• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
16 16

1,591 posts in this topic

On 12/18/2022 at 7:12 PM, BanjerD said:

The Promise copy of CMA18 had a nice little bump in the recent ComicConnect auction. But probably not enough for the seller to make much profit on this sale.

promise_sale_10k.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 9.06.54.png

I don't think most Promise book sellers are looking for a profit. If you can get out from under a Promise book without taking a loss, that's a win!

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 12/18/2022 at 11:16 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Some of the prices paid the first time around were ridiculous. I laughed out loud when I saw that someone had paid $21,000 for a copy of Saddle Justice #6. I actually laughed so hard that I had to wipe the tears from my eyes just now.

When I look on Heritage, though, it lists the book as "Not Sold," so I guess the buyer backed out.

SJ6.PNG

Yes, this was discussed in one of the threads at the time.

Anybody going for the rare and HTF Green on this recycled and non-CPR Promise copy of All-Top 16 that's coming back to market in Heritage's Good Girl/Bad Girl Valentine's Showcase Auction, or are most of us simply going to go with the seasonal Valentine's Day red, especially since the book had sold for $13,200 in its initial go round back in November of 2021:  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-top-comics-16-the-promise-collection-pedigree-fox-features-syndicate-1949-cgc-vf-80-off-white-to-white-pages/p/40216-25001.s?ctrack=473536&type=bodylink-2-comic-consign-40216-tem122122

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, All Top Comics #16 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Fox Fe...

On 12/21/2022 at 7:03 PM, lou_fine said:

Anybody going for the rare and HTF Green on this recycled and non-CPR Promise copy of All-Top 16 that's coming back to market in Heritage's Good Girl/Bad Girl Valentine's Showcase Auction, or are most of us simply going to go with the seasonal Valentine's Day red, especially since the book had sold for $13,200 in its initial go round back in November of 2021:  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-top-comics-16-the-promise-collection-pedigree-fox-features-syndicate-1949-cgc-vf-80-off-white-to-white-pages/p/40216-25001.s?ctrack=473536&type=bodylink-2-comic-consign-40216-tem122122

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, All Top Comics #16 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Fox Fe...

3 higher.

On 12/21/2022 at 4:04 PM, comicnoir said:

3 higher.

Ummmm.................what exactly does the census or grade have to do with anything since bidders are simply supposed to get all giddy and lose all sense of reality and then their wallets when they see The Promise Collection name on the CGC label?  lol  :insane:

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/21/2022 at 7:11 PM, lou_fine said:

Ummmm.................what exactly does the census or grade have to do with anything since bidders are simply supposed to get all giddy and lose all sense of reality and then their wallets when they see The Promise Collection name on the CGC label?  lol  :insane:

It's a great book and a great pedigree, but there are 3 higher and Promise freaks want the highest, or at least second best.

On 12/18/2022 at 8:57 AM, Courageous Cat said:

Perhaps not reasonable in your eyes, but I've seen enough overly generous graded examples on HA to come to that conclusion alone. Perhaps that alone makes me a bit jaded

On 12/18/2022 at 12:06 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Bottom line:  It's a very impressive collection, but one that was over-graded, which unfortunately taints its reputation.

In 110% agreement with your bottom-line assessment as I had also stated the exact same sentiment way back when other boardies here first started to post what they felt were some examples of clearly overgraded copies of the Promise Collection books.  (thumbsu

As I had stated, without a doubt an absolutely gorgeous and one-of-a kind generational GA pedigree that fully deserved absolute top notch grading from CGC, but unfortunately ended up receiving what visually appears to be questionable grading at times which will end up damaging the reputation of this collection going forward.  :(

As for the apparent overgrading of Promise Collection books, as I had also pointed out in some of my previous posts here, although it is much easier to spot overgraded books from just a scan based upon the visual defects, there might POSSIBLY also just be as many examples of undergraded books in the Promise Collection.  It's just that it is virtually impossible to visually spot an undergraded book from just a scan and we would need to have the actual book in hand to grade it correctly.  hm  (shrug)

On 12/21/2022 at 4:11 PM, lou_fine said:
On 12/21/2022 at 4:04 PM, comicnoir said:

3 higher.

On 12/21/2022 at 4:21 PM, comicnoir said:

It's a great book and a great pedigree, but there are 3 higher and Promise freaks want the highest, or at least second best.

Pretty much the same as last time then when it sold for $13,200 as there was 2 higher 8.5's and 3 equivalent 8.0's back then, as opposed to the current 3 higher 8.5's and 2 equivalent 8.0's.  hm  (shrug)

Do I smell a successfully executed CPR which the owner didn't even dare try to do with their Promise Collection copy here?  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/21/2022 at 7:03 PM, lou_fine said:

I can’t tell if it’s over graded but love this issue and doubt this will go much lower than 13k. Would need to see the 8.5’s (and the 7.5 Okajima) and if it’s close to those 13k is actually not bad.

On 12/21/2022 at 6:08 PM, whomerjay said:

I can’t tell if it’s over graded but love this issue and doubt this will go much lower than 13k. Would need to see the 8.5’s (and the 7.5 Okajima) and if it’s close to those 13k is actually not bad.

Ask and ye shall receive, as this is a scan of one of the higher graded CGC 8.5 copies right here:  (thumbsu  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-top-comics-16-fox-features-syndicate-1949-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7212-96075.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F1%2F5%2F8%2F1%2F21581891%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

One of only 2 highest graded copies slabbed to date at the time when sold back in November of 2019 for a much more reasonable $8,700.  :applause:

On 12/22/2022 at 8:57 AM, Straw-Man said:

i have sold a pair of them, in each case i broke out for my cost.   the several raboys i have left weren't terribly expensive, and i don't imagine i'd see a loss if i put them up for sale [other than on this forum; boardies are markedly tight these days].

You certainly can't go wrong holding onto a Raboy cover book and with it also being a Promise Collection copy, I am sure the colors must be blindingly eye-popping with the front covers looking like they just came off the printing press yesterday, regardless of any other visual defects.  :applause:

There’s a ton of Promise books coming up in the March 2023 Heritage auction. 90 listed so far, mostly DC. 
we have furiously pondered how they will fare in “the future”, but this seems like a particularly troublesome market in which to find out. 

76E45365-D47A-4184-B4C3-62EAC4F7AEE4.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 2/22/2023 at 1:05 PM, MasterChief said:

Update!

Current Promise Collection ROI snapshot.

Chart includes data from January closed auctions, plus a new table with sales data broken out in a month-over-month trend.

(Source: Heritage Auctions, Comic Connect (CC), ComicLink (CL), eBay. Data sorted oldest to newest Sale Date)

promise-roi-230223_1x1.thumb.png.5aca4a286d450a749ac8c2bede9e09d6.png
promise-roi-230223_2x1.thumb.gif.244640bf73709659f8c57b87291996ca.gif
promise-roi-230223_3x1.thumb.gif.c9e2de205d3eb86f7da66922fcd9cbc5.gif

mom-promises-sold_230222.png.8b76ae288986737fb62dc0f03bd6c043.png

Great and insightful info MasterChief.  Thanks for your efforts in putting this together.

On 2/22/2023 at 3:02 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Great and insightful info MasterChief.  Thanks for your efforts in putting this together.

Yes indeed, another masterful and informative tracking job done by the MasterChief himself.  :applause:

Besides the obvious sale which they've had on red ink here, the other column which I find rather enlightening, but not surprising at all is the New Grade column.  Out of a total of 78 Promise resales to date so far, there has only been one successful upgrade which works out to a upgrade success rate of only 1.2%. hm

Not sure if this signals the death of the CPR game or if the talk we hear here about buyers sending books back in for CPR is greatly overexaggerated and nothing but talk, or if there was a completely different game in play when it came to the grading of the Promise Collection books?  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/23/2023 at 7:33 AM, lou_fine said:

Not sure if this signals the death of the CPR game or if the talk we hear here about buyers sending books back in for CPR is greatly overexaggerated and nothing but talk, or if there was a completely different game in play when it came to the grading of the Promise Collection books?  (shrug)

The Promise Collection was pressed before grading and the grading, to me at least, seems very generous on some books.  Others, especially some notable very high grade books, seem spot on.  But the low resale prices and failed regrading does seem a cautionary tale. I always thought a bunch of the prices paid made no sense. Hard to believe how quickly some of these resales are occurring given the prices paid.  Does not seem to be a logical business decision ... unless the purchaser had an interest in ramping up prices and viewed any resale troubles as a "loss leader."