• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WRONG COVER!
1 1

28 posts in this topic

I recently came across what I thought was a D.D. Teens Issue #16 (based on the cover). However, I was surprised to see that the inside pages were for Conan the Barbarian #203. Everything appears to be original and the staples don’t look like they were tampered with either. 

Does this happen often? 

thanks. 

7017E1C3-34F2-461B-9FCA-E7E8F2A841AD.jpeg

C823261E-93ED-4076-BB91-147AE7F44E1B.jpeg

It’s not unheard of, though obviously rare

inthink some had a book with insides and cover that aren’t even the same brand

Edited by revat

8 hours ago, Louieg2 said:

Does this happen often? 

Every once in a while, yes. The covers are printed separately to the interiors, so you can see how it could go wrong on the odd occasion - here's an old Spidey of mine with Thor inside:

2016340891_241Thor332Interior.thumb.jpg.994f44d7e55c4b1447b6a3cbc98c9188.jpg

Welcome To The Boards!!!

Bindery defects do happen.

Luckily that is a low dollar book and can be easily replaced with a correct copy, buy another copy and keep that one as a "unique" issue and enjoy them both.

My F.F Annual #1 (1963) (given to me as a gift in the early 90's) had pages 1 - 24 placed in the book twice, the complete cover story is 38 pages, pages 25 - 38 were omitted and pages 1-24 were put in its place.

Now you are making me wonder...

If the book is supposed to be 72 pages but 1 -24 were put in twice that would add an additional 3 full pages, is something else missing?

Here are pics of the book, the last pic is from F.F Annual 8 which reprints F.F. Annual 1 and you can see page 25 as it should have been.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

20 minutes ago, Sky1 said:

So would a Conan fan want this or a fan of D7 Teens?

The person who would pay the most would be an oddity collector rather than either of your choices.

Some people collect multiple covers and other uncommon mistakes.

2 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Welcome To The Boards!!!

Bindery defects do happen.

Luckily that is a low dollar book and can be easily replaced with a correct copy, buy another copy and keep that one as a "unique" issue and enjoy them both.

My F.F Annual #1 (1963) (given to me as a gift in the early 90's) had pages 1 - 24 placed in the book twice, the complete cover story is 38 pages, pages 25 - 38 were omitted and pages 1-24 were put in its place.

Now you are making me wonder...

If the book is supposed to be 72 pages but 1 -24 were put in twice that would add an additional 3 full pages, is something else missing?

Here are pics of the book, the last pic is from F.F Annual 8 which reprints F.F. Annual 1 and you can see page 25 as it should have been.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (4).jpg

Cool error...AND the poster child as to why one should always go through books at shows page by page...

20 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Cool error...AND the poster child as to why one should always go through books at shows page by page...

This is true, however...

Hard to believe but I was not as smart/wise/knowledgeable 30 years ago as I am today...:whatthe:  

(I was in my mid 30's at the time, now if I were still in my early 20's I would have known everything like all 20 year old's do, ask my oldest Grandson...:roflmao: :wink:)

The book was a Christmas gift, the person who bought it for me was not knowledgeable about comics, probably had to do a lot of running around to the 6-7 LCS's in the area looking for any of the books on my list and possibly had to make several trips back and forth, I probably did not even look through it at the time and even if I did see it I would not have said anything about it as that would have hurt her feelings, I was just ecstatic :banana: to have a copy, any copy, :cloud9: remember there was no internet, books were harder to find back then, and when you found that treasure you scooped it up , also there was no eBay/PayPal buyer protection, what were comic shop policies in the late 80's/early 90's? ???

And that my friends is the story of my F.F. Annual #1, Luckily I have 44 years of the F.F. on DVD so I can read the story in its entirety whenever I want to, wait..., my laptop does not have a disc drive...:(  :facepalm:  Thanks For Listening.  (thumbsu

3 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

This is true, however...

Hard to believe but I was not as smart/wise/knowledgeable 30 years ago as I am today...:whatthe:  

(I was in my mid 30's at the time, now if I were still in my early 20's I would have known everything like all 20 year old's do, ask my oldest Grandson...:roflmao: :wink:)

The book was a Christmas gift, the person who bought it for me was not knowledgeable about comics, probably had to do a lot of running around to the 6-7 LCS's in the area looking for any of the books on my list and possibly had to make several trips back and forth, I probably did not even look through it at the time and even if I did see it I would not have said anything about it as that would have hurt her feelings, I was just ecstatic :banana: to have a copy, any copy, :cloud9: remember there was no internet, books were harder to find back then, and when you found that treasure you scooped it up , also there was no eBay/PayPal buyer protection, what were comic shop policies in the late 80's/early 90's? ???

And that my friends is the story of my F.F. Annual #1, Luckily I have 44 years of the F.F. on DVD so I can read the story in its entirety whenever I want to, wait..., my laptop does not have a disc drive...:(  :facepalm:  Thanks For Listening.  (thumbsu

I get it.

It just amazed me back in the old days when we had comic book conventions and shows, how many buyers I would see buy books WITHOUT opening the bag to look at the insides.

Many a time have I opened books at shows and gone through them page by page only to find writing; scribbling; moustaches; clipped coupons/panels; etc etc.  The sellers clearly never looked at the book

5 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

The book was a Christmas gift, the person who bought it for me was not knowledgeable about comics, probably had to do a lot of running around to the 6-7 LCS's in the area looking for any of the books on my list and possibly had to make several trips back and forth, I probably did not even look through it at the time and even if I did see it I would not have said anything about it as that would have hurt her feelings

Are you still in touch with a person like this?  Great story btw.

17 hours ago, Sky1 said:

Are you still in touch with a person like this?  Great story btw.

No, it was a former girlfriend that I have not seen since 1995.

Being a Grandfather I am filled with great stories that I will tell you over and over again, many of them start with..."Back In My Day", or "Have I Ever Told You?"...

My Son has "CRS" (Can't Remember S**t) so my stories are always new to him.

I know I am late to the party but did you notice the cover was from 1987 and the Conan insert was from 1988 one year later?  Both in February but a year later. I would not think they would have a cover laying around for a year. Just my thoughts.  

When I had my first shop, a kid who was a regular customer returned a book he had just purchased. I forget the issue numbers but it was a Hulk cover with a Marvel Team-up issue inside. I'd never seen anything like this so the first thing I did was check all the other Hulks to see if they were like that. Since they weren't, I gave the kid a new copy, called my distributor and got a forty cent credit, and threw the book away.  It was a few years before I learned there was value to misprints and double covers.

While I have about 100 multiple cover books, and a dozen or so books with major printing errors, I have found very fw in the wild and paid premiums for the rest.