• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
16 16

1,591 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2022 at 5:31 PM, MrBedrock said:

Why would off-white to white pages bother you?

daring1.jpg

dollman1.jpg

On 1/3/2022 at 5:28 PM, MrBedrock said:

wonderworld8.jpg

silverstreak6.jpg

wonderworld10.jpg

They wouldn't! Those are nice examples. It seems like most of the ones I've seen have pages that were in the Off-White to Cream-to-Off-White range. So maybe I'm remembering wrong, or maybe those are above-average examples for those particular pedigrees.

On 1/3/2022 at 5:02 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

They wouldn't! Those are nice examples. It seems like most of the ones I've seen have pages that were in the Off-White to Cream-to-Off-White range. So maybe I'm remembering wrong, or maybe those are above-average examples for those particular pedigrees.

I think you are remembering wrong, and passing that on to a new collector.

In particular with Allentowns. Most have excellent page quality. There are very few Allentowns and most are pricey titles, so that could be a hindrance to acquiring one. But page quality is really not an issue. Same with Denvers; few examples, only first issues, pricey, and therefore tougher to acquire. They are of slightly lesser page quality than Allentowns. River City books are mostly of very nice page quality for the era - 1950's when nice paper is harder to come by - and so most collectors are more than willing to be even a little more forgiving of cream to off-white. 

Edited by MrBedrock

On 1/3/2022 at 5:28 PM, MrBedrock said:

wonderworld8.jpg

silverstreak6.jpg

wonderworld10.jpg

@MrBedrock is back :manhero:

PQ aside, as I'm perfectly ok with c/ow for most gold (to each his own) acquiring an Allentown is a jewel in the crown simply because there are so few books in the collection when compared to other pedigrees (132?) WAY more serious GA collectors than that! Imagine one collector holding say 20, even more of a small pool to go around.

Church maybe King, and Promise maybe the hot thing of the times but there will always be some thing very special about that small stash out of PA:cloud9:

On 1/4/2022 at 6:18 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

The Allentown, Denver, River City, and Rockford collections all have page quality that doesn't thrill me, so I'm not sure whether I would want to include those.

It's a good thing I sold this already, otherwise I'd now feel compelled to burn it.

2087784170_fc178(Heritagescan).thumb.jpg.b9a88ee858543bb35255379fa56f7094.jpg

On 1/3/2022 at 2:28 PM, MrBedrock said:

wonderworld8.jpg

wonderworld10.jpg

Hey Richard;

Now that the truth is finally out about these nasty dirty off-color Allentown books, I guess you must be looking for the fastest possible way to cast them out from your personal collection.  :bigsmile:  :takeit:

Being the nice guy that you are, I will willing to take the hit and will grudgingly trade my copies of Wonderworld 8 and 10 for your Allentown copies before they denigrate your collection any further.  No doubt you'll win out on this trade here since my copies comes with that classic greased pencilled black "S" mark on the front cover which gives the books some real true character.  :devil:   :luhv: