• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UNKNOWN Comics Excuses

9 posts in this topic

Hi New poster here.

I don't know if I'm being unreasonable here but I am quite upset with UNKNOWN Comics.

Back in April I ordered 3 Star Wars: The High Republic #5 exclusive covers. I liked the fact that they have a buy 2 get one free deal. I thought it would be nice to get them for $20.00 a piece instead of the normal $30.00. They arrived the other day and I was uploading them to my Collectorz account. I wanted to scan the bar code so I had to take them out of their bags and boards. When I opened one I found significant color rub on the back. I scanned the books and sent them an email. Their response follows:

Unknown Comics (UnknownComicBooks)
Jun 24, 2021, 4:32 PM CDT

Hello,
Thank you for reaching out. We have reviewed the pictures and determined the condition to be within our 9.2 condition guarantee range. Black and red ink has a tendency to dry slower than other colors so they are often subject to color rub from the printers. You can review our grading guide below. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

We only guarantee 9.2 condition on raw books unless otherwise stated in the product description. Split corners on over-sized books (like Wolverine #1) are standard defects. Printer rub on dark covers is also standard. For more printer defect examples click here. Below is the grading guide we use from Comics Price Guide.

NEAR MINT / NEAR MINT- GRADES
NEAR MINT : 9.4
NEAR MINT- : 9.2
This book is an excellent copy with great eye appeal.

It is vibrant and clean with supple pages.
The spine may have a couple of very small stress lines at the most 1/4 inch the surface color around the line must not be noticeably broken.
The spine is almost completely flat.
The cover is relatively flat with almost no surface wear and the cover inks are generally bright with medium to high reflectivity.
The staples may show some discoloration, but it's not too noticeable on first glance.
The inside pages and covers usually will be off-white to white, but can be creamy or slightly yellowish.

For immediate issues please contact us through Facebook Messenger @UnknownComicBooks or call us at (806) 290-1308.

Hours of operation are Mon-Fri from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm Central Standard Time.
Unknown Comics Team

Now I know that they can't and won't guarantee a 9.8 but when you sell a brand new book for $30.00 I think that having such blatant damage is wrong. Needless to say I won't be buying any more go their books. I have had similar issues with other companies that were willing to replace the books. They aren't.

Here's one example:

HighRepublic5_2 - 1.jpeg

It's certainly not a good looking book, but it might be in the 9.2 range. Marvel has done a terrible job at the print run for a lot of these exclusives. Seems like a lot of these have had similar issues that I've seen.

I have no love for Unknown comics and wont do business with them anymore for a problem I had a few years
ago.

That being said expecting a perfect book is luck. No where on that website do they state they hand pick their 
books and those color scrapes I would grade it at around 9.0 to 9.2 as long as no other defects. The book is still
perfect just has production issues. . At least to me they look like color scrapes from printing. 

I suggest you find websites that state they hand pick copies or sell on NM. Otherwise this will happen again to you with
other sites I think.

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I have no love for Unknown comics and wont do business with them anymore for a problem I had a few years
ago.

That being said expecting a perfect book is luck. No where on that website do they state they hand pick their 
books and those color scrapes I would grade it at around 9.0 to 9.2 as long as no other defects. The book is still
perfect just has production issues. . At least to me they look like color scrapes from printing. 

I suggest you find websites that state they hand pick copies or sell on NM. Otherwise this will happen again to you with
other sites I think.

The problem with Unknown is that, even if it was an 8.0, they would still claim it appears to be a 9.2. Their customer service is non existent.  I ordered with them for years because they do a ton of Anacleto exclusives and that's one of the main reasons I still collect. 

I ordered from them wholesale and for every 10 copies of a cover, I would get 1 or 2 9.8s raws. This was acceptable to me.

The first time I had a problem and complained,  they cancelled all my existing pre orders and banned me.

They rarely acknowledge mistakes, don't respond to emails, and have no loyalty to their customers.

11 hours ago, I like pie said:
13 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

ago.

other sites I think.

Expand  

The problem with Unknown is that, even if it was an 8.0, they would still claim it appears to be a 9.2. Their customer service is non existent.  I ordered with them for years because they do a ton of Anacleto exclusives and that's one of the main reasons I still collect. 

I ordered from them wholesale and for every 10 copies of a cover, I would get 1 or 2 9.8s raws. This was acceptable to me.

The first time I had a problem and complained,  they cancelled all my existing pre orders and banned me.

They rarely acknowledge mistakes, don't respond to emails, and have no loyalty to their customers.

As said above I am no fan of the company.

That being said your argument is separate from the one above I was discussing.