• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
16 16

1,591 posts in this topic

On 11/20/2022 at 8:47 AM, batman_fan said:

Read my new book "Flipping for fun and profit losses"

Are you suggesting that based upon @MasterChief's chart and if this same trend continues to hold going forward short term, we should probably change the title of this thread here by simply replacing one word in the title "Post Your Promise Collection Wins"?  hm

And I guess you don't need to be a brain surgeon to figure out which one word this would be?  :(

On 11/20/2022 at 8:51 AM, batman_fan said:

This same thing happened on the Billy books.  Right after they were auctioned they were flipped.  Some got the treatment before flipping.  Most resold at a loss, some a significant drop but now the people that held their Billy books are doing pretty well.

The only problem here is that for most of the Billy books, it took 7 long years and then a pandemic resulting in everybody being locked inside their homes in order to do it.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

So, what will be the catalyst going forward that will rescue some of these Promise books from their sea of red doo doo where they currently seem to be mired deep in?  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/20/2022 at 12:17 PM, buttock said:

Steve Ritter has a few on his website, although they are cracked out and given a higher raw grade.

Well, that's probably because Ritter figures that some pedigree books might just be worth a lot more in raw condition, as opposed to when they are already in certified graded condition. hm

On 11/20/2022 at 12:17 PM, buttock said:

But that does tell me that not every book was maximized before certification.

I would tend to agree with you here, as I am quite sure that Heritage with their experience would know much more about which books would benefit from maximization and which books would probably not. (thumbsu

Unlike some submittors who does not have the same expertise or knowledge and end up simply sending everything in for maximization prior to having them graded.  :facepalm:

On 11/20/2022 at 7:46 AM, Badger said:

All the Promise in these books have been pressed out.

On 11/20/2022 at 10:23 AM, MasterChief said:

I have yet to see a manipulated Promise book post initial sale.

Then again, maybe not and wowza, will wonders never cease since @buttock's post referencing Ritter's website led me to this book here:  hm

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/planet-comics-59-the-promise-collection-pedigree-fiction-house-1949-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7248-93153.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Science Fiction, Planet Comics #59 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Fiction House, 1949) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white to white pages....

This Promise Collection copy sold at Heritage in November of 2021 as CGC 9.4 graded copy for $5,280 and then followed by this sale here:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

https://www.wwcomics.com/comicdetail.asp?Product_ID=PlanetComics_59_44226

http://images.wwcomics.com/images/medium/PlCo_59_96.jpg

Currently showing up in Ritter's WW website as "Sale Pending" at $8,500 with the book now being certified and slabbed as a CGC 9.6 graded copy.  Wish that Ritter website allows you to zoom in so that I can see the serial numbers to see if Ritter had done the CPR treatment on his Promise books or not.  Either way, you gotta give him some credit for having the balls to play the CPR game with his Promise book(s) here, whereas nobody else seems to have so far.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/20/2022 at 11:00 PM, lou_fine said:

The only problem here is that for most of the Billy books, it took 7 long years and then a pandemic resulting in everybody being locked inside their homes in order to do it.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

So, what will be the catalyst going forward that will rescue some of these Promise books from their sea of red doo doo where they currently seem to be mired deep in?  hm  (shrug)

After the nuclear war when people discover GA books are actually quite delicious if cooked properly.

On 11/21/2022 at 12:37 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, that's probably because Ritter figures that some pedigree books might just be worth a lot more in raw condition, as opposed to when they are already in certified graded condition. hm

I would tend to agree with you here, as I am quite sure that Heritage with their experience would know much more about which books would benefit from maximization and which books would probably not. (thumbsu

Unlike some submittors who does not have the same expertise or knowledge and end up simply sending everything in for maximization prior to having them graded.  :facepalm:

It's in Heritage's best interest to not maximize everything.  That leads to repeat sales.  

On 11/21/2022 at 12:41 AM, comicnoir said:

Ritter presses most of his wins. He told me as I bought his cracked out Airboy Vol.4 no.8.

Doesn’t most everybody? Especially if you are going to sell it? I have only done it once. I sent a nice GA Cap to a well respected presser and had it graded. Didn’t really go up all that much.

Now, I am an anomaly, I prefer raw books and don’t sell much. But, if I were to sell some better books, I would press and grade them. Seems stupid not to. 

On 11/21/2022 at 11:57 AM, MasterChief said:

I haven’t been on that site in seven years. Not since I got caught up in his crack, manipulate, resell raw at higher grade program; or his other model of crack and resell raw at higher grade without manipulation.

He’s currently got the largest inventory of Promise books that I’ve seen outside of a Heritage auction. I took a look at the raw books and many were formerly certified. Before and after image comparison reveal those that were obviously manipulated bear appreciable damage such as indented staples, and yet they are assigned higher grades.

Here’s just one example. No sense in showing others, you get the picture. Those that are interested can conducted additional research and draw their own conclusions.

Captain Marvel Jr. #17 CGC 8.0
Heritage Sale: $720.00

Worldwide Grade: VF+ (CGC 8.5)
Price: $1,150.00

Post Manipulation Assessment: Cover wrap twisted upward and to the left revealing interior wraps bottom right, top right. Indented/impacted staple.

CMj-7_8-0_FRONT.thumb.jpg.403d4637fae4269e04c2d2e6eb4145b2.jpgCaptMjr_7_Pro.thumb.jpg.74f7292ba8c27d7805d6cb84cdfd2641.jpg

CMj-7_8-0_impacted-staple.jpg.91bcd62a8fc59b8d3a1aafb8cff38a2f.jpg

The staple looks impacted on the "pre" scan, just angled so that it isn't so obvious.  

On 11/21/2022 at 2:00 PM, lou_fine said:

Apparently there's an Ebola outbreak going on in Africa.

On 11/21/2022 at 12:41 AM, comicnoir said:

Ritter presses most of his wins. He told me as I bought his cracked out Airboy Vol.4 no.8.

Well, really not much of a surprise here considering that Matt was his former business partner in starting up Worldwide and no doubt highly influential in showing Ritter the benefits of pressing.  :flipbait:

On 11/21/2022 at 6:32 AM, buttock said:

It's in Heritage's best interest to not maximize everything.  That leads to repeat sales.  

Although it is definitely in both Heritage's and CGC's modus operandi to generate repeat business on the same book which they have clearly done in the past, it would appear if this was their intention with the Promise Collection books, they have clearly done an absolutely terrible job here when compared to some of the previous collections they've had.  hm  lol

On 11/22/2022 at 7:25 AM, tth2 said:
On 11/20/2022 at 10:00 PM, lou_fine said:

Apparently there's an Ebola outbreak going on in Africa.

Well, I somehow doubt that the general populace in a place like Uganda or the Congo would have our four color treasures very high on their list of shopping necessities.  :sick:

If anything, you would expect the more affluent big spenders locked away in a country like China with Xi's Zero Covid policy in place to be clicking away on their laptops snapping up our four color treasures.  Instead, they seem to be throwing their money towards more traditional stuff like real estate, classical Chinese artworks, high end fine wines, and big dollar fashion designer brands like their LV or Hermes Birkin bags, Miu Miu or Louboutin shoes, but pretty much nada when it comes to American comic books.  :p