• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
16 16

1,590 posts in this topic

On 12/6/2022 at 1:41 PM, MasterChief said:

Group of Timely’s up for auction later this month at Heritage...

timely_group_heritage_dec-2022.thumb.png.30605faf15164e5c71401e5d7cf47034.png

Since these are all Promise Collection retreads trying for a second go round, does this mean we are going to see even more red ink on @MasterChief's updated chart next time or will we finally see a tingle of green in the Promise sea of red?  hm

My leaning is towards a big fat NO since the consignor here is trying to do this without even attempting a hopeful CPR upgrade on any of these books here.  It's definitely going to be tough for the consignor to find another bidder willing to bid more than the $4,560 for the CGC 6.5 Promise copy of Marvel Mystery 91 or even better yet, the $9.6K which he had paid for the CGC 6.5 Promise copy of Cap 31 and this is even before factoring in the Heritage auction fees.  doh!  :tonofbricks:

On 12/13/2022 at 1:59 AM, lou_fine said:

Since these are all Promise Collection retreads trying for a second go round, does this mean we are going to see even more red ink on @MasterChief's updated chart next time or will we finally see a tingle of green in the Promise sea of red?  hm

My leaning is towards a big fat NO since the consignor here is trying to do this without even attempting a hopeful CPR upgrade on any of these books here.  It's definitely going to be tough for the consignor to find another bidder willing to bid more than the $4,560 for the CGC 6.5 Promise copy of Marvel Mystery 91 or even better yet, the $9.6K which he had paid for the CGC 6.5 Promise copy of Cap 31 and this is even before factoring in the Heritage auction fees.  doh!  :tonofbricks:

There Will Be Red Ink. Promise books originally sold during a time of great prosperity (insanity?) , plus they were hyped the likes of which...........I got nothing but you know what I mean. Probably going to be a few years yet until they will almost all be green, then watch out........ Ah , we all know this anyway.

I really came to say Cap 31 what a great cover. I might even go as far to say it's the best Shomburg cover of the series other than #3. A nice 5.5 just sold on CL for 5,330 https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2022nov%26session%3D1%26pg%3D4%23Item_1628322&id=1628322&itemType=0

Edited by Professor K

On 12/15/2022 at 2:56 AM, Professor K said:

I really came to say Cap 31 what a great cover. I might even go as far to say it's the best Shomburg cover of the series other than #3. A nice 5.5 just sold on CL for 5,330 https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2022nov%26session%3D1%26pg%3D4%23Item_1628322&id=1628322&itemType=0

That's an absolutely gorgeous front cover copy of Cap 31 relative to the assigned CGC 5.5 condition grade.  :luhv:

So gorgeous in fact that it made me wonder why it got such a low grade relative to its appearance and I guess this is where a back cover scan would have helped, as per the Graders Notes:  :p

moderate piece reattached with tape left top of back cover

On 12/15/2022 at 10:52 AM, lou_fine said:

That's an absolutely gorgeous front cover copy of Cap 31 relative to the assigned CGC 5.5 condition grade.  :luhv:

So gorgeous in fact that it made me wonder why it got such a low grade relative to its appearance and I guess this is where a back cover scan would have helped, as per the Graders Notes:  :p

moderate piece reattached with tape left top of back cover

Oh! I was going to say assuming the back cover was ok. As much as I like the folks there, they really need to start providing back cover scans. Hope the buyer knew about this, if not they're gonna be like

giphy.gif

35 more promise books coming up for aucton this week on Ha, it look like only one CGC graded a Captain Marvel...would now be the time buy while the collection is down...probably to its last 100 books? Could be deals here!

Edited by Mmehdy

On 12/15/2022 at 6:01 PM, Mmehdy said:

35 more promise books coming up for aucton this week on Ha, it look like only one CGC graded a Captain Marvel...would now be the time buy while the collection is down...probably to its last 100 books? Could be deals here!

Only deals to be had here is if you are the type of collector willing to pay big time top dollars for the Promise name on unforgettable books like late run issues of Big Shot Comics, Nyoka the Jungle Girl, or Sparkler Comics.  (shrug)  :p

As for the graded Promise copy of Captain Marvel 45, as recent history has shown us in @MasterChief's masterfully crafted chart below, this second go round for the Cap 45 will most likely turn out to be a much better deal for the winner this time as compared to the winner "loser" who ended up paying $2,160 on its first go round earlier this year:  :(

On 11/19/2022 at 4:20 PM, MasterChief said:

Update!

Current Promise Collection ROI snapshot.

Chart includes recent reselling of Sub-Mariner Comics #32 and Terry-Toons Comics #38.

(Source: Heritage Auctions. Data sorted by oldest to newest Sale Date)

promise-roi-221119.thumb.png.82d72fada2264849a7f50b94c9995ac7.png

On 12/16/2022 at 5:18 PM, lou_fine said:

Only deals to be had here is if you are the type of collector willing to pay big time top dollars for the Promise name on unforgettable books like late run issues of Big Shot Comics, Nyoka the Jungle Girl, or Sparkler Comics.  (shrug)  :p

As for the graded Promise copy of Captain Marvel 45, as recent history has shown us in @MasterChief's masterfully crafted chart below, this second go round for the Cap 45 will most likely turn out to be a much better deal for the winner this time as compared to the winner "loser" who ended up paying $2,160 on its first go round earlier this year:  :(

Some of the prices paid the first time around were ridiculous. I laughed out loud when I saw that someone had paid $21,000 for a copy of Saddle Justice #6. I actually laughed so hard that I had to wipe the tears from my eyes just now.

When I look on Heritage, though, it lists the book as "Not Sold," so I guess the buyer backed out.

SJ6.PNG

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 12/18/2022 at 10:16 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Some of the prices paid the first time around were ridiculous. I laughed out loud when I saw that someone had paid $21,000 for a copy of Saddle Justice #6. I actually laughed so hard that I had to wipe the tears from my eyes just now.

When I look on Heritage, though, it lists the book as "Not Sold," so I guess the buyer backed out.

SJ6.PNG

I am proud and happy to say I never once succumbed to the promise hype and have zero examples in my possession. Yes and the majority are nice examples, but I'd take a mile high or Billy Wright any day of the week before I bought one of these embellished funny books 

On 12/18/2022 at 7:41 AM, Courageous Cat said:

I am proud and happy to say I never once succumbed to the promise hype and have zero examples in my possession. Yes and the majority are nice examples, but I'd take a mile high or Billy Wright any day of the week before I bought one of these embellished funny books 

MH yes over promise, Billy Wright...no way

On 12/18/2022 at 8:41 AM, Courageous Cat said:

So you've never seen one in person, but feel confident enough to make a blanket decision.  Seems perfectly reasonable. 

On 12/18/2022 at 11:15 AM, buttock said:

So you've never seen one in person, but feel confident enough to make a blanket decision.  Seems perfectly reasonable. 

Perhaps not reasonable in your eyes, but I've seen enough overly generous graded examples on HA to come to that conclusion alone. Perhaps that alone makes me a bit jaded

On 12/18/2022 at 11:57 AM, Courageous Cat said:

Perhaps not reasonable in your eyes, but I've seen enough overly generous graded examples on HA to come to that conclusion alone. Perhaps that alone makes me a bit jaded

Having looked at hundreds of scans, I've only seen a few high-grade books for which I agree with the grade (based on the front-cover scans). Most of the high-grade books appear to be over-graded by about three increments. The mid-grade books don't seem to have gotten as big of a bump. Other pedigrees have enjoyed soft grading, too—a pedigree bump is nothing new—but CGC outdid themselves with these books.

I wanted some examples for my collection, so I went ahead and bought a few of them despite the high prices and soft grading. I'm not in a hurry to pick up any more.