• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
16 16

1,591 posts in this topic

On 12/10/2022 at 1:28 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I've seen this sentiment expressed before, most recently by @tth2, and I appreciate your gentle, humorous way of expressing disagreement. It was @G.A.tor that told me he knew the Cap 1 purchaser and that he was a crypto guy looking for a place to put his money.  And the timing seems right, to me.  Crypto was flying high at about the time the Promise collection came to market, and as this whole thread has repeated time and again, the prices those books went for were nothing less than insane.   To me it felt like there was all of a sudden more money guys throwing in. 

I hope I'm right, because it means we will start seeing more and more Promise books back on the market.

But you may be right:   we may have met the careless spenders, and it may be us

The cap 1 buyer more of an action figure guy than crypto I think (I had a fair number of crypto buyers so maybe I was confused or rambled lol ). But he did pick up a lot of key books in 2021/22

On 12/11/2022 at 2:28 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 12/11/2022 at 2:18 AM, MrBedrock said:

I think "the crypto guys" are just a boogeyman we made up to excuse the excesses of our friends.

I've seen this sentiment expressed before, most recently by @tth2, and I appreciate your gentle, humorous way of expressing disagreement. It was @G.A.tor that told me he knew the Cap 1 purchaser and that he was a crypto guy looking for a place to put his money.  And the timing seems right, to me.  Crypto was flying high at about the time the Promise collection came to market, and as this whole thread has repeated time and again, the prices those books went for were nothing less than insane.   To me it felt like there was all of a sudden more money guys throwing in. 

I hope I'm right, because it means we will start seeing more and more Promise books back on the market.

But you may be right:   we may have met the careless spenders, and it may be us

I do believe some crypto money came into the market, but for books like AF 15, Action 1, Tec 27, Batman 1, IH 181, TMNT 1 and yes, Captain America 1.

I don't believe it came in for niche books like LB Cole covers, GGA or mid-run mainstream titles, let alone the many esoteric books in the Promise collection.  Why would it?  It just doesn't make sense to me.  If I suddenly came into several hundred million and wanted to buy some car I'd always dreamed about owning, but being totally unknowledgeable about cars, I'd buy something that most of the public would know because that's the only way that I'd know it, not some rare car that only hardcore car collectors would appreciate.  

On 12/10/2022 at 8:52 PM, tth2 said:

Particularly if one of my goals was to financially diversify.  Then I'd want to make sure I was buying assets that were liquid.

Then wouldn't you invest in a soft drink or beer company, or maybe a distillery or even a water treatment plant?

On 12/10/2022 at 6:46 PM, tth2 said:

I do believe some crypto money came into the market, but for books like AF 15, Action 1, Tec 27, Batman 1, IH 181, TMNT 1 and yes, Captain America 1.

I don't believe it came in for niche books like LB Cole covers, GGA or mid-run mainstream titles, let alone the many esoteric books in the Promise collection.  Why would it?  It just doesn't make sense to me.  If I suddenly came into several hundred million and wanted to buy some car I'd always dreamed about owning, but being totally unknowledgeable about cars, I'd buy something that most of the public would know because that's the only way that I'd know it, not some rare car that only hardcore car collectors would appreciate.  

It is true but before crypto Cap #1 was one the best GA buys out there, for years on this board I have placed my highest recommendation on a purchase and before and after I still maintain  that is a very underpriced GA Key. I have been cautioning purchasers of the Promise to hold...I cannot deny what is going on with the disaster resales, similar to other quick resales on HA of major GA collections...this is to be expected. What was not expected was the Crypto crash and interest rates shooting up like rocket on home and auto and credit card purchases. The Fed  wants assets to decrease in value..and they have the power to do so...Promise books...any GA comic books are gonna feel the effects of this economic takedown. It just so happens at the very economic height of our economy the promise books hit....wow take about great timing. If you own promise books and do not have to sell,in my opinion they are a  GREAT  long term 5 plus year hold....if you cannot then God help you!!!!

PS Ha today is auctioning 67 promise books, all non-cgc graded so the collection is still being sold...

Edited by Mmehdy

On 12/10/2022 at 10:18 AM, MrBedrock said:

I think "the crypto guys" are just a boogeyman we made up to excuse the excesses of our friends.

Exactly, why would YOU want to be known as one of those know nothing "crypto guys" when you are really one of our cherished and knowledgeable boardie friends here.  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/12/2022 at 7:43 AM, buttock said:

I'm kind of an alchemist.  I get people to change liquids into solids.  It's worth more than gold.

:eek:

I just read that the FDA recently approved the transfer of one person's solids into another person.  Am I sitting on a gold mine now?

On 12/12/2022 at 7:59 AM, tth2 said:

:eek:

I just read that the FDA recently approved the transfer of one person's solids into another person.  Am I sitting on a gold mine now?

You were until Covid hit.  Now it's all shut down :cry:

On 12/11/2022 at 3:37 PM, buttock said:
On 12/11/2022 at 3:29 PM, tth2 said:

What if you wanted more solid assets? 

That's my realm

On 12/11/2022 at 3:43 PM, buttock said:

I'm kind of an alchemist.  I get people to change liquids into solids.  It's worth more than gold.

Any truth to the rumors that although your better half is not at all sure about your ability to turn things into gold, she really loves your ability to turn your assets from placid soft to rock hard?  :blush:  lol

:idea: I am going to work diligently to make phrases like "You are so full of solids", "Solids-for-brains", and "No Solids Sherlock" a part of the regular conversation around here! :idea: