• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 194- The Latest ASM Issue Blowing Up?
2 2

251 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2022 at 11:21 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

For a while I didn't notice the yellow corner because I couldn't take my eyes off the impossibly unrealistic reflection in that sword blade.

It’s a mind bender for sure.  Still a childhood fave.

Aparo:cloud9:

Great Batman artist.  Even better Aquaman artist 

On 11/10/2022 at 10:08 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I think buyers might simply be getting more picky about QP.   Much like ASM 100, this book just looks so much better without white showing.  Black covers deserve that respect:sumo:

Would you rather have this 9.8 or 3 nicely centered 9.6s?hm

I went shopping for a nice X-MEN 140 ( fave x-book ) last night.  That book has a 3:1 value ratio for 9.8/9.6

Thought about grabbing a 3-pack of 9.6s and browsed a bit.  Not being an investment book but one for my PC....I went with a single 9.8

I kinda regret not going the 9.6 multiple route already.  There’s a certain joy that multiples bring :cloud9:

On 11/10/2022 at 10:44 PM, MAR1979 said:

^ With rare exceptions I do not like custom labels and many others feel same way.  The wrap I feel is pretty decent but some feel very strongly about a perfect one which probably also held back some bids. Thing is earlier this year it still would have hit 4.5K regardless.   I still expect something in the way of dead cat bounces (get it :) ) but I think on the whole new lows will continue to be tested for at least the next year. 

Those looking to pick up a 9.6 may be in very good shape in the short and mid-term,with longer term also being possible, as those prices drop.

It was complete pandemonium': the towns grappling with bear attacks |  Wildlife | The Guardian

On 11/10/2022 at 9:18 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Well this just happened, I think we are nearing a slump, maybe the 11K layoff at Meta is causing woes for some buyers?

@THE_BEYONDER

B933BAB5-77F4-4ECA-B6C7-85B3E9C6F9B3.jpeg

On 11/20/2022 at 11:12 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

All time low, not just a C-Link slump

B156E683-8C5D-4C0D-9F90-842339FC2145.jpeg

On 11/21/2022 at 10:04 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Nicely centered

White pages

But I'm sure there's something I'm missing that will explain away this low result....hm

Does direct/newsstand matter at all for this time era?

$197 premium for the thin white line and custom label it seems. :baiting::foryou:

For a while I didn't notice the yellow corner because I couldn't take my eyes off the impossibly unrealistic reflection in that sword blade.

Ok so a guy dressed up as a Bat trying to fight 2 guys with swords is realistic but the reflection isn't? 

There is a mirror behind the person holding the knife.

That is my story and I'm sticking with it.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
Ok, we can call it a sword.

On 11/20/2022 at 11:12 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

All time low, not just a C-Link slump

B156E683-8C5D-4C0D-9F90-842339FC2145.jpeg

Not much to explain away here. Just Economics 101 in play.

9.6's, 9.4's and lower Direct Sale 194's taking larger hits on ROI's if book was purchased in 2020 or 2021.  Those who purchased direct sales copies at 1.2K + for 9.4  and over 2k+ for  194 are no longer doing "OK" on the book.  Lowering my stabilization target spread on 194 direct sale 9.8's over the next 12 months from 2.5k to $1500-$1900

Lesson to be learned here folks perhaps as simple as beware of bubbles or never purchase a book for the collection when it's red hot...? 

During the pandemic bubble, Investors/Flippers/Speculators were buying just books like this and selling them for a profit.  Nearly every Non-DC book was viewed as a sure thing.  Online "influencers"  ,Speculators, and CGC Board Thread CGC Board Sellers, were all downplaying that books like ASM 194 could EVER go down.  Skilled Comic book (and Economically Knowledgeable) market naysayers were scoffed at because times were good.  There was no such thing as overpaying for a book because prices rose and there was no end in sight. How could the sky be falling when everything was rising in value? ENTER THE BEAR!

P.S. I do expect some dead-cat bounces at auctions. Likely manipulated by  sellers holding multiples of 194 however that is poor strategy in bear market.  Throw out your GPA as Bubble numbers from 2020-early 2022 are meaningless when the Bear has burst it. Think books like Direct Sale ASM 194 and 300 can't drop to below 2020 levels? I've no idea, but the final say belongs to the Bear.

Please note Newsstand Edition sales can be irrational. Although one would expect them to follow Direct Sale prices in similar linear percentages downward they can deviate. Thus my post above does NOT refer to Newsstand 194's.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/22/2022 at 3:27 PM, PeterPark said:

194 direct is much harder to find than the newsstand version.

A decent wrap and registration on this book is actually the hardest thing to find

On 11/29/2022 at 11:11 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

A few more.

image.thumb.png.5ea1639822c33e248c3348f9983ea250.png

2.7k is ow/w however also a newsstand, the past 2 years newsstand did neutralized ow/w compared to w, but no longer on this book. 

ASM194 fraying at the seems is underway. There will be blips and dead (Black) Cat bounces but its 10-16 month march down to 2-2.2K is in progress. If not for the pandemic bubble is probably where it should have been all along. Most certainly not at 5K which the first post in this thread gleefully celebrated.

On 6/29/2021 at 5:53 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Yup.

:ohnoez: :headbang:

'Bout damn time.  

-J.

Screenshot_20210629-145243_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/29/2022 at 8:49 AM, MAR1979 said:

2.7k is ow/w however also a newsstand, the past 2 years newsstand did neutralized ow/w compared to w, but no longer on this book. 

ASM194 fraying at the seems is underway. There will be blips and dead (Black) Cat bounces but its 10-16 month march down to 2-2.2K is in progress. If not for the pandemic bubble is probably where it should have been all along. Most certainly not at 5K which the first post in this thread gleefully celebrated.

Tipping nearly 500 copies in 9.8. I think it was a pandemic buy for most. I think it should settle in the mid 2K range.

On 11/29/2022 at 8:49 AM, MAR1979 said:

"Newsstand" has never been a "thing" on this book, and if you believe a hobby wide break down in prices is something to take a victory lap over on this one book, which incidentally is still holding quite well compared to most other books from its era, then I have a bridge to sell ya. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 11/29/2022 at 1:27 PM, Jaydogrules said:

"Newsstand" has never been a "thing" on this book, and if you believe a hobby wide break down in prices is something to take a victory lap over this one book, which incidentally is still holding quite well compared to most other books from its era, then I have a bridge to sell ya. 

-J.

"holding quite well compared to most other books from its era"

examples please

Edited by MAR1979

The argument went from is the book a good investment or good ROI at $5000? at $4000? at $3000, which now can be answered with a definitive NO, to the book is only bleeding slowly not hemorrhaging like others. Still 194 is bleeding and that has not abated. Newsstands in 9.8 as I predicted would be $2500 or less this summer.

Newsstands in 9.8w now selling for same or less as direct sale did late last year. :headbang:

image.thumb.png.3251a7f00f71c5dd5ab28177748debfe.png

Next prediction; in 6 months time under $2000 will be the 9.8 norm for newsstands and under $1600 for Direct Sale.  If regular auction could see even larger surprises.

I do feel bad for those who paid $1k+ for 9.4's or $1.5k+ for 9.6's :( ... Never buy a book when hot is almost always best advice. FOMO is seriously bad mojo

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/9/2023 at 11:34 AM, fishbone said:

not all-time low if you paid 40 cents back in the day .... always winning !  :yeehaw:

What does it mean when there is a black marker line thru the UPC code? Like in the picture you sent of that link

On 8/20/2023 at 2:59 PM, kmfbaloo said:

What does it mean when there is a black marker line thru the UPC code? Like in the picture you sent of that link

Price in Diamond and line through Barcode indicates Direct Sale for Marvel Books cover dated June 1979 until they employed the Spidey face in UPC less then a year later.