• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nexus: the most under-appreciated book of the Copper age

13 posts in this topic

Great, great series.  Some real sci-fi under that super-hero sheen.  It's been an interesting evolution of the Baron/Rude partnership over the last few years. They're not seeing eye-to-eye on storylines so rather than not work together and not put out product, they're sort of co-habitating in the Nexus universe and doing their own things, but in a similar fashion.  Baron put out a great Nexus novel last year and Rude took the same plot and did a series of newspaper strips that just got collected.  It's fascinating to see how much they diverged from each other in terms of story and structure.  It's a bit of a sadness though because the sum is so much better than the parts.  The Dude's still very much got it art-wise, but I think I can objectively say his words don't compare to Baron's scripts.  I admire the mutual pragmatism in doing this, however.  It's usually a Beatles kind of thing where the band breaks up and everybody loses, so this arrangement beats the alternative I suppose. I'd agree that issues 1-50 were the strongest, although the series of series at Dark Horse is fairly strong.  For the art connoisseurs, I strongly recommend The Nexus Chronicles.  Really nice, big Artist Edition kind of book and you can get a sketch by the Dude for an extra 50 bucks!

Nexus is terrific, and there's a whole lot of underrated Copper series, especially where indies are concerned.

Some of my other favorites are Rick Veitch's "The One" and "King Hell Heroica" (Bratpack, Maximortal, etc.), Mills & O'Neill's "Marshal Law", McCloud's "Zot", Truman's 'Scout", Boswell's "Reid Fleming", Burden's "Flaming Carrot", Boyer's "Masked Man:, and Wagner's "Grendel" and "Mage".

45 minutes ago, jdandns said:

Nexus is terrific, and there's a whole lot of underrated Copper series, especially where indies are concerned.

Some of my other favorites are Rick Veitch's "The One" and "King Hell Heroica" (Bratpack, Maximortal, etc.), Mills & O'Neill's "Marshal Law", McCloud's "Zot", Truman's 'Scout", Boswell's "Reid Fleming", Burden's "Flaming Carrot", Boyer's "Masked Man:, and Wagner's "Grendel" and "Mage".

You hit some great ones.

Grendel and Mage were awesome. I liked Wagner's art on Mage - the Pander Bros. was a little tough to visually digest sometimes.

McCloud's stuff was always really good.

I loved Truman's Scout! Crazy-cool storytelling.

Reid Fleming was hilarious. I'd add Evan Dorkin's Milk and Cheese as well.

And Marshal Law was so disturbing. Kevin ONeill's artwork was insanely good.

American Flagg! by Chaykin may be more Bronze Age - but it was really good too.

14 minutes ago, Toz said:

About time Mr.Hellpop got his own thread.There is some really awesome stuff out there besides Marvel & DC that gets overlooked.

I would like to see Nexus & Badger go back to the Bowl Shaped World.

As long as it includes Honest Crocus, a licensed dealer in arms!

19 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Was a good read, but I preferred Grell's Sable at the time, and I may be cheating a bit, but I thought Claremont/Bolton Black Dragon series was also superior to Nexus, both in art and storytelling.

I loved Sable at the time, but it's a bit apples to oranges. 

At one point one of the networks wanted Nexus as a Saturday morning cartoon. I'd love to have seen how they worked around his being a serial murderer.

I loved the original run of the series but when I re-read them in the DH Archives they didn't thrill me as much as I remembered.