• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are some SA books that you want, but will probably never get?
3 3

60 posts in this topic

AF15 and ASM 1.

Pretty much reached the end of my path when I broke down around April and bought my first ever FF1 (in 2.0, from Kobra's thread in GA/SA/BA) to complete that run (only through Byrne, though). Probably will find a JIM 83 at some point to complete my run (already got a GRR in very nice shape which has been adequate) - though still need #92 also.

Resorted to restored for my TOS 39 (no run of IM, just a dozen key TOS books), and for some reason the TTA 27 (filled binder holes, that kind of thing, but looks ok), just worked out that way, but could see replacing with an unrestored TTA 27 some day, it's not that unattainable.

But don't ever see the spideys happening, small chance of the ASM1 I guess, but would prefer handful of golden age (Startling 49 anybody?) to what a nice low grade AF15 would cost me.

Edited by grebal
"end of my path" only on Silver Age road, barely began my walk down the GA path

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

That one feels rather out of place with the rest of the list (even in that high grade) as it's more within reach of the rest and not silver age.

Yes, I now realize that I should not have listed Thor #337 in the SA forum. Now that I am a few short months from Medicare, I will just chalk it up to having a senior moment. lol

3 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

Yes, I now realize that I should not have listed Thor #337 in the SA forum. Now that I am a few short months from Medicare, I will just chalk it up to having a senior moment. lol

It’s a great book.  Just go for 9.6 instead.    Or even 9.4

The white cover should hide most of the tiny spine tics that knock those uber high grade books down anyway 

8 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

hey good news, with medicare, you'll be able to save some money for that thor 337 9.8. honestly, if it's a book you want, I'd get it now before it becomes more unobtainable. i'm not exactly swimming in money, far from it, but if it's a book I wanted I would go for it. But personally, I just got my own copy sent to cgc for the Simonon SS event and it came back 9.6 so i'm ok with that.

Oh and another one I fogot to write: Flash 110 9.2 (or higher)

Edited by William-James88

1 hour ago, grebal said:

But don't ever see the spideys happening, small chance of the ASM1 I guess, but would prefer handful of golden age (Startling 49 anybody?) to what a nice low grade AF15 would cost me.

Oh me too, would love an All American Comics 61 for what a nice low grade AF15 would cost me.

Edited by William-James88

TOS 39.  For more than a decade, if I decided I wanted to go for a big key, I will usually have to sacrifice at least one big book that I already have in order to obtain what I’m seeking.  Plus some cash.  But I really don’t know what I would want to part with right now to get one.  Might be the one that doesn’t happen for me. 

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Honestly all I've been doing is selling books recently

Same here!

It's pretty much all you can do with the prices being so insanely high! 

Every once in a blue moon I buy something, otherwise it's been Sell,Sell ,Sell!

On 6/16/2021 at 8:52 PM, Math Teacher said:

Here's what comes to my mind:

Adventure Comics #247
Detective Comics #225 <-- SA?
Our Army at War #83
Showcase #4, #8, #13, and #14
Tales to Astonish #13

I have since acquired SC #4 and #13. If I could have my pick, it would probably be Adventure #247, with Showcase #8 as a close runner-up.

I'm fortunate to have most of the big books in one form or another. A few low grade, a restored FF1 and TOS39, a trimmed Hulk 1, and  my AF15 is missing a back cover. 

The biggest hole in my collection is FF5. I'll probably never own it. 

I was very hopeful to upgrade my AF15 this year,  but if 2.0s are crossing the $30k threshold,  I'm probably out there as well. 

I would love to slowly upgrade all of my books to blue label, mid grades. Something I've been working on for many many years. But that's become a very expensive endeavor in its own right. 

Other books like ASM50 and Xmen 4 are probably off my list as well. I would love to own them and while they aren't "too expensive", it's hard for me to reconcile spending 4 figures on low grade copies when you could find midgrades for under $1k just months ago. 

But, I'll never rule anything out. Just when your ready to give up,  opportunities do present themselves.