• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Budd Root Cavewoman splash page

8 posts in this topic

Awesome Splash!

At one point, I had 70 or so Budd Root Cavewoman pieces. I’m down to my last 3. 

At this point, I think he only does a cover here and there for his books. Devon M., Connie V. and other artists do covers and all the interiors. Back in the day, it was all Budd.

Edited by Timely

On 6/26/2021 at 7:48 AM, Hal Turner said:

Congratulations on a lovely splash. Budd seems to be doing fewer and fewer stories these days, so his really good pages are becoming more and more expensive. You found a beaut.

I'm a huge Budd fan, and was blown away by the page (and auction result). 

I wish Budd would do auctions again (he did for a short time years ago), so he could get in on those profits.  Or even a kickstarter, which might be a possibility. 

Everything he works on now is arranged by his rep, so that art is presold (as pinups or covers) to his commissioners.
I keep hoping someone commissions a new story from him, so fans can see new interior work.

Edited by Catwoman_Fan

The auction result for this piece was stunning, even knowing how difficult it has become to find Budd Root art of this quality. His work is spectacular, but he's really slow and therefore doesn't often take the time to produce this level of detail anymore. I started collecting his art in 2003 or 2004, and it's probably been 6 - 7 years since I've found anything worth buying. On the plus side, a few of my pieces were used as cover art long after I acquired them.

I think Pangaean Sea #11 was the last time Budd did interior art, and that was 2009. Even at the height of Cavewoman's popularity, the days of Caliber Comics in the 1990's, other artists/writers put out Cavewoman books. Devon Massey's work (art and story) in that timeframe was far superior to what he's doing now in my opinion. I'd love to see Budd do another Cavewoman series, but it seems very unlikely at this point.