• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Cho Reading

23 posts in this topic

Wait, comics can be read? 

Especially w/ the pandemic, I'm sure people had more time to read than ever before. 

Curious what you read. 

Less interested in the new weeklies, more so "older" moderns.  

Patrick

Currently reading: 

1) Mutant X - I've heard about this series forever and always wanted to check it out.  Conceptually sounded fun.  Got the opportunity for cheap when a boardee sold me the series.  I'm only thru the first 7-8, but it's not very good so far.   The Beast, aka the Brute, is really not a good character (scared and semi-moronic version of Beast).  Hoping it gets better, but not likely. 

2) Secret Empire - I didn't give this a chance when the series came out.  Seemed like a super stupid idea.  By other reviews, I'm not the only one.  I bought a set for dirt cheap.  Though it was definitely not good, it was interesting enough.  The artwork was actually quite good.  Just hard to care about a story when you know that Cap will go back to his normal self before the series even started.  I did enjoy how they separated a number of the powerhouses thru a bunch of different means (Strange w/ the Darkhold, Capt Marvel in space via a shield, etc).   Basically an elaborate What If. 

Patrick 

clean.jpg

clean (1).jpg

Secret Empire is one of those storylines that passed me by whilst I was out of collecting new comics for a number of years. Sounds like it's not too bad if you can find it cheap enough as a one off.

I've been re-reading mostly 90's related event storylines again. Got myself Vol 2 of the Spidey Clone Saga Omnibus, so much goodness (or trash depending on your view)!

I'm trying to pick up the new release of Batman:No Mans Land and the Death Of Superman omnibus 3rd printing (the black cover version). Such a nice looking book but annoyingly it's very highly priced as it went of print very quickly. I've read the original Death storyline but never continued with the Return element so I fancy reading it all in one go.

I never bothered with Mutant X after Howard Mackie drove X-Factor into the ground. He completely wasted the talents of Jeff Matsuda and just straight up killed the book. Horrible writer. People blame the Image guys as the worst of the 90's, I blame Mackie. 

I added quite a few reading books over the course of the pandemic.  I'm current working my way through Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol but prior to that and I binged Saga, Y the Last Man, Paper Girls, Monstress, Sweet Tooth, Black Hammer, Snyder and Capullo Batman, Dark Knight Returns, Alan Moore Swamp Thing (Vol 1-3) and Chew.

I'm just about to start reading the end of DeFalco/Ryan run Fantastic Four, via a mix of single issues and trade paperbacks(oh I'm sorry: Epic Collections). Just gonna be whatever I find first. 

I'll probably just do the leadup issues to 400,then just finish the run out til 414 or 416, whichever it was. 

It's such a shame the book got to this point. I actually enjoyed both creator's work on the book, so I don't know why they had a constant Sword Of Damocles over their whole run. 

12 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I never bothered with Mutant X after Howard Mackie drove X-Factor into the ground. He completely wasted the talents of Jeff Matsuda and just straight up killed the book. Horrible writer. People blame the Image guys as the worst of the 90's, I blame Mackie. 

Totally agree on Matsuda.  I loved his X-Factor art.  Wonder what that guy is up to now. 

Patrick

9 hours ago, LudaToke said:

I added quite a few reading books over the course of the pandemic.  I'm current working my way through Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol but prior to that and I binged Saga, Y the Last Man, Paper Girls, Monstress, Sweet Tooth, Black Hammer, Snyder and Capullo Batman, Dark Knight Returns, Alan Moore Swamp Thing (Vol 1-3) and Chew.

Luka, 

What did you think of each read you listed?  Even a thumbs up/down would work. 

For me: 

Saga = Huge thumbs up

Y: Last Man  = Huge thumbs up

Paper Girls = Really enjoyed this book. 

Monstress & Sweet Tooth = Haven't read yet, curious on your thoughts.

Capullo Batman = Interesting enough

Dark Knight Returns = Old school goodness

Alan Moore Swamp Thing = So good, so good. 

Chew = Another huge thumbs up.  Thought it was faltering a little toward the end, but I like how they wrapped it up. 

I have not read much of Morrison's Doom Patrol. 

Patrick

2 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Luka, 

What did you think of each read you listed?  Even a thumbs up/down would work. 

For me: 

Saga = Huge thumbs up

Y: Last Man  = Huge thumbs up

Paper Girls = Really enjoyed this book. 

Monstress & Sweet Tooth = Haven't read yet, curious on your thoughts.

Capullo Batman = Interesting enough

Dark Knight Returns = Old school goodness

Alan Moore Swamp Thing = So good, so good. 

Chew = Another huge thumbs up.  Thought it was faltering a little toward the end, but I like how they wrapped it up. 

I have not read much of Morrison's Doom Patrol. 

Patrick

Saga - I went into this completely blind and simply purchased it because it seem to always come up on lists of best comics to read.  I was not disappointed at all.  It felt like a guilty pleasure, a graphic soap opera novel.  I'm excited for it to come back but 1 issue a month will seem like a tease.

Y: Las Man - Loved it.  The covers on it are absolutely amazing.  It will be interesting to see the TV adaptation. I don't know who the actor is they have for Yorick but that would be a tough role to cast because it varies between funny and serious so they need range.

Paper Girls - I read Vol 1 on my own.  I then ready Vol 1 and 2 with my kids.  Volume 3 (the finale) is going down next week while we are camping.  My kids and I watch Stranger Things so they are right interested in this one.

Monstress - I purchased Vol 1 of the large library edition (first 32 issues) and it is gorgeous.  The story builds a large universe with a lot going on, kind of like Game of Thrones.

Sweet Tooth - I really love it.  Jeff Lemire is Canadian so you have to root for the home town guy.  The comic is much darker that the TV show.  The art is spooky.  I have only watched the first 2 episodes of the TV show but it didn't hook me like the book

Capullo Batman - Court of the Owls and Death of the Family were worth the read.  Entertaining

Dark Knight Returns - This was something else. I purchased a SS 9.4 of issue 2 after I finished reading it because that Batman is unlike anything else I have ever seen.

Alan Moore Swamp Thing - There were several parts when reading the first 3 volumes where I would stop and read it again just to admire the writing.  The way he describes how discarded newspapers and garbage look in the swamp is poetic

Chew - Definitely one of the most creative comics I have ever read in terms of an original idea. I haven't ever read/seen anything like this and enjoyed the entire series

Doom Patrol - The covers on this are unreal.  It is Doom Patrol so its crazy and far out there but great if you are looking for something different.  I'm half way through the Omnibus and a lot of the ideas for the TV show were borrowed from this run.

8 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Totally agree on Matsuda.  I loved his X-Factor art.  Wonder what that guy is up to now. 

Patrick

Last I heard he'd started the studio with a few other creators (I think Joe Casey might have been one?) that made the children's show Ben 10, which has been a pretty huge thing, running for years. 

2 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Last I heard he'd started the studio with a few other creators (I think Joe Casey might have been one?) that made the children's show Ben 10, which has been a pretty huge thing, running for years. 

I don't think he is in the Ben 10 group, is he?

8 minutes ago, Bird said:

I don't think he is in the Ben 10 group, is he?

No, you're right. My bad. 

On 6/30/2021 at 10:06 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I'm just about to start reading the end of DeFalco/Ryan run Fantastic Four, via a mix of single issues and trade paperbacks(oh I'm sorry: Epic Collections). Just gonna be whatever I find first. 

I'll probably just do the leadup issues to 400,then just finish the run out til 414 or 416, whichever it was. 

It's such a shame the book got to this point. I actually enjoyed both creator's work on the book, so I don't know why they had a constant Sword Of Damocles over their whole run. 

The problems are showing. Any main character other than Ben has dialogue that is pretty interchangeable, and some of the stories aren't the best, and are quickly forgotten, despite being lifechangers for the world, because we've already been slungshot onto the next plot, with very little (usually no) breathing room. 

Paul Ryan's art is still the saving grace to me. It's perfection, but I see how people didn't like it in the Image Era. To me it's heavenly. We've already got a few figures of his costumes over the years (1994 FF Reed included a very Ryan Jacket, Hasbro's first ML wave Sue costume was from #387) and with the upcoming retro wave featuring the blue and white, I'd love to get a whole Paul Ryan wave in his honour. 

I'd been talking with him about getting an FF commission, but sadly, I drug it out too long, figuring I'd get it done down the track, and then he sadly passed away. I know a lot of people don't like his art because it's not terribly dynamic, but I love it. To me it's very classic, and very Marvel. Perfect for the Fantastic Four. But I'm biased, as I grew up on this run. 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

Done with the DeFalco/Ryan run, and the 2 issue Waid/Pacheco Onslaught tie-in, taking me to Heroes Return (I decided to skip Heroes Reborn for now). The first 3 issues of it are some of my favourite FF comics ever, Lobdell's not a great writer, but he knew how to handle the Four here, and what to say about Alan Davis with Mark Farmer on inks? Perfection. And to top it off we get Liquid's gorgeous colours. Fantastic stuff (pun intended). 

Issue 4 is an odd beast. You can feel the budget cuts/rushed nature/the fact that something ain't right. I love Larocca's art from this period, but I'm not fond of Art Thibert handling his inks, and the colours are a definite downgrade here, for this larger issue. It's also coplotted by Claremont, as he prepares to come aboard. Come issue 5 things at least look a lot better again with the beautiful Liquid! colours, setting the standard for the book. Amazing what a difference that makes in this new era for Marvel. It also seems to help smooth out the inks somewhat, making them more palatable. And onward we go! 

I started reading comics not a long time ago, and from all the variety I saw online, I chose The Sandman. Pretty interesting comics to read. Also, a few days ago, I came across Hawkeye, and it's also pretty exciting. I have a list of comics I want to read, but for now, I don't have enough time because of my studies. For example, some time ago, I needed to write on self-analysis, and it took me four days to finish it. I managed to Find more info online on that topic, which was helpful, but still, I spent so much time on it. And when I read comics, I don't want to think about some deadlines or things I have to do. So I hope that soon I'll be able to read more often.

Edited by SamuelCollings