special for home security. 1st time in my life. I'm not going to be taken captive in my own house and have my life, my wife's and dogs life put at risk. Until some of these criminal politicians are prosecuted and found guilty, things will just get worse. We all need leadership and we need to see corrupt leaders put away and not just censured or excused from their jobs. It's become monkey-see-monkey-do.

1 hour ago, Randall Ries said:

People are brazen now. I have decided to buy a .38 Special for home security. 1st time in my life. I'm not going to be taken captive in my own house and have my life, my wife's and dogs life put at risk. Until some of these criminal politicians are prosecuted and found guilty, things will just get worse. We all need leadership and we need to see corrupt leaders put away and not just censured or excused from their jobs. It's become monkey-see-monkey-do.

It's just a shame. Yep even if caught they would just be back on street the next day. Unless you give the scum the chance to hurt someone in their attempt to rob you, and even then it's the  defense they were on drugs and not responsible for their actions. They are the victims and why do you have something and they don't? I'm not for killing people but I do believe in blowing someone's kneecap or hand off if they break into your home and are threatening your home space by breaking in and pose a threat to ones personal property and physical well being. 

I'd like to say being "soft on crime" is a new thing.  I agree it's reached epic proportions when some are calling for the complete elimination of law enforcement and of incarceration which is just so obviously a "fail" it's hard to imagine anyone advocating it.  They just solved a decades-old cold case murder up the road here using DNA, and since that murder, the guy's been arrested on rape, kidnapping, DUI, etc, etc, etc, but he's been running around free.  

I hope they catch whomever stole these comics - I'd support a tar and feathering episode to follow.

I am very sorry to hear that.  This is part of the reason why I am truly perplexed and dumbfounded when certain collectors show off online their prized goodies, which are often posted on their lighted shelves with their big statues too boot.  I remind my friends over and over that you would never go on FB or IG and show off a stack of hundreds, your wife's engagement ring or your bank account ledgers to the public but for some almost child-like reasons we need to brag about our X-MEN 1, ASM300 or some 9.8 Bronze-Age keys to the world - and often the guys who do that have addresses you can track and find. My point being assuming your friend didn't show-off some of his collection - individuals (other than dealers) need to take a big mindful step back and consider what they show online and if there is a chance albeit small that thieves :ph34r: are watching and waiting for a gloater and bragger :insane: just like you, who doesn't realize he put a bullseye target on his home and family.  Food-4-Thought for the comic collecting community.  My 2 cents :preach:

30 minutes ago, Cobbledclam said:

It's just a shame. Yep even if caught they would just be back on street the next day. Unless you give the scum the chance to hurt someone in their attempt to rob you, and even then it's the  defense they were on drugs and not responsible for their actions. They are the victims and why do you have something and they don't? I'm not for killing people but I do believe in blowing someone's kneecap or hand off if they break into your home and are threatening your home space by breaking in and pose a threat to ones personal property and physical well being. 

It IS a shame. There is an issue with the kneecap or shoulder idea: They will sue and they will win. A few years ago, some POC was breaking into a house via the skylight. He fell through it and landed on the kitchen table, injuring his back. As you say, he was released rather soon after his brief hospital stay. He sued the woman who owned the townhouse for bodily harm and he won the case.

SO. If I had the opportunity, if someone comes through my door unexpectedly and the planets are aligned correctly? They will not have to worry about beginning a lawsuit. Make sure they are all the way in your house before doing it. Or as my parole officer friend told me years ago: "Make sure they fall INSIDE your house. Don't shoot in the back. And try to just fire once. Don't unload a clip into them."

It's no longer funny. People are out of their skulls now. I'm too old and filled with arthritis for hand-to-hand stuff and what could I reasonably do against 2 or 3 determined young men with likely weapons anyway?

34 minutes ago, MattTheDuck said:

I'd like to say being "soft on crime" is a new thing.  I agree it's reached epic proportions when some are calling for the complete elimination of law enforcement and of incarceration which is just so obviously a "fail" it's hard to imagine anyone advocating it.  They just solved a decades-old cold case murder up the road here using DNA, and since that murder, the guy's been arrested on rape, kidnapping, DUI, etc, etc, etc, but he's been running around free.  

I hope they catch whomever stole these comics - I'd support a tar and feathering episode to follow.

Same. Hide behind drug addiction. Hide behind mental illness. Go to rehab that doesn't work. Court ordered rehab doesn't WORK. Court ordered counseling doesn't WORK. The person in question has to want to CHANGE. The desire to avoid jail isn't a motivation to get straight.

I don't know what pack of psychopaths feel that capital punishment doesn't work, but I imagine a few televised hangings immediately following a guilty verdict might change some minds. Maybe not at first. But at some point, people might conclude "Say. They are serious about this."

So, that scumbag finally got caught doing something prison worthy? How many lives did he ruin between then and now? I wouldn't make a good cop. A lot of these dirtbags would be shot trying to "escape custody." Come ON. We can do better than what we are. Victims shouldn't have to be victimized for the ret of their lives.

43 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

I am very sorry to hear that.  This is part of the reason why I am truly perplexed and dumbfounded when certain collectors show off online their prized goodies, which are often posted on their lighted shelves with their big statues too boot.  I remind my friends over and over that you would never go on FB or IG and show off a stack of hundreds, your wife's engagement ring or your bank account ledgers to the public but for some almost child-like reasons we need to brag about our X-MEN 1, ASM300 or some 9.8 Bronze-Age keys to the world - and often the guys who do that have addresses you can track and find. My point being assuming your friend didn't show-off some of his collection - individuals (other than dealers) need to take a big mindful step back and consider what they show online and if there is a chance albeit small that thieves :ph34r: are watching and waiting for a gloater and bragger :insane: just like you, who doesn't realize he put a bullseye target on his home and family.  Food-4-Thought for the comic collecting community.  My 2 cents :preach:

The tug-of-war between security and freedom is on-going.  I'm not too interested in living in a world where people are so afraid of theft they can't live their lives in a normal way.  Also not interested in a "blame the victim" approach.

5 minutes ago, MattTheDuck said:

The tug-of-war between security and freedom is on-going.  I'm not too interested in living in a world where people are so afraid of theft they can't live their lives in a normal way.  Also not interested in a "blame the victim" approach.

There is zero blaming the victim here.  I am sharing with our close knit comic community my thoughts on a related subject.  Life is obviously full of decisions wherein we sacrifice some freedom for security (like wearing a seatbelt), which are broader terms for what I am focusing on which is vigilance and mindfulness.  How one chooses to freely live in their world is their choice just like it was my personal choice to reply as I just did. :preach:

It's a amateur job. If your friend notified all the local shops and if he knows the owners and or they are honest the thieves could be caught. I would bet they will try to sell the books fast if they haven't already in the same box and bags they are in. Most likely a friend of a friend or family member or neighbor. Or like someone said seen books online being shown off. People like to know what you have and were to find it before breaking in. 

3 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

It IS a shame. There is an issue with the kneecap or shoulder idea: They will sue and they will win. A few years ago, some POC was breaking into a house via the skylight. He fell through it and landed on the kitchen table, injuring his back. As you say, he was released rather soon after his brief hospital stay. He sued the woman who owned the townhouse for bodily harm and he won the case.

SO. If I had the opportunity, if someone comes through my door unexpectedly and the planets are aligned correctly? They will not have to worry about beginning a lawsuit. Make sure they are all the way in your house before doing it. Or as my parole officer friend told me years ago: "Make sure they fall INSIDE your house. Don't shoot in the back. And try to just fire once. Don't unload a clip into them."

It's no longer funny. People are out of their skulls now. I'm too old and filled with arthritis for hand-to-hand stuff and what could I reasonably do against 2 or 3 determined young men with likely weapons anyway?

All of this and more. Don't shoot'em in the back. Don't shoot'em in the head. Don't shoot'em when they're on the ground. And sure as he11 don't shoot'em a dozen times after they've fallen. In the torso until they stop standing and advancing. And remember these words, "I was in fear for my life!". 

And if you do shoot anyone, especially depending on the state you live, expect the next several years of your life, and most or all of your life savings, tied up in lawsuits and civil trials. If the thief dies, the family can and probably will still sue you for civil damages. 

Hope they catch the thieves and can recover the stolen property. 

Edited by jcjames

3 hours ago, jcjames said:

All of this and more. Don't shoot'em in the back. Don't shoot'em in the head. Don't shoot'em when they're on the ground. And sure as he11 don't shoot'em a dozen times after they've fallen. In the torso until they stop standing and advancing. And remember these words, "I was in fear for my life!". 

And if you do shoot anyone, especially depending on the state you live, expect the next several years of your life, and most or all of your life savings, tied up in lawsuits and civil trials. If the thief dies, the family can and probably will still sue you for civil damages. 

Hope they catch the thieves and can recover the stolen property. 

Florida-  Stand Your Ground Law.  It works. 

Edited by Mercury Man

14 hours ago, Roger66 said:

There is zero blaming the victim here.  I am sharing with our close knit comic community my thoughts on a related subject.  Life is obviously full of decisions wherein we sacrifice some freedom for security (like wearing a seatbelt), which are broader terms for what I am focusing on which is vigilance and mindfulness.  How one chooses to freely live in their world is their choice just like it was my personal choice to reply as I just did. :preach:

Totally agree.

The only one being blamed is the criminal. And this situation really sucks for the OP. 

It should serve as a reminder to take precautions in life because there are people with bad intentions out there.  If you are posting valuable things on FB and IG, then posting pictures of yourself on vacation, you are giving people with bad intentions alot of information. 

Now, I'm not saying or implying that's what happened here. I'm just saying @Roger66 is giving good advice and it isn't victim shaming at all. 

I personally have never posted anything on any of those types of sights. I've never, no matter with how much pleading from friends and family signed up for Facebook. I have only recently signed up to get on Instagram and even then only to look at the phenomena of the virtual con sales of some of my friends on there.

I've been asked to participate but no thank you. It's not my thing, but if it works for someone else great.

Did my friend whose house was robbed post stuff on those sights?

Yes he did and trust me I've told for years not to share too much on those sights, ESPECIALLY for vanities sake. My thoughts are it was someone or friends of someone in the neighborhood who noticed a change in his work schedule and somehow through the neighborhood grapevine knew what he's talked to certain neighbors about and what to look for. What they probably didn't realize on the other attempt was that he immediately changed back to other schedule after the first(?) theft and was going to be home  Concerning my OP, it was an attempt to alert the comic book community what occurred and it sucked that the chat boards were down in the first couple of days the theft occurred. Stores and dealers northern, southern and central CA and other parts of country notified and such asap. Also a much more vigorous security system with many lights, bells and whistles is in the works. 

Anyone who wants to comment beyond that concerning judge, jury, prosecution and sentencing of the perpetrators feel free. Also concerning my statement to only maim the criminal it's so I can watch them suffer a bit while I lecture them on why they are writhing in agony.

Not the most Buddhist or christain thing of me but.... And please feel free to comment on anything one wants and go tit for tat concerning the state of affairs our lawmakers and heads of state and such but remember to keep a lookout if something comes up. 🙈🔨

18 hours ago, jcjames said:

depending on the state you live, expect the next several years of your life, and most or all of your life savings, tied up in lawsuits and civil trials. If the thief dies, the family can and probably will still sue you for civil damages.

That's right. Or some sibling or parent wanting revenge for shooting their kin.

"Oh, mah boy wouldn'a NEVER done nothin' like breakin' into someones house. He wassa GOOD boy."

I think 1st order of business would be closing bank accounts. Nope. Your "boy" came into my house by force and would have killed me. He wasn't allowed to take my life and YOU aren't gonna either.

On 6/12/2021 at 1:35 PM, Randall Ries said:

Did this actually happen?  I feel like I've heard this story for decades, and a little digging seems to turn up a case of some teens stealing skylights from a school, suing, and losing.