• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
16 16

1,590 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, mstrange said:

Got blown out of the water on my top 2 picks but managed to score these 2.

Classic Subby Bill Everett cover and Origin story.

lf (2).jpeg

One of the better Namora GGA covers.

lf (3).jpeg

Cong, one of my Favs of the auction, she and the cover are super

42 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

My Promise win..  Really love the cover to this book :). I got smoked out on a few others I had my eye on.  The big whales just devoured their food, luckily as a mere kelp floating around in the ocean, I managed to get away and snag this copy lol

Law Against Crime #1 CGC 8.5 Promise.jpg

Congratulations, that was my favorite in the 6th round. You were relentless!

2 hours ago, Pantodude said:

I tried clarifying.  I think now I'll do nothing, sit back, and become a legend!   :devil:

It takes a bit more to acquire legendary status with the jaded folks around here.  ...Now if you changed your avatar to the Riddler, your footprint would be forever cemented in CGC's walk of fame. ;)

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I am rewatching the Ed Jaster promo video on the Promise Collection right now.  Probably most of you already know this, but I was surprised to learn the entire run of Cap was discovered, from 1 to 74.  Since we only had, to my knowledge, a 36, a 46 and a 74 in this most recent Heritage auction, there is a TON of Caps still in the pipeline.  I do not believe they have been graded yet.  It may be why many of our boxes to CGC have remained unopened for this last month and a half.

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I am rewatching the Ed Jaster promo video on the Promise Collection right now.  Probably most of you already know this, but I was surprised to learn the entire run of Cap was discovered, from 1 to 74.  Since we only had, to my knowledge, a 36, a 46 and a 74 in this most recent Heritage auction, there is a TON of Caps still in the pipeline.  I do not believe they have been graded yet.  It may be why many of our boxes to CGC have remained unopened for this last month and a half.

I can't speak on the Captain America run but I do recall that Jaster or Allen indicated that the collection was largely comics from 1944 to the beginning of 1951.  My check of the Detective Comics that were up for auction seems to support this.  However, I also heard that there were a few issues prior to 1944 but my impression is that the collector was only a casual collector prior to '44.

31 minutes ago, TheLexLuthorCollection said:

I can't speak on the Captain America run but I do recall that Jaster or Allen indicated that the collection was largely comics from 1944 to the beginning of 1951.  My check of the Detective Comics that were up for auction seems to support this.  However, I also heard that there were a few issues prior to 1944 but my impression is that the collector was only a casual collector prior to '44.

The way I heard it is they said there were gaps from 1940 to 1945, with the notable exception of the complete cap run 1 to 74. I’ll go back and listen again 

yes, large gaps from 1940 to 1945 with the notable exception of the complete Cap run. It’s just past the 6 minute mark

I feel like they had the best All Select and All Winners books, but not all of them

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The way I heard it is they said there were gaps from 1940 to 1945, with the notable exception of the complete cap run 1 to 74. I’ll go back and listen again 

Perhaps it's as simple as the guy being a typical kid at the start of the collection and becoming more sophisticated in his storage and handling, and completeness, as the years went by and he got older.  Also, he probably had more money to spend on comics as he got older.