• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
16 16

1,591 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, szav said:

There will be some great deals, even going forward but the above say 17 months will look back and say that was a "smoking" deal for a pedigree copy. Cong to the winner

6 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Mitch do you even look at these things and think about what it is you're saying.

While I think the price is in keeping for a normal 7.0, this book is far from that.  A disturbing result actually, as it speaks more to a frothy and unsustainable market than a hella strong one.

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Action Comics #77 The Promise Collection Pedigree (DC, 1944) CGC FN/VF 7.0 White pages....

My response is this, when we first took on the SF collection as collectors as well as the Church...the uproar among GA collectors especially veteran collectors was 10X what the prices and reactions have brought for the promise collection. Of course buying in hindsight helps in this instance. I would hesitate to say any Promise book with a front and back cover attached as the beginning prices are gonna be bargains, both historically as well as realistically in the future. You can disagree with grade but not the pedigree. The Promise difference is that every book will be available price history, picture wise for the entire collection online 24 hours a day. If you think you are the only one to tell me the comic book market is "frothy and unsustainable " when it comes to pedigree books and prices, let me and you go back in a time machine to when SF/Church hit the market...the only thing people talked about was how you would NEVER recover the price you paid...I mean everyone, except of course the TCBC who were in the the long run, able to hold for a period of time those collectors knew. I am simply stating that as we go towards the end of this collection, just like the SF collection which was slowly getting bought up prices will increase.

I hear you point of view, I been hearing that since I have a comic book collector for the last say 60 years, especially since 1973 and the atomic bomb impact of the media acknowledging that GA comic books have real value. I understand what you are saying, I am just not buying it.

6 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

My response is this, when we first took on the SF collection as collectors as well as the Church...the uproar among GA collectors especially veteran collectors was 10X what the prices and reactions have brought for the promise collection. Of course buying in hindsight helps in this instance. I would hesitate to say any Promise book with a front and back cover attached as the beginning prices are gonna be bargains, both historically as well as realistically in the future. You can disagree with grade but not the pedigree. The Promise difference is that every book will be available price history, picture wise for the entire collection online 24 hours a day. If you think you are the only one to tell me the comic book market is "frothy and unsustainable " when it comes to pedigree books and prices, let me and you go back in a time machine to when SF/Church hit the market...the only thing people talked about was how you would NEVER recover the price you paid...I mean everyone, except of course the TCBC who were in the the long run, able to hold for a period of time those collectors knew. I am simply stating that as we go towards the end of this collection, just like the SF collection which was slowly getting bought up prices will increase.

I hear you point of view, I been hearing that since I have a comic book collector for the last say 60 years, especially since 1973 and the atomic bomb impact of the media acknowledging that GA comic books have real value. I understand what you are saying, I am just not buying it.

So the answer is, "no".

4 minutes ago, buttock said:

So the answer is, "no".

YEP....I think the Promise books have a great future in our GA comic book world. The pedigree books will hold their value, even at "frothy" prices which some collectors could call them  and over time price wise will set apart from the pack, especially 9.4.9.6, and 9.8. But all will do well in the future.

Edited by Mmehdy

2 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Mitch do you even look at these things and think about what it is you're saying.

While I think the price is in keeping for a normal 7.0, this book is far from that.  A disturbing result actually, as it speaks more to a frothy and unsustainable market than a hella strong one.

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Action Comics #77 The Promise Collection Pedigree (DC, 1944) CGC FN/VF 7.0 White pages....

I am not worried about whether or not @Mmehdy is looking at these books or not.  

My concern is whether the CGC graders themselves are looking at these Promise Collection books or not when they are grading them, as this copy here looks even worse than one of those Danny Dupchak machete whack-a-book jobs, as based upon the back cover scan here.  :fear:

Oh, my bad here as it looks like the graders did give a good whacking to this Action 77 here, as they must consider the CGC 7.0 grade on the Promise book to be a big huge drop as compared to this CGC 7.5 non-Promise graded book with this "equally fugly" back cover here:  :devil:  :screwy:

fou3.200b.jpg

It seems like the AC77 is a good example of a mis-graded book, but not for the reason that is suggested or implicit above. 

The book has very little post-production damage or wear.   It was printed like that, i.e., miscut.   In fact, aside from the miscut, technically it looks better than a 7.0.  Look at that spine and all edges.  Look at everything but the miscut.  That should have been at least an 8.0, and I have seen books miscut like this grade higher. Historically, CGC has not discounted a grade due to miscut except in the case of the highest NM grades.   So this book is an example of an under-graded (as opposed to over-graded) book.  Regardless, this type of mis-grading, like any over-grading, also brings into question the competence of the CGC graders involved with this collection.       

As a side note, severe miscuts like this add charm!  In another hobby, the error would command some independent (and very substantial) premium due to the error.  Just ask any coin, currency, or stamp collector.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 7/18/2021 at 9:52 PM, Dr. Love said:

“Slightly miscut”

Edited by batman_fan

On 6/26/2021 at 10:55 PM, tth2 said:

Basically, Heritage are offering a worse deal on OA consignments than on comic consignments, waiving only 50% of the seller's commission versus 100%.

50% off of the seller's premium is all that I've ever been offered on comic books. This certificate is about three years old, so maybe their policy has changed—or maybe they offer more to certain customers—or maybe it depends on the dollar value of the book.

IMG_20210719_115706001~2.jpg

On 7/19/2021 at 11:08 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

50% off of the seller's premium is all that I've ever been offered on comic books. This certificate is about three years old, so maybe their policy has changed—or maybe they offer more to certain customers—or maybe it depends on the dollar value of the book.

IMG_20210719_115706001~2.jpg

I think it's a better deal Heritage is offering just on Promise Collection book resales

On 7/19/2021 at 12:39 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I think it's a better deal Heritage is offering just on Promise Collection book resales

@MasterChief posted a certificate offering a 0% seller's premium on a non-Promise comic book. The certificates for the Promise books go even further, offering a 0% seller's premium and a 10% buyer's premium.

On 6/25/2021 at 3:37 PM, MasterChief said:

I got a certificate from this auction, too. However, it was for a Mile High copy not a Promise copy, with different wording.

Anyone care to explain the difference in the two?

auction-cert.png.3e2eee8fe2f469e68aa59e6d0c48b092.png

On 7/19/2021 at 1:29 PM, Straw-Man said:

entertaining offers on my higher-graded ped copy.

p.s.  not really, but these times/this market is enuff to make you wonder it you should divest at least a little...

aw7.jpg

Even on the Promise Collection books, I've noticed disparities in auctions results between Timely war covers and DCs.  It might just be that Timely war covers are heating up, and that pedigree copies are on fire.  I'm sure all my friends here would agree:  You should totally send your book thru the Heritage weekly auction so we could all know for sure.  Think of it as a trial balloon sent up for the good of the hobby.     :baiting: