• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
16 16

1,590 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2021 at 9:44 PM, szav said:

On closer look the right edge looks a bit wavy...I was thinking maybe the kid or someone else took scissors to it?

Yeah it does. So forget what I said about Heritage possibly having it trimmed. I didn't realize it's still an active auction until just now. Also Apparant? I thought they stopped using that term on the labels. I guess they still do if trimming is the only "restoration". 

On 11/20/2021 at 6:42 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

It will be interesting to see what Promise books are selling for in a couple of years, after the hype has died down. I suspect that sellers who try to cash out via the no-reserve-auction route will end up taking some hefty losses, but we'll see.

Similar comments have been made the entire time I've been collecting, just replace "Promise" with "Mile High", "White Mountain", "Pacific Coast", etc. etc. 

On 11/20/2021 at 9:03 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

We have seen at least two pedigrees where some buyers took huge losses when they re-sold: Billy Wright and Vancouver.

Which Vancouver books sold for a lot less the second time around?

I've had very good success with all of my Vancouvers when I sold them.

I also can't imagine seeing a Vancouver in person and saying it's not as good as it's cracked up to be.  I've owned a number and they are spectacular.

On 11/21/2021 at 9:53 PM, Straw-Man said:

tim, how will i ever get rid of this boat anchor?

Better sell to me at a discount, given that the fate of all Vancouver owners is apparently to take a big haircut.

But for you, I'll require only a 10% price cut! 

I am a bit of a newbee to GA collecting given I started buying in the late 70s.  The only time I have seen prices go down on books is when someone paid top dollar and then tried to immediately flip it.  My experience has been there have been several price pauses where things in general level off before resuming their climb.

On 11/21/2021 at 9:02 AM, batman_fan said:

The only time I have seen prices go down on books is when someone paid top dollar and then tried to immediately flip it.

Try telling that to somebody like Jay Parrino who lost big time money on virtually all of his GA purchases even though he didn't tried to flip them immediately. :tonofbricks:

I guess the moral here is NOT to over pay for your books in the first place, which kind of makes me wonder how long some of the Promise Collection buyers will have to wait before they can get back to the breakeven level on some of their purchases.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  

On 11/21/2021 at 2:36 PM, lou_fine said:

Try telling that to somebody like Jay Parrino who lost big time money on virtually all of his GA purchases even though he didn't tried to flip them immediately. :tonofbricks:

I guess the moral here is NOT to over pay for your books in the first place, which kind of makes me wonder how long some of the Promise Collection buyers will have to wait before they can get back to the breakeven level on some of their purchases.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  

He paid way over top dollar and had he held them a few more years, he would be in the black in a big way.  Had he held til now he would be balling with Elon.

On 11/22/2021 at 5:36 AM, lou_fine said:

It was pretty close to immediately.

On 11/21/2021 at 1:36 PM, lou_fine said:

Seems like I almost always feel like I over pay lately. I have felt that way for years and they almost always caught up. Now, I just bend over and grit my teeth and enjoy the book for what it is, not what I paid for it.

The Promise books are another story though. Seems like every book in a Promise slab goes for insane money. Like has been said, pretty much anyone looking to them for investment is going to have to be around for the long haul or just love them more than I do. 

On 11/21/2021 at 12:51 AM, tth2 said:

Which Vancouver books sold for a lot less the second time around?

I've had very good success with all of my Vancouvers when I sold them.

I also can't imagine seeing a Vancouver in person and saying it's not as good as it's cracked up to be.  I've owned a number and they are spectacular.

Namora #1 comes to mind.

On 11/19/2021 at 3:43 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I still can't wrap my brain around the grades that some of these Promise books have gotten. I never thought that I would see high-grade books with rat chews!

I still can't wrap my brain around the fact that you seem to have forgotten that spines, corners, edges, and staples are way above and far beyond the pay grade of the CGC graders to take a look at when it comes to grading books from the Promise Collection.  doh!  :devil:

All kidding aside and on a more serious note here, any truth to the rumours that a family of rats have infiltrated the new additional 25,000 square foot of warehouse storage base they have added into their facilities to hold and store their submitted and now finally opened comic books that's now awaiting grading and slabbing.............Yum, Yum!!!  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/21/2021 at 7:38 PM, tth2 said:

It was pretty close to immediately.

I think that he bought quite a few books through Greg Manning Auctions in 2000 and 2001 and sold the books in 2002 and 2003. I can't swear to that, but that's the way I remember it.

Did GPA exist back then? I think prices were down across the board from 2003—2006 versus 1999—2002. I was on a long break after 2002, and I remember coming back and looking at old auction results and thinking that I had picked a terrible time to step away from the hobby.

On 11/22/2021 at 12:22 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I think that he bought quite a few books through Greg Manning Auctions in 2000 and 2001 and sold the books in 2002 and 2003. I can't swear to that, but that's the way I remember it.

Did GPA exist back then? I think prices were down across the board from 2003—2006 versus 1999—2002. I was on a long break after 2002, and I remember coming back and looking at old auction results and thinking that I had picked a terrible time to step away from the hobby.

I thought the combination of the Nic Cage HA auction and the development of the CGC Boards jump-started the GA market in 2002, but maybe I'm misremembering.