• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
16 16

1,590 posts in this topic

On 12/3/2021 at 2:19 PM, szav said:

4 on Worldwide now, all at about a 50% markup, none that I think anyone would have called a steal at their original auction price, but I don't really follow any of these books or titles.  I've seen a few on other dealer websites too.  Not a ton yet true, but...we'll see if they sit or not.

image.png.0d7298817766a4368d091b1c0733cf89.png

So they sold at nosebleed prices to start, and now Ritter wants to mark them up another 50%?  Wow!  Assuming this is his business and not just a hobby, it's great that his business is doing so well that he can afford for his investments to sit unproductively for years.

On 12/2/2021 at 8:02 PM, lou_fine said:

Based upon posts on these very boards here, I can think of only 2 or possibly 3 of these Promise Collection books trying to make their way back into the marketplace.  And needless to say and not surprisingly, not with any kind of profit once you factor in the fees involved.  hm  :tonofbricks:

BTW:  Is anybody here aware of any that has come back with higher grades than the original grades which were assigned to them when auctioned off by Heritage?  (shrug)

This is so very much unlike the Jon Berk Collection whereby you saw so many books being encased in new slabs with higher grades and being resold in the marketplace, mere weeks after they were auctioned off through the CC auction platform.  hm

Definitely food for thought as it certainly makes you wonder what's actually going on behind the scenes with the overlapping ownership, especially in light of what we are reading with regards to the current Wata and Heritage controversy.  :devil:

I bought several of Jon’s books in the CC auction. They were fairly graded, sold at no reserve and buyer’s premium and a nice cross section of material. There were books that went to the moon of course. But many of his books were super rare and seldom seen. Was a collection put together out of love of the medium. CC did a great job of selling this legendary collection. 

I managed to actually get a couple of deals. Not saying it wasn’t hyped but many of us knew Jon and it seemed like a celebration of the medium. It was a fun and positive affair.

It is now a different time. The market is booming. The Promise books as wonderful as they are, have been manupulitated, pimped and every dime squeezed out of them. They no longer seem like comics but instead dollar signs and corporate greed. I have not really seen any deals. Time will tell if these prices will translate to profits for the buyers. Doesn’t look that way to me at least in the near future. 

On 12/3/2021 at 2:58 AM, tth2 said:

So they sold at nosebleed prices to start, and now Ritter wants to mark them up another 50%?  Wow!  Assuming this is his business and not just a hobby, it's great that his business is doing so well that he can afford for his investments to sit unproductively for years.

Steve runs a good business. He is also one of the best guys to deal with. He isn’t hurting. These aren’t really big numbers for books in this day and age.

But they aren’t real high demand issues. Anybody know any Kid Eternity collectors? They are Promise books though.

My guess is he is fishing. Doesn’t seem likely he will sell them soon. Even at the 50% he paid for them.

He can probably afford to sit on them if he wants. My guess is they will be warm for quite some time until he decides to discount them. 

On 12/3/2021 at 5:58 AM, tth2 said:

Look at it this way, if he does sell them, he's found a new customer that would be the envy of every dealer.

On 12/3/2021 at 2:20 PM, path4play said:

I bought no less than 6 of the ungraded Police Comics in the last auction.  Brings my count of Pedigreed copies in the run to 39.

Congrats!  Let us know how they look in hand vs the grade, and if you have the time I'd love to see interior shots and see the PQ etc.

On 12/3/2021 at 1:20 PM, path4play said:

I bought no less than 6 of the ungraded Police Comics in the last auction.  Brings my count of Pedigreed copies in the run to 39.

Congrats on your Police Comics pickup, but I thought you already had the "in" with Pat to acquire some of the Chinatown pedigree Police Comics from him?  hm

Then again, I guess the more, the merrier and you can never get quite enough when it comes to picking up copies of pedigree comic books.  :luhv:  :takeit:

On 12/4/2021 at 2:09 AM, lou_fine said:

Congrats on your Police Comics pickup, but I thought you already had the "in" with Pat to acquire some of the Chinatown pedigree Police Comics from him?  hm

Then again, I guess the more, the merrier and you can never get quite enough when it comes to picking up copies of pedigree comic books.  :luhv:  :takeit:

No in.  Request summarily, but politely, denied. 

Unlike today, Police Comics were so widely popular back in the day, I'm sure most Pedigrees have at least one issue?  So, I'm clearly still missing a few Pedigrees.  The Quest will continue.

Edited by path4play

On 12/3/2021 at 10:47 AM, Robot Man said:

It is now a different time. The market is booming. The Promise books as wonderful as they are, have been manupulitated, pimped and every dime squeezed out of them. They no longer seem like comics but instead dollar signs and corporate greed. I have not really seen any deals. Time will tell if these prices will translate to profits for the buyers. Doesn’t look that way to me at least in the near future.

I’ve said this many times as well. While the books from that collection are great, I just don’t see them holding their value in the long run.

Though with exception of the blue chip keys and PCH books I’d say since those typically do well regardless. 

On 12/4/2021 at 9:49 PM, Terry JSA said:

I’ve said this many times as well. While the books from that collection are great, I just don’t see them holding their value in the long run.

Though with exception of the blue chip keys and PCH books I’d say since those typically do well regardless. 

Some will and some won't.  In my estimation, for whatever that's worth, Promise books will be assessed and reassessed on a case by case basis.  

I suspect some collectors will judge by what's observable through the holder, others, by what's in the grade box or the pedigree story. 

I just bought my first Promise Collection book.  I will wait until it arrives before I post it.  

My Pedigree collection is a bit smaller.

Circle 8  - two books

Crippen "D" - one book

Mass Copy - one book

Mile High II - one book (yes, I know this "pedigree" is questionable)

Northland - one book

Promise Collection - one book

Savannah - one book

Winnipeg - one book

Total: 9

My target is to have one from each of the Pedigrees - Lord only knows how long that will take, or how much money that will cost me.

PDG

PDG

On 1/3/2022 at 3:39 PM, PDGray said:

I just bought my first Promise Collection book.  I will wait until it arrives before I post it.  

My Pedigree collection is a bit smaller.

Circle 8  - two books

Crippen "D" - one book

Mass Copy - one book

Mile High II - one book (yes, I know this "pedigree" is questionable)

Northland - one book

Promise Collection - one book

Savannah - one book

Winnipeg - one book

Total: 9

My target is to have one from each of the Pedigrees - Lord only knows how long that will take, or how much money that will cost me.

PDG

PDG

It sounds like a fun goal. I sort of have the same goal for GA pedigrees but with a few caveats. The Allentown, Denver, River City, and Rockford collections all have page quality that doesn't thrill me, so I'm not sure whether I would want to include those. Also, I haven't seen many Carson City or Vancouver books that would be a good fit for my collection. I hoping that there are some, though. (I haven't seen any lists of what books are in those collections.)

1. 1 Bethlehem
  2. 1 Big Apple
  3. 1 Cookeville
  4. 1 Cosmic Aeroplane
  5. 1 Crowley
  6. 3 Dell File Copies (2 GA)
  7. 1 Diamond Run (Diamond Run is to pedigrees what Pluto is to planets)
  8. 1 Lost Valley
  9. 4 Mile High
  10. 1 Ohio
  11. 1 Pennsylvania
  12. 2 Promise
  13. 1 Spokane
  14. 2 White Mountain