• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
16 16

1,591 posts in this topic

On 12/2/2021 at 5:45 AM, Sarg said:

It looks like the lowest auction price for a Promise book so far has been this one. Closed at  $104.

Crime Can't Win #42 in G+

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crime-can-t-win-42-2-the-promise-collection-pedigree-marvel-1950-condition-gd-/a/122148-19245.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

In the “Promise world” a steal. In the real world just plain crazy...

On 12/2/2021 at 7:57 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Yes, the question being, which world is real? Reminds me of the movie Koyaanisqatsi - which I believe translates to 'life out of balance'.

koyaanisqatsi

That is putting it mildly. I can’t imagine what a lot of these people are going to feel once the hype dies down and they decide to sell.

I have already seen several of these out in the market. A couple of sellers just want to get their original purchase price with very little in the way of sales.

Church books are even looking like a steal these days. 

On 12/2/2021 at 9:11 AM, Robot Man said:

That is putting it mildly. I can’t imagine what a lot of these people are going to feel once the hype dies down and they decide to sell.

I have already seen several of these out in the market. A couple of sellers just want to get their original purchase price with very little in the way of sales.

For such an amazing collection, it has a lot of books that aren't very exciting.  Mostly due to the era during which it was collected.  I would have assumed that those would have gone cheap, but I would have assumed wrong.  Very wrong.  It's kind of inexplicable.  

On 12/2/2021 at 5:17 PM, buttock said:

For such an amazing collection, it has a lot of books that aren't very exciting.  Mostly due to the era during which it was collected.  I would have assumed that those would have gone cheap, but I would have assumed wrong.  Very wrong.  It's kind of inexplicable.  

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

On 12/2/2021 at 10:11 AM, Robot Man said:

If there's an unforced error here, it's the bulld up of the "Promise" as being in the same league as Church with added salt being rubbed in collector's wounds via a perception of loose grading with so many Promise books presented as top grades.  In reality, there aren't as many cross-over (Church vs Promise) books currently on the market to compare (a lot of Church copies remain ungraded or have been withdrawn into private collections away from further marketplace scrutiny).  

In the early days of grading a 9.4 or 9.6 was an incredibly high grade for any GA comic to receive and those Church books which achieved that status presented as newsstand fresh.  Time-wise, Church books run the gamut from late 30's into the 50's with a lot of top grade books in the late 30's and early 40's.  The Promise collection's best books are in the mid-40's to the start of 1950.  In that regard, there's an apples & oranges aspect to making comparisons, but where there are comparisons worth making I'd love to compare the specifics in grader's notes in addition to eyeballing the covers.

On 12/2/2021 at 11:17 AM, buttock said:

The Desperado sales are easily explained.  The bidders mistakingly assumed they were some sorta mid-70's reprints published by Larry Flint with Linda Ronstadt centerfolds.

On 11/25/2021 at 8:21 AM, Beige said:

Thanks guys - All sorted now - they had to send me a form to allow me to ship to a different address. Insurance coverage etc etc 

Cheers

Is it normal for Heritage to be so poor at customer service?

I waited 8 days, and asked them twice to add postage to the invoice.

I got fed up of waiting, paid the bill, and - yup there's an email saying the invoice was incorrect as no postage had been added. :facepalm:

I know - THATS WHY I CONTACTED YOU TWICE....

Their customer service is terrible frankly.  Is this normal, or because I am overseas?

Not getting a strong urge to buy again, if I have to jump through hoops every single time.

@Ricksneatstuff

On 12/2/2021 at 6:52 PM, Beige said:

Is it normal for Heritage to be so poor at customer service?

I waited 8 days, and asked them twice to add postage to the invoice.

I got fed up of waiting, paid the bill, and - yup there's an email saying the invoice was incorrect as no postage had been added. :facepalm:

I know - THATS WHY I CONTACTED YOU TWICE....

Their customer service is terrible frankly.  Is this normal, or because I am overseas?

Not getting a strong urge to buy again, if I have to jump through hoops every single time.

@Ricksneatstuff

I'm in the UK. Whenever I've bought from them, they would bill separately for postage after mailing the book(s).

On 12/2/2021 at 12:17 PM, buttock said:

I would have assumed that those would have gone cheap, but I would have assumed wrong.  Very wrong.  It's kind of inexplicable.  

Run the presses at the Mint 24 by 7 + a new pedigree full of attractive, top census copies = $$$Profit$$$

The Promise Collection offers a very simple and attractive story that adds a shine even to the most ordinary issues.

On 12/2/2021 at 8:11 AM, Robot Man said:

Based upon posts on these very boards here, I can think of only 2 or possibly 3 of these Promise Collection books trying to make their way back into the marketplace.  And needless to say and not surprisingly, not with any kind of profit once you factor in the fees involved.  hm  :tonofbricks:

BTW:  Is anybody here aware of any that has come back with higher grades than the original grades which were assigned to them when auctioned off by Heritage?  (shrug)

This is so very much unlike the Jon Berk Collection whereby you saw so many books being encased in new slabs with higher grades and being resold in the marketplace, mere weeks after they were auctioned off through the CC auction platform.  hm

Definitely food for thought as it certainly makes you wonder what's actually going on behind the scenes with the overlapping ownership, especially in light of what we are reading with regards to the current Wata and Heritage controversy.  :devil:

On 12/2/2021 at 8:02 PM, lou_fine said:

This is so very much unlike the Jon Berk Collection whereby you saw so many books being encased in new slabs with higher grades and being resold in the marketplace, mere weeks after they were auctioned off through the CC auction platform.  hm

Ah, the good old days

On 12/2/2021 at 5:39 PM, adamstrange said:

Run the presses at the Mint 24 by 7 + a new pedigree full of attractive, top census copies = $$$Profit$$$

The Promise Collection offers a very simple and attractive story that adds a shine on to even the most ordinary issues.

:foryou: Fixed that for you! (thumbsu

On 12/2/2021 at 10:33 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Ah, the good old days

This is from an early science-fiction film (1930) set 50 years into the future; sort of a musical comedy version of Buck Rogers.

I tried to locate a better clip, but this was the only one I found with the whole gag... :devil:

On 12/2/2021 at 9:21 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

This is from an early science-fiction film (1930) set 50 years into the future; sort of a musical comedy version of Buck Rogers.

I tried to locate a better clip, but this was the only one I found with the whole gag... :devil:

That was fun. The last joke was surprisingly adult for 1930

On 12/2/2021 at 8:02 PM, lou_fine said:

I can think of only 2 or possibly 3 of these Promise Collection books trying to make their way back into the marketplace.  

They're making their way back into future HA auctions even now.  Like the 5 books in the April 2022 Sig.  When the past auction results are still displayed, it's not a renege, you're seeing a resale.

Edited by Dr. Love

4 on Worldwide now, all at about a 50% markup, none that I think anyone would have called a steal at their original auction price, but I don't really follow any of these books or titles.  I've seen a few on other dealer websites too.  Not a ton yet true, but...we'll see if they sit or not.

image.png.0d7298817766a4368d091b1c0733cf89.png

Edited by szav

On 12/2/2021 at 10:19 PM, szav said:

4 on Worldwide now, all at about a 50% markup, none that I think anyone would have called a steal at their original auction price, but I don't really follow any of these books or titles.  I've seen a few on other dealer websites too.  Not a ton yet true, but...we'll see if they sit or not.

image.png.0d7298817766a4368d091b1c0733cf89.png

Simply amazing that you guys are able to keep track of these books here.  :applause:

Slightly different from his MO with the Jon Berk books where virtually all of the ones they had listed on the WW website were encased in higher graded slabs.  :p