• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
16 16

1,590 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Well that’s right. I question the grade myself. In fact, i was one of the first to call out the grading generally on this collection. Although I think most have now come around, early on I got my manhood questioned on the boards here for it. 

but what I don’t question is I’ll never have another shot at a high grade All Select 2. Its now or never

What do you think would be the accurate grade for this book?

13 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Big Congrats on the AS #2, Clark!  You too, Richard, on the Flash! The whales I landed (please note, these are HA scans; the caveat is that I don't know how they'll look in hand)...

lf.thumb.jpeg.7cfd0043d968db05db8bcd58e9ae4c1a.jpeg  lf.thumb.jpeg.010dfbb59215008466b784e73f62e29c.jpeg

:tink:

I’ve always loved that Catman cover. Congratulations 

2 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Once I get it in hand and have a chance to live with it awhile, I’m sure it’ll come to me in a vision that’s it’s a 9.8

Which hand?

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Well that’s right. I question the grade myself. In fact, i was one of the first to call out the grading generally on this collection. Although I think most have now come around, early on I got my manhood questioned on the boards here for it. 

but what I don’t question is I’ll never have another shot at a high grade All Select 2. Its now or never

Well spoken. We buy it when we see it. If we can afford it.

As far as "manhood" is concerned, it takes a man to point out something that isn't quite snuff. And stand by it.

I've always been vocal about my view that the structural integrity of a book, particularly vintage books, is more important than the cover.  I always approach the issue as if I were in pre-slab days, because I (as a privileged custodian of these gems) care about the book more than easier flippability via the cover's appearance through a slab.  Of course, the book should still look nice for the grade !   Anyway, to the extent that the suspected overgrading is in fact accurate grading to reflect the quality of interiors/structure, then that is a very good thing for the hobby.  I guess we need to crack open enough Promise slabs to achieve a statistically significant sample size and drool over, I mean, examine the whole book and re-grade.  I volunteer for that.  

Edited by Pantodude

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Big Congrats on the AS #2, Clark!  You too, Richard, on the Flash! The whales I landed (please note, these are HA scans; the caveat is that I don't know how they'll look in hand)...

lf.thumb.jpeg.7cfd0043d968db05db8bcd58e9ae4c1a.jpeg  lf.thumb.jpeg.010dfbb59215008466b784e73f62e29c.jpeg

:tink:

CONG, great choices on those two SUPER books.

3 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

That All Select #2 and the Flash #86 are killer books.  :tink:

When it comes to weighing the risk or paying more than current FMV for books such as those in the Promise Collection the two critical factors from my perspective are how strong is the pedigree and grade rank compared to others.  The Promise Collection has a great story and I expect even more will eventually come out about the collectors ...privacy concerns notwithstanding... due to the heightened interest and the amount of cash the family will inevitable receive.

As for the books themselves, my biggest concern is nagging doubts over grade consistency.  There are some WTF scans of high grade Promise books that when scrutinized and closely examined using HA enlargement tool with noticeable color breaking issues that don't seem to merit their grade designations when compared to other peds and non-ped counterparts.  Note: This isn't meant to criticize graders or anyone's rationale for grades, but the scans are what they are.  

My general assessment is that many of the Promise books appear to be two grade clicks off just from cover flaws (9.8 = 9.4, 9.4 = 9.0 etc., but it's a case by case thing).  They're still incredible books worthy of status, but maybe nudged in status a bit too much.  Maybe the Promise books are getting extra credit for color pop or nice interiors, but cover flaws used to take books down several notches automatically.

Sorry, that's my honest (long winded) two cents, even as a bidder on these books.  :sorry: 

Yep. And the infuriating thing to me has been the grading position taken that dust shadows and miscuts and miswraps all get a pass. And any defect anywhere near a corner is a bindery issue. Case in point for that is the Cap 36 and 46, at least to me. Those books brought insane prices for new owners not overly burdened by the notion of eye appeal. 

I hear you Cat. But still. When a favored book comes up, you leap

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

11 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yep. And the infuriating thing to me has been the grading position taken that dust shadows and miscuts and miswraps all get a pass. And any defect anywhere near a corner is a bindery issue. Case in point for that is the Cap 36 and 46, at least to me. Those books brought insane prices for new owners not overly burdened by the notion of eye appeal. 

I hear you Cat. But still. When a favored book comes up, you hold your nose and leap

Well, miscuts and miswraps do not hit the grade (much) as a general rule, not just these Promise books, as they are part of the printing process and have nothing to do with deterioration/mis-handling of the book over time.  And we can use our own eyes to evaluate those issues easily enough.  So it's not really fair to criticize or single-out Promise books in that regard.  But tears and more than slight dust shadows ...that's a different issue!  

Edited by Pantodude

2 hours ago, Chief1332 said:

Such a beautiful book.  In the courtroom.. thought you might have bid on a Crime Does Not Pay, or something similar.xD

Obviously Crime does pay for GCG, as he is a lawyer.. 

5 hours ago, tth2 said:

I was commenting to another collector that one of the interesting things about the Jon Berk auction was that the buyers seemed pretty spread out and quite a number of buyers publicized their wins, including here.

In contrast, as far as I know, the buyers of a lot of the high profile sales on Heritage in the last few years (e.g., the Church Pep, Hit and Zip runs) have remained anonymous.  I expect the same to be true for the Promise books.

Bidder numbers 7525 and 7103 were the 800 pound gorillas.