• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WRONG COVER!
1 1

28 posts in this topic

On 10/21/2021 at 10:28 PM, Sgtmjwilson said:

I know I am late to the party but did you notice the cover was from 1987 and the Conan insert was from 1988 one year later?  Both in February but a year later. I would not think they would have a cover laying around for a year. Just my thoughts.  

So, how do you explain it???? lol

On 10/21/2021 at 8:28 PM, Sgtmjwilson said:

I know I am late to the party but did you notice the cover was from 1987 and the Conan insert was from 1988 one year later?  Both in February but a year later. I would not think they would have a cover laying around for a year. Just my thoughts.  

This one, I can answer.  The book was dated Feb 1988 but came out months earlier, so the actual copyright date you're seeing in the corner box was 1987.  They actually were released the same month.  Mike's Amazing World shows them both releasing on October 20, 1987.

Definitely a cool oddity

However as someone who would pay more for a double or multiple cover, I would never pay more for something like this. Maybe that is just my sentiment and there probably is a collector of unique defects who would pay more. The question is how much....5 times? 10? Curious to know

On 11/22/2021 at 10:20 PM, Pangolin said:

What CGC will do in a case like this? Imagine a Hulk 181 with the cover of ASM 138...

Past experiance shows they might not even notice it.  There is a thread from a few years ago where Metropolis sold a book that had an entirely different comic inside. 

Lets say it was a Batman 176 but had Action 214 inside.  The buyer was a member and made a thread about it. Metro took it back and submitted it to CGC. A few months later, it was a blue label Batman 176 with no mention of the wrong interior. 

I made up the issue numbers but the rest is accurate.  It's actually an easy mistake to make when your only job is to count pages

On 11/23/2021 at 2:30 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Definitely a cool oddity

However as someone who would pay more for a double or multiple cover, I would never pay more for something like this. Maybe that is just my sentiment and there probably is a collector of unique defects who would pay more. The question is how much....5 times? 10? Curious to know

Unlike stamps, coins and cards, there is so much going on in making a comic that many flaws (some unique, some less so) are possible and what is always worth more is how little flaws there are. Hence why even a 9.9 is so close to unobtainable depending the issue (compared to sports cards, where you can buy a 10.0 for $10).

I've seen many posts of people asking for a premium for uncommon defects, but I never heard of people willing to pay those prices.

And the double cover is a very different scenario, which ties back to what I wrote earlier about getting the least flawed copy. With a double cover, you have an added protection to that inner cover, meaning it is more intact and better preserved than other comics out there. It's a unique defect which deals with giving the book a better condition.