• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOBODY 2 starring Bob Odenkirk in development (TBD)
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Noboby was one of the biggest (and best) surprises of the year, reinventing Bob Odenkirk as a legit action icon. In fact, despite opening in the midst of a pandemic (when theaters were actually closed in much of North America) the film still grossed an excellent $26 million domestically (it's actually the eleventh highest grossing movie of the year domestically), and more than doubled that take internationally - all on a $16 million budget.

With the obvious hope that it'll turn into a John Wick-style franchise, apparently work has already begun on a -script for a sequel, a fact confirmed to me exclusively by director Ilya Naishuller in an interview we had about the movie's home video release. 

"There's plenty of stories that can be told in this world, with the character Hutch. I know that Derek (Kolstad - the writer) has begun work on the sequel," revealed Naishuller. However, he was quick to qualify that the movie is by no means greenlit, and that he personally only considers a movie greenlit when he's on the set shooting. However, he noted that audiences did indeed turn up to the see the film and that critics loved it (certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes with 84%)

"Whether it'll happen, time will tell, but all the necessary seeds have been planted," he added.

Better Call Saul star Bob Odenkirk was rushed to the hospital after collapsing on the set of the popular AMC series. Odenkirk, 58, started his Hollywood career in the late '80s as a writer for comedy shows such as Saturday Night Live and The Ben Stiller Show. He gained public recognition as an actor for playing the crooked and powerful lawyer Saul Goodman in Breaking Bad, which he reprised for its spinoff series, Better Call Saul. The role earned Odenkirk several nominations as best lead actor for a series since the show premiered in 2015.

As the prequel to the widely successful crime drama, Better Call Saul focuses on how Odenkirk's character went from being an ex-con artist named Jimmy McGill to Saul Goodman, a sharp but greedy criminal defense attorney. Better Call Saul also stars Jonathan Banks, Rhea Seehorn, and Giancarlo Esposito. The show is currently filming its sixth and last season, which is slated to be released next year.

Yeah, this sounds like it might be pretty bad. 

As it turned out, a plaque build-up in the so-called ‘widow-maker’ artery that Odenkirk had previously known about was much more advanced than he knew. Now that it’s been cleared, he’s back in business. “In the morning, they did the surgery at Presbyterian Hospital here,” he says. “They have wonderful heart surgeons here, the best in the world, and they did a amazing job. They blew out the plaque and put in stents and I’m doing great.”

Great enough, he says, to advocate for that Nobody sequel. Odenkirk confirms there has “absolutely” been talk of a follow-up, though an official confirmation is yet to be confirmed. “We are working on making that happen,” he says. “Universal has been very upbeat and welcoming. Derek [Kolstad, screenwriter] and I have talked story. It’s not a sure thing yet, but we’re working on it. I think the signs point to yes.” Frankly, it’s just good to have Odenkirk still with us. But if he’s up for a Nobody sequel, and if the studio is able to make that happen, then it’s kitty-cat bracelets all around.

When asked if he thinks a Nobody sequel will progress to completion, Leitch replied, “Yes, I do,” he reassured Collider. “I do, because there are these certain journeys that you go on, and they’re just undeniable experiences for the people involved. And that was one of them. And I think all of us want to go back and play in that universe, and we want to see Bob bring that character to life again.”

According to Leitch, ideas for a Nobody sequel were passed around less than a month after the original film’s theatrical release. While the sequel isn’t officially on anyone’s calendar yet, it sounds like it’s only a matter of time before an official announcement about the follow-up happens.

On 8/4/2022 at 10:18 AM, pemart1966 said:

Didn't like the first movie - very disappointing - too Hollywood; too cliche.  Hoping that the sequel is better...

I didn't remember watching it so I cued it up. Ten minutes in ,I was pretty sure I'd seen it.  I like the actor well enough. I'm glad he is healthy and hwish him continued success.

On 8/4/2022 at 2:46 PM, piper said:

This was filmed in the Great White North, specifically Winnipeg, MB.

Loved the movie, and the DVD extras - particularly the fight scene(s) choreography is not to be missed.