• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad Idea
4 4

349 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

If you are dead set on in person purchasing or after the illustrious buttons/sticker, I agree it is problematic.  I am in the same boat, being in a pretty large market and there is no shops within 2-3hrs of me and I would not take time off to go be in person for any of the releases.

With that there are plenty of shops that have the books available online, each of the Bad Idea offerings I wanted I was able to order over the interwebs.  Eniac #1 was the only one that was hard to get, and if I had missed that one in the 1st printing I likely would have not continued with the rest of the series.

Agreed. And there are a few shops that will hold the books and ship when you request them to ship, so you're not paying for shipping on each individual book. 

51 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Agreed. And there are a few shops that will hold the books and ship when you request them to ship, so you're not paying for shipping on each individual book. 

That is what I did for most of mine.  Ordered from Third Eye out of Maryland, highly recommend them.

5 hours ago, Crops068 said:

If you are dead set on in person purchasing or after the illustrious buttons/sticker, I agree it is problematic.  I am in the same boat, being in a pretty large market and there is no shops within 2-3hrs of me and I would not take time off to go be in person for any of the releases.

With that there are plenty of shops that have the books available online, each of the Bad Idea offerings I wanted I was able to order over the interwebs.  Eniac #1 was the only one that was hard to get, and if I had missed that one in the 1st printing I likely would have not continued with the rest of the series.

Well my issue is don't make this seem like this is some Indy company that is struggling. They have a lot of financing behind them and they decided to go this route instead. Its an hysterical elitist view of how to sell comics.  

Id be worried if I invested in these books. Of course those that did wont admit that.

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Well my issue is don't make this seem like this is some Indy company that is struggling. They have a lot of financing behind them and they decided to go this route instead. Its an hysterical elitist view of how to sell comics.  

Id be worried if I invested in these books. Of course those that did wont admit that.

What are you considering "a lot"? I don't have any inside info, but I'm assuming that when Dinesh got ousted from Valiant, that entailed some buyout, and whatever that was is the primary source of funding for the Bad Idea launch. I know people involved with Bad Idea have ties to a production company, but I believe that's a completely separate entity.

On 6/21/2021 at 11:23 PM, Lobo1969 said:

You better send them a stern letter of protest. They may actually be able to quantify what 'eleventy-seven' variant covers would actually look like in a future release.

I could see it being a B story in one of their comics, "Eleventy-Seven Covers and Mayhem!"

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Oh it is a terrible way to sell comics.  It doesn't make the comics themselves terrible though.  :)

21 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
23 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

What are you considering "a lot"? I don't have any inside info, but I'm assuming that when Dinesh got ousted from Valiant, that entailed some buyout, and whatever that was is the primary source of funding for the Bad Idea launch. I know people involved with Bad Idea have ties to a production company, but I believe that's a completely separate entity.

I call it a lot when I compare it smaller indy companies that struggle to produce material. This company isn't struggling apparently and can afford to rename themselves. 

Most other companies if they tried this would crush them. As an investment I would run from this fast. 

I guess some have a higher risk ratio then I do as investments. 

Edited by fastballspecial

19 hours ago, Crops068 said:
22 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Oh it is a terrible way to sell comics.  It doesn't make the comics themselves terrible though.  :)

Yes I agree with that point. All buy a trade sometime down the road on the secondary market if I can find it, 
but I am not going to support this type of elitist marketing with my money. 

9 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Yes I agree with that point. All buy a trade sometime down the road on the secondary market if I can find it, 
but I am not going to support this type of elitist marketing with my money. 

How is their marketing worse than the variant cover/exclusives marketing?

On 6/24/2021 at 1:26 AM, Lobo1969 said:

The short version? The company is not "closing", but more of a rebranding. The clues are are already presented in this thread...

Why should I need to search out 'clues' on such a simple thing as 'is a company I may enjoy closing down as they stated they were.' That statement affects my finances (even if just in a minor way) inconveniencing me and just plain annoying me. You just don't do that to customers on such a basic part of your business. How many people will take it as fact, like any sane person would, or get frustrated, and go 'screw it, I'm out'? I want a comics company, not a drama production. 

It's also not like Indy companies. They mostly aren't chosen to be stocked by the retailer, and would be elated to hear retailers and customers are demanding their books. This is the other way around. Retailers are approaching Bad Idea for their books, and signing on to their rules just to touch their books, a very different situation. 

Bad Idea's new name? My super secret inside source tells me it's FDQ Comics. 

50 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Why should I need to search out 'clues' on such a simple thing as 'is a company I may enjoy closing down as they stated they were.' That statement affects my finances (even if just in a minor way) inconveniencing me and just plain annoying me. You just don't do that to customers on such a basic part of your business. How many people will take it as fact, like any sane person would, or get frustrated, and go 'screw it, I'm out'? I want a comics company, not a drama production. 

It's also not like Indy companies. They mostly aren't chosen to be stocked by the retailer, and would be elated to hear retailers and customers are demanding their books. This is the other way around. Retailers are approaching Bad Idea for their books, and signing on to their rules just to touch their books, a very different situation. 

This is the point I was trying to make. Excellent point.

1 hour ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

What in the ..... does FDQ stand for?  Frankenstein Drag Queens?  Fashion Doll Quarterly?  Certainly not Fair Distributed Queue...... lol

13 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

They will do trades eventually everyone does.

Of course they will, them saying they don’t do trades is just another form of their FOMO marketing scheme taken to the extreme. Just like the ending of the company. Got to say it is effective on a lot of people…