• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis Is On Board-CGC Guarantee

51 posts in this topic

Steve, Well done. May I also ask what Metropolis's policy reagarding unrestored raw books that I might buy and send into CGC to be graded? Meaning, if the book is returned to me by CGC 4 months after I purchase the book am I eligible to return the book to Metropolis for a full refund including grading charges?

Metropolis has AWAYS given customers a complete guarantee on any and all books that are determined to have been restored that were not listed as such. We will now take the further step of extending this to CGC product as well. Any book, sold in an unrestored CGC holder by Metropolis, that is later determined by CGC to actually contain restoration not discovered in the previous certification, will be fully refundable. This policy will be retroactive to any CGC books sold by Metropolis in the past. No if and or buts.

We understand that the comic market's faith has been shaken with regard to CGC product. We look at this as a first step in a series of steps in restoring that confidence.

Stephen Fishler

Metropolis

www.metropoliscomics.com

Ok, similar to my crtique of the CGC response statement I'll give this one a shot.

<cricket's chirping>

<cricket's chirping>

In the last sentence he used the singular form for 'if' and 'and' then the plural for 'buts'. stooges.gif

I think every dealer and CGC would do themselves a favor a recite Mr. Fishler's statement over and over in their head unitl they adopt it verbatim.

We understand that the comic market's faith has been shaken with regard to CGC product. We look at this as a first step in a series of steps in restoring that confidence. That statement alone makes me want to buy a book off Metro ASAP. Talk about cutting through the BS. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

If the book makes no mention of any type of restoration and it comes back from CGC in a PURPLE holder, the book can be returned up to 100 years from the original date of purchase.

Hey, wait a minute... isn't CGC going to a BLUE label for restored books? insane.gif

If the book makes no mention of any type of restoration and it comes back from CGC in a purple holder, the book can be returned up to 100 years from the original date of purchase.

Stephen Fishler

www.metropoliscomics.com

Stephen

How about a book that is purchased from Metropolis as say, a CGC 9.2, and re-submitted to CGC for a shot at 9.4 that then comes back as restored ?

While I applaud dealers like Stephen and Josh who have modified their refund policy on CGC books, I do have to ask what sort of steps they are taking to open up the provenance history of suspect books. It sounds like the only way to obtain a refund from these dealers is to identify a potentially unlabeled restored book, send it in to CGC, and get a "second opinion." But how is one to find which books in their collection are suspect? The only dealer I've seen thus far who has offered to proactively help in the search for Ewert-suspect books has been Doug.

Also, is CGC the only entity allowed to perform this second, "guaranteeing" restoration check? If one sends a book to Matt or Susan or Tracey (or FFB, for that matter -- that boy's got madd resto skillz!), how golden is their word? Bear in mind that the book will more than likely have to be cracked to be vetted properly.

Questions, questions, questions ....

Alan

Then I think your issues would be better taken up with CGC.

So if CGC have missed a Ewert trim job a year ago, but spot it when I re-submit the book for a higher grade the refund is void ? confused.gif

Maybe we should let Metro answer this question instead of speaking for them.

Personally though, if it were me, I'd say "Tough luck, buddy." You crack the slab prior to submission for recertification, you void the certification and lose the guarantee. What if I want my money back on a book that I bought from Metro? Under your scenario, all I have to do is crack the slab, trim a sliver off the edge, and voila, money back.

Of course, for all I know, Stephen will now say "No problem, we'll still refund you." cloud9.gif

You know this one is the reason why it is very difficult to be a dealer.

I will also go along with Comiclink, Metropolis and Paradise comics lead in having this return policy in place.

But when I see a post like this I'm wondering if maybe we are opening ourselves up to potential fraud based on the scenario of what Scott's talking about.

Do we need to put all this legal mumbo jumbo in there stating that a before scan be sent, we verify against a scan (Hopefully we have one) to prove that we really sold it to you, the after scan is compared to the before scan so that we can verify that you weren't the trimmer or color toucher before we refund your money?

Do we need to put all this legal mumbo jumbo in there stating that a before scan be sent, we verify against a scan (Hopefully we have one) to prove that we really sold it to you, the after scan is compared to the before scan so that we can verify that you weren't the trimmer or color toucher before we refund your money?

Legal mumbo jumbo is the way to go...otherwise every jackmunch with buyer's regret will be slicing off an edge or two and sending it back your way for a refund foreheadslap.gif

If I were a dealer, I'd limit the refunds to the books that CGC is covering: Jason Ewert submissions, past nine months, must still be in slabs, and resent in to CGC for 2nd look.

I guess all you slab cracking fools are f'd... sorry.gif

You crack the slab prior to submission for recertification, you void the certification and lose the guarantee.

Who said anything about cracking the slab ? I buy a CGC 9.2 from Metropolis, it looks undergraded so I send it in for recertification, CGC crack the slab and re-grade it and it comes back restored. Turns out their stricter controls have picked up on a trimmed book they previously missed. Am I covered ? makepoint.gif

Firstly, I applaud you for also coming out with a full-returns policy. 893applaud-thumb.gif

But why whinge about the legal implications ? Surely it's in everyone's interest to go over the different scenarios here and now, rather than have a load of 893censored-thumb.gif 6 months from now when a real book is involved ?

You crack the slab prior to submission for recertification, you void the certification and lose the guarantee.

Who said anything about cracking the slab ? I buy a CGC 9.2 from Metropolis, it looks undergraded so I send it in for recertification, CGC crack the slab and re-grade it and it comes back restored. Turns out their stricter controls have picked up on a trimmed book they previously missed. Am I covered ? makepoint.gif

I would think that would qualify for a refund. For all the dealer knows, maybe you just sent the book back to CGC because you weren't sure about their resto check.

I was just ASSuming you'd crack it yourself. confused-smiley-013.gif