• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad Idea
4 4

349 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2022 at 7:12 AM, Crops068 said:

I just got it yesterday.  It was in this very nondescript envelope.

image.png.1d7a8987c39c50a485744a70d145e8e6.png

Well that is just !  Email them fools.

I had no idea! Looks like junk mail so imagine how many of those get tossed out...🤣

On 2/23/2022 at 8:38 AM, Crops068 said:

that was some quick turn around! 

I will be sure to pour one out for that 9.4....:cry:

Side note - I did not get an extra special prize with my Final Five sticker.

No description available.

That is hilarious!!! Clearly these guys are edgy, have a great sense of humor and are excellent at Marketing.  I mean, who really cares about a sticker? 😂

On 2/24/2022 at 7:14 AM, Second Blight said:
On 2/23/2022 at 1:03 PM, Crops068 said:

People are starting to get their "invisible" books in from the looks of it.

Have seen a 9.8 and 3.5 so far on the book of faces.

Oh, you mean an empty CGC case.....

According to the guy who got the 3.5, there are "pages" in there and they're damaged such that they "earned" a 3.5.

On 2/24/2022 at 9:57 AM, valiantman said:
On 2/24/2022 at 7:14 AM, Second Blight said:
On 2/23/2022 at 1:03 PM, Crops068 said:

People are starting to get their "invisible" books in from the looks of it.

Have seen a 9.8 and 3.5 so far on the book of faces.

Oh, you mean an empty CGC case.....

According to the guy who got the 3.5, there are "pages" in there and they're damaged such that they "earned" a 3.5.

This is absolutely correct.  And stated that there is a redemption for a real readable book of some sort.

On 2/24/2022 at 3:26 PM, Troy Division said:

Too bad CGC has no 'real' competition to call them out on this.
Imagine if this was a graded 'invisible' trading card.
This is a PR nightmare that they have refused to address.

While it is a silly gimmick, it has continually brought attention to Bad Idea, which is exactly the point.

It made them a fair amount of money and marketing on their "bad ideas".

CGC, while they went with the idea to slab them, is still just a company and hoped for a better outcome on the media side I am sure.  But was it a bad idea for them to slab these?  No, it was a business decision and the information provided now is showing the "invisible" comic does indeed have damage to warrant varying grades.

CGC did indeed address this, they requested Bad Idea to stop selling them and use them for promotional purposes only.  If you consider that refusal, I disagree.

CGC is not the owner of the items and cannot force Bad Idea to stop doing what they want with their property.

No different than before or after my comics are graded, I can do what I like with them. (shrug)

On 2/24/2022 at 6:41 PM, Crops068 said:

While it is a silly gimmick, it has continually brought attention to Bad Idea, which is exactly the point.

CGC, while they went with the idea to slab them, is still just a company and hoped for a better outcome on the media side I am sure.  But was it a bad idea for them to slab these?  No, it was a business decision and the information provided now is showing the "invisible" comic does indeed have damage to warrant varying grades.

CGC did indeed address this, they requested Bad Idea to stop selling them and use them for promotional purposes only.  If you consider that refusal, I disagree.

CGC is not the owner of the items and cannot force Bad Idea to stop doing what they want with their property.

No different than before or after my comics are graded, I can do what I like with them. (shrug)

I agree.  CGC made this business decision.  If they feel so strongly about it, then they should by them off the open market and destroy them.

I got this letter a few months ago, after I redeemed my Final Five sticker and separate from the Passive Aggressive comic they mailed me, though it was clearly meant to come with it. Has any one else here gotten this? Because, for one, it's cool, but there's something peculiar about it that is either a funny coincidence or something done by them on purpose that personalizes the letter. Either way it's cool. I'll let you read the letter. Look for the potential typo. Here's the thing: my name is Brad.

biletter.jpg

On 2/24/2022 at 9:13 PM, BuraddoRun said:

I got this letter a few months ago, after I redeemed my Final Five sticker and separate from the Passive Aggressive comic they mailed me, though it was clearly meant to come with it. Has any one else here gotten this? Because, for one, it's cool, but there's something peculiar about it that is either a funny coincidence or something done by them on purpose that personalizes the letter. Either way it's cool. I'll let you read the letter. Look for the potential typo. Here's the thing: my name is Brad.

biletter.jpg

My first inclination is that they purposely used your name because it is so close to Bad. Just to add to the silliness...

On 2/23/2022 at 6:38 AM, Crops068 said:

that was some quick turn around! 

I will be sure to pour one out for that 9.4....:cry:

Side note - I did not get an extra special prize with my Final Five sticker.

No description available.

I finally took the time to really read this after responding above about a different letter he received. These guys must be smokin' some crazy chit when they write this stuff - you can't make this up!

And did anyone anywhere actually get a little "something something" ? :shiftyeyes::popcorn: Time will tell I guess.

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

On 2/24/2022 at 7:41 PM, Crops068 said:

You raise some very valid points.
Yes, Bad Idea profited the largest on these.

I cannot 'see' the damage to the books posted on eBay as the photos are blurry.
Truthfully, the lack of grader's notes on ANY of the slabbed copies (that span EVERY grade except 1.8) leads me to believe that the grades do not match any defect.

CGC asked Bad Idea to cease sales on all remaining copies around January 25th.
AFTER the first concerns / inquiries were published on this site on December 30th.
27 days later.
The thread below is what I consider a PR nightmare.

It will slowly fade away in the news cycle / memory of fans but if we were being honest...if any of the grading competitors did the same thing they'd be roasted on these boards for grading 'invisible' comics.

Edited by Troy Division