• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All Story Tarzan first appearance
2 2

64 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I'm new to Pulps, other than the basics. If it's on Heritage I can at least have a look at the scans. John certainly had some primo copies. I've become spoiled by the CGC Census where I can just type something in an get a very educated guess in the regard of scarcity of a comic book. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Just pretend it's pre-internet and our views on comic scarcity are based solely on Overstreet, Gerber, cons and dealer listings.

7 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

There are supposed to be around 20-25 copies. Over half the copies have some restoration/conservation. This is 1912 after all and in my opinion de-acidification should not be considered a downgrade but rather a duty.

The McLaughlin copy and one other copy that I have heard is in similar shape are the best unrestored copies that I am aware of. My copy is the best presenting restored copy I am aware of with pieces added, de-acidification and color touch. 

thanx!  Ive been on the boards long enough to know that someone would have the answers. I agree about de acidification for old paper... of course the hobby would have to agree to a cut off there we are truly saving copies, and not just enhancing them. Then again, we all collected under the basic shared assumption that the best surviving grades copies were the most valuable, that as each succumbed, to fire, environment, poor storage etc, that these copies were sacrificed as  some sort of collecting Darwinism at play.  So as we've seen with pressing, do we want to encourage another wave of artificial enhancing.  (while obviously, theres a big difference between improving a grade and preserving a book...)

19 hours ago, Aman619 said:

thanx!  Ive been on the boards long enough to know that someone would have the answers. I agree about de acidification for old paper... of course the hobby would have to agree to a cut off there we are truly saving copies, and not just enhancing them. Then again, we all collected under the basic shared assumption that the best surviving grades copies were the most valuable, that as each succumbed, to fire, environment, poor storage etc, that these copies were sacrificed as  some sort of collecting Darwinism at play.  So as we've seen with pressing, do we want to encourage another wave of artificial enhancing.  (while obviously, theres a big difference between improving a grade and preserving a book...)

Does de-acidfication actually enhance the appearance of a book or just remove agents causing paper to deteriorate?

As far as I know it doesn’t enhance appearance.  But two aspects to consider.  If the book is soaked in order to deacidivize it, it will be pressed afterwards.  Possibly taken apart too, page by page.  And further, my analogy was not to be taken literally.  More in the vein that in 30-50 years, the treated books will be going strong while untreated books wither, (Darwin again) depending on the care of storage.  Personally when protected I think newsprint will last a long long time perfectly well on its own.

this was the point of my linking it to pressing, in that it opens up the similarity of manipulation aiding some books over others, “similar” to what pressing does.  Pressing enhances values by grade improvement.  Treating books leads to a “similar” increase in value:  over time a treated book will remain in viable condition to HAVE a value, while others copies disintegrate slowly to zero value. 

28 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I question the need for deacidifcation.  I've seen newspapers from the 1860s that were still in good shape, because they'd been kept in a cool, dark environment for all that time.   

At what point did the method of making paper change so that the acid became a problem?  I know at some point people figured out how to make cheaper paper, introducing the acid issue, I think around 1900?  But only very generally around then, it could be a few decades either way.

On 7/25/2021 at 12:50 AM, Aman619 said:

I recall that paper was made from cotton fibers for a long time then switched to wood pulp.  The wood pulp introduced the acidity issue, or exacerbated it.  But don’t quote me.  Try Google…

I trust YOUR answer more than Google. GOD BLESS...

... for what it's worth, this item is one of only a few of the "MEGA KEYS" that I would actually think about keeping .... most of the others ? Ca-Ching !

Edited by jimjum12

On 6/29/2021 at 7:57 AM, jimjum12 said:

I'm new to Pulps, other than the basics. If it's on Heritage I can at least have a look at the scans. John certainly had some primo copies. I've become spoiled by the CGC Census where I can just type something in an get a very educated guess in the regard of scarcity of a comic book. GOD BLESS....

If you don't already have a copy, I'd recommend the Bookery guide.  It lists scarcity of most pulps and seems pretty accurate. 

*edit* 

Just realized this post was from a year ago lol.  Saw it at the bottom of the first page without realizing this topic is now a 2 pager.

Edited by waaaghboss

On 4/7/2022 at 8:45 PM, waaaghboss said:

If you don't already have a copy, I'd recommend the Bookery guide.  It lists scarcity of most pulps and seems pretty accurate. 

*edit* 

Just realized this post was from a year ago lol.  Saw it at the bottom of the first page without realizing this topic is now a 2 pager.

It's relevant though... a healthy price for a rag of a copy, albeit decent front cover image, of a very rare 1st ed pulp, like has been said, of a character that has relatively very little love in comics.

Maybe New Jack pulp buyers are aware and willing to follow the existing pulp heirarchy rather than tack to pure comics value philosophy (shrug)

I get the scarcity of this book, given it's age. The hammer price on the rag was kind of expected, but I feel, way too high. The way I look at it, Tarzan is a great character, so is Zorro and Buck Rogers for that matter. 

All that being said, I feel Weird Tales December of 32 is the best book of all the major first appearances in pulps. Extremely high grade copies can be had for less than the rag All Story, and it's just a vastly superior character, even from a broad collectability standpoint. 

This, of course, is just my opinion.

Pulps seem to be on the verge of a huge resurgence in collecting and interest after decades of being on the periphery (please don't hate me for saying that but that's always been my experience).  As such, the new highly motivated collectors/speculators trying to buy before the surge are sorting out what are the top tier books for value, given content and scarcity.  

It seems that many have identified (for better or worse) that All Story October 1912 is the Action 1 of pulps.  As such, people are trying to nail down copies as fast as possible, hence the big showing for the low grade copy.  And, it's not like it's a common book.  2c

Edited by Randall Dowling
October

On 4/10/2022 at 8:14 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Pulps seem to be on the verge of a huge resurgence in collecting and interest after decades of being on the periphery (please don't hate me for saying that but that's always been my experience).  As such, the new highly motivated collectors/speculators trying to buy before the surge are sorting out what are the top tier books for value, given content and scarcity.  

It seems that many have identified (for better or worse) that All Story July 1912 is the Action 1 of pulps.  As such, people are trying to nail down copies as fast as possible, hence the big showing for the low grade copy.  And, it's not like it's a common book.  2c

Totally agree with your post. I feel, possibly, that considering the All Story the Action 1 of pulps may be a touch misguided, though. I agree, that this logic will probably stick. I would just contend, that in the long run, 5 VF or better copies of Conan, might be better than 1 rag copy of Tarzan. Time will tell...