• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 3
2 2

7 posts in this topic

So, this book was be graded a 0.5 Purple. Purple because someone took a black and green  magic marker to parts of the cover and 0.5 because it has an advertising page missing (does not affect story). Personally, I don't understand the 0.5 for incompletes. I bought this slabbed in a purple 0.5 slab but I took it out ..the book is pretty solid and holds well with the pages turning. But I would like to know what people think for a grade.  Tape on the back, the black marker along the top. You can tell it's been pressed. Not sure how ti would be graded now, the slab and grade was ahwile ago

IMG-9057.jpg

IMG-9058.jpg

IMG-9059.jpg

IMG-9060.jpg

IMG-9061.jpg

IMG-9062.jpg

IMG-9064.jpg

IMG-9065.jpg

IMG-9066.jpg

IMG-9067.jpg

IMG-7103.jpg

Edited by Ed Hanes

First of all, for the right price, I would proudly have this copy in my collection. What's that repeated so often? Buy the book, not the grade. 1st Doc Ock, man!

0.5 for missing pages and other "poor" defects is a bummer, but the grading scale, in my opinion, is a lot about desirability. And any book is compared to all possible conditions of grade. A book missing components is on the wrong end of that desirability scale.

Also, it's just the way it is.

I don't think CGC has a Qualified-Restored label. So, 0.5 is what it is.

Were we to enjoy collecting comicbooks in a world where missing coupons or pages that didn't affect the story didn't affect the grade, I would grade this 1.5/2.0. It's VG in a lot of ways except for the "restoration." I can see what the marker-owner was attempting, but what was done to the cover almost amounts to defacing. And  that "flaw" itself could land it in the 0.5 range.

IMO

Thanks very much for sharing! Great example to learn by and hear other's opinions.

16 minutes ago, grendelbo said:

First of all, for the right price, I would proudly have this copy in my collection. What's that repeated so often? Buy the book, not the grade. 1st Doc Ock, man!

0.5 for missing pages and other "poor" defects is a bummer, but the grading scale, in my opinion, is a lot about desirability. And any book is compared to all possible conditions of grade. A book missing components is on the wrong end of that desirability scale.

Also, it's just the way it is.

I don't think CGC has a Qualified-Restored label. So, 0.5 is what it is.

Were we to enjoy collecting comicbooks in a world where missing coupons or pages that didn't affect the story didn't affect the grade, I would grade this 1.5/2.0. It's VG in a lot of ways except for the "restoration." I can see what the marker-owner was attempting, but what was done to the cover almost amounts to defacing. And  that "flaw" itself could land it in the 0.5 range.

IMO

Thanks very much for sharing! Great example to learn by and hear other's opinions.

I bought this at auction for 495 in may 2020..thinking I would probably not get the chance to buy a ASM 3 any other time..and then the insane buying happened. I feel very fortunate to have it in my collection.

Edited by Ed Hanes

18 minutes ago, Ed Hanes said:

I bought this at auction for 495 in may 2020..thinking I would probably not get the chance to buy a ASM 3 any other time..and then the insane buying happened. I feel very fortunate to have it in my collection.

My keys run the range of grades and fortunate finds/buys are the hallmark of so much of my collection. I made many jumps to get an issue I may never find or afford again. The coolest aspect in collecting (outside of story and art) may be just owning and enjoying that special issue. "Wow, I actually have...!" Grade concerns are sometimes secondary.

Recently I posted a Spirit Section June 2, 1940. Board members said 0.5 which aligned with my assessment. I never cared about the grade for that book, in buying or posting here. I actually own a pretty rare 1st Spirit by Eisner.

ASM3 is a really great book to own and I believe you got a fair deal especially in the current market.