• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad Idea
4 4

349 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2022 at 2:05 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

(sigh) If I had any faith in humanity left, this would have removed a good chunk of it.

On 4/2/2022 at 4:18 PM, Lord Gemini said:

(sigh) If I had any faith in humanity left, this would have removed a good chunk of it.

Completely understand.  It is hard to watch a passion most of us here have / had (comics)  get pizzed on by a Bad Idea and a company that we just wish wasn't becoming a shell of its former self.  :sorry:

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

I don't understand the hate for Conceptual Funnies.  What's the difference between that and any other stupid comic gimmick that's come before it?  Conceptually, it's a great idea.  Also a decent, if not obvious crack at manufactured scarcity.  

I wouldn't buy it but it has its place in the long line of wacky things comic publishers do to set themselves apart.  (shrug)

Edited by Beastfeast

On 4/2/2022 at 6:08 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Completely understand.  It is hard to watch a passion most of us here have / had (comics)  get pizzed on by a Bad Idea and a company that we just wish wasn't becoming a shell of its former self.  :sorry:

My irritation is more towards the person who actually bought it, and for that much. Ha ha.

On 4/3/2022 at 5:20 AM, Lord Gemini said:

My irritation is more towards the person who actually bought it, and for that much. Ha ha.

Well that part doesn't bother me as much.. 

A fool and their money... :baiting:

On 4/2/2022 at 8:27 PM, Beastfeast said:

I don't understand the hate for Conceptual Funnies.  What's the difference between that and any other stupid comic gimmick that's come before it?  Conceptually, it's a great idea.  Also a decent, if not obvious crack at manufactured scarcity.  

I wouldn't buy it but it has its place in the long line of wacky things comic publishers do to set themselves apart.  (shrug)

Not upset about the idea.
More the complicit behavior of CGC.
Bad Idea paid CGC for the exact grades they were given.
Then sold those books to the highest private bidders.
On these boards many questions were asked of CGC, yet not one response was given to those questions.

On 4/3/2022 at 8:14 AM, fastballspecial said:

I hate to be people holding books from this company. I guess they can look like geniuses
in a few years.

🤷‍♂️
I don’t sell anything, except on very rare occasions.  So all mine are staying with me.

On 4/3/2022 at 5:16 PM, Troy Division said:

On these boards many questions were asked of CGC, yet not one response was given to those questions.

I thought the partnership with CGC was part of the point?  It's an "invisible" comic so the grade it gets is irrelevant...They assign the grades and that's that.   Also, they've never made that fact secret, right?  

Or is the idea that if a publisher can pay for these gimmick grades/books, what else can they pay for? 

Maybe I'm missing some key piece of information 

On 4/3/2022 at 8:26 PM, Beastfeast said:

I thought the partnership with CGC was part of the point?  It's an "invisible" comic so the grade it gets is irrelevant...They assign the grades and that's that.   Also, they've never made that fact secret, right?  

Or is the idea that if a publisher can pay for these gimmick grades/books, what else can they pay for? 

Maybe I'm missing some key piece of information 

It's much ado about nothing, IMO.

On 4/3/2022 at 9:26 PM, Beastfeast said:

This is the point of contention.
These were all clearly submitted to CGC to receive a the gamut of grades (except a 1.8).
NONE of the books feature ANY grading notes.
Were these published for self promotion / giveaways then I could understand.
But they were sold.
Only until there was multiple questions on these boards did CGC reach out to Bad Idea to stop selling them.
(it took CGC 27 days from initial questioning on these boards to take action)
Additionally, by doing so CGC invited the criticism that they are not above 'pay for play'.
When your 'brand' is about being accurate in grading / encapsulating you should be above reproach.

On 4/3/2022 at 5:16 PM, Troy Division said:

They did in the general section.

On 4/4/2022 at 8:18 AM, Troy Division said:

This is the point of contention.
These were all clearly submitted to CGC to receive a the gamut of grades (except a 1.8).
NONE of the books feature ANY grading notes.
Were these published for self promotion / giveaways then I could understand.
But they were sold.
Only until there was multiple questions on these boards did CGC reach out to Bad Idea to stop selling them.
(it took CGC 27 days from initial questioning on these boards to take action)
Additionally, by doing so CGC invited the criticism that they are not above 'pay for play'.
When your 'brand' is about being accurate in grading / encapsulating you should be above reproach.

Grader's notes are optional and from my understanding the acetate pages have damage to relate to the grades the labels received.  So while it is an "invisible book" there is indeed a "reason for the season".

Bad Idea is all about gimmicks, they have proven and continue proving that.

I think you are mistaking action taken and the reporting of said action taken.  CGC really doesn't owe us any response to what they do or have done in regards to someone else's property. (shrug)

On 4/4/2022 at 9:19 AM, ygogolak said:

They did in the general section.

They addressed that they contact Bad Idea and asked to them cease the sale of the Conceptual Funnies.
There were questions / concerns posed by myself and others that CGC did not respond to.
I fully understand that it is well within their rights to not address the questions.
As it is within my rights to point out they have not.

On 4/4/2022 at 9:26 AM, Crops068 said:

Grader's notes are optional and from my understanding the acetate pages have damage to relate to the grades the labels received.  So while it is an "invisible book" there is indeed a "reason for the season".

Bad Idea is all about gimmicks, they have proven and continue proving that.

I think you are mistaking action taken and the reporting of said action taken.  CGC really doesn't owe us any response to what they do or have done in regards to someone else's property. (shrug)

I am unsure about the grader's notes being optional.
Is this something the submitter requests?
What I I do know is that on ALL my books graded less than 9.2 have grader's notes assigned.
(just double checked...perhaps I am an outlier in this situation)

Yes, this is nothing against Bad Idea.
This is solely on CGC for agreeing to something without thinking it through to the end.

On 4/4/2022 at 8:44 AM, Troy Division said:

Yes, this is nothing against Bad Idea.
This is solely on CGC for agreeing to something without thinking it through to the end.

I agree. I appreciate the absurdity of the gimmick, but CGC shouldn't have played a role. 

Also, what gets lost in these gimmicks is that Bad Idea has put out some quality comics. Eniac, Odinn's Eye and all the Hero Trade backups in particular.