• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 194- The Latest ASM Issue Blowing Up?
2 2

251 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2022 at 11:28 AM, MAR1979 said:

Am I not permitted to offer a counter-point or opposite opinion from the hyperbole presented in this thread?

Others post over and over in this thread about price jumps,  am I not permitted to mention price drops?

I did error earlier on and post similar 194 comments in other threads, I will keep them here where they belong.

What counter point are you making?  You are so against the current valuation of this book to the point of being rabid.

you’ve beaten the dead horse 10 times over and now you’re grasping at straws to show a slowdown in sales for this books.

Nobody on this thread has gone to the extreme lengths that you have in order to sway, cajole or bore people to death about your views about this book.  

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 2/20/2022 at 12:29 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

What counter point are you making?  You are so against the current valuation of this book to the point of being rabid.

you’ve beaten the dead horse 10 times over and now you’re grasping at straws to show a slowdown in sales for this books.

Now beaten ad-infinitum; :deadhorse:

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/20/2022 at 12:47 PM, sledgehammer said:

So, just curious.

How long has this "yellow next to the CCA in the Marvel banner" been a thing people are hunting?

I see an 8.0 sold for $1,800+, and it looks like that may have been why a 9.0 went above $2,500 recently, but I'm not positive.

That does explain that sale. Kind of distracting to my eyes, but those type of collectors over such stuff can be rabid

I don't see it noted at https://recalledcomics.com.  I'm curious if the black ink smudges in the corner box/piece go hand in hand with what may be a simple printing defect.

I now leave you folks to run and inspect your copies for what may be yellow striped gold.

Image 1 - Amazing Spider-Man #194 CGC 8.0 1st Black Cat Marvel Comics White Pages 1979

Edited by MAR1979

I think the yellow is due to who ever did the stripping for making the printing plates missing a piece.  My understanding is that they could stop the run in process and fix it, which is why some copies would have the yellow and others don't.

To be clear, I don't personally advocate for this kind of thing, but an argument could be made that the yellow stripe copies are "early print run" books.  2c

There's also a 6.0 sale on GPA that is about double normal price, on the same day as the 8.0 sold.

I don't know how many of the auction sites list previous sales that are on GPA

January 16th.

Then on January 30th, the $2,500 "9.0" sale.

Apparently, only the 8.0 was  on Ebay.

Just curious when people first noticed this variation.

ASM 194 9.8 Direct Sales now a mere $2  away from testing a downwards breach of 4k level.  Even with continued market manipulation attempting to fight the future I will not be surprised if by years end the Direct Sales version it dips its toes below 3.2k end of the pool.  Those who purchased Direct Sales ASM194 9.0,9.4,9.6 at market highs may be taking ROI losses as 2023 approaches.  It appears the irrational market ending for this book is firmly in progress.

image.thumb.png.b2aa390e668da4b6e064122948db0dec.png

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/4/2022 at 9:34 AM, MAR1979 said:

ASM 194 9.8 Direct Sales now a mere $2  away from testing a downwards breach of 4k level.  Even with continued market manipulation attempting to fight the future I will not be surprised if by years end the Direct Sales version it dips its toes below 3.2k end of the pool.  Those who purchased Direct Sales ASM194 9.0,9.4,9.6 at market highs may be taking ROI losses as 2023 approaches.  It appears the irrational market ending for this book is firmly in progress.

Irrespective of the non-existent difference in pricing in this book between "direct" and "newsstand",(because there isn't any)  I guess this book still isn't "crashing" the way you hoped it would after all (despite many other bronze age books falling all around it).  (shrug)

-J.

Screenshot_20220716-155854_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 7/4/2022 at 9:34 AM, MAR1979 said:

Irrespective of the non-existent difference in pricing in this book between "direct" and "newsstand",(because there isn't any)  I guess this book still isn't "crashing" the way you hoped it would after all (despite many other bronze age books falling all around it).  (shrug)

-J.

On 7/16/2022 at 6:02 PM, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

Screenshot_20220716-155854_Samsung Internet.jpg

Earlier in this thread when it started to drop below $5k, you claimed it was an outlier.  Now, a single copy sells for $4500 and you proclaim it's out performing the rest of the market.  I'm not sure you understand how markets work very well and what is a long term trend vs. a short term blip.  

As of today, there are over 500 copies in 9.8 on the census and I guarantee there are many hundreds more that aren't certified.  This isn't a scarce book even in 9.8.  If you want one, copies abound on eBay right now.  It's being propped up by dealers and speculators that have piles of it, which I'm guessing you do.  If I'm wrong and you don't have multiple copies of this book, feel free to correct me.

On 7/16/2022 at 7:08 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Earlier in this thread when it started to drop below $5k, you claimed it was an outlier.  Now, a single copy sells for $4500 and you proclaim it's out performing the rest of the market.  I'm not sure you understand how markets work very well and what is a long term trend vs. a short term blip.  

As of today, there are over 500 copies in 9.8 on the census and I guarantee there are many hundreds more that aren't certified.  This isn't a scarce book even in 9.8.  If you want one, copies abound on eBay right now.  It's being propped up by dealers and speculators that have piles of it, which I'm guessing you do.  If I'm wrong and you don't have multiple copies of this book, feel free to correct me.

I stopped reading your post when you proclaimed that "a single copy" sold for $4500.   meh

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Predictably not much action last 2 months as flippers-dealers-speculators are too scared to offer 9.8's at regular auction. Instead they cling to cognitive dissonance and are asking near bubble high Buy-It-Now prices. Sooner or later more will be auctioned and except for outliers (probably in form of manipulative shilling) downward trend will commence.   One thing is clear the book does not have "unlimited upwards trajectory" and most of the rubes who were stung buying it for ~5k may be less willing to get burned again?

image.thumb.png.c655cc8e9e6b589c34fab8977b53f021.png

I do wonder which is more likley one year from now 5K or 2.5K? My bet is much closer to the latter. Still decent if purchased years back although less so with inflation but if one's intention was to sell not hold then window is closed on largest ROI's

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/6/2022 at 1:38 PM, MAR1979 said:

Predictably not much action last 2 months as flippers-dealers-speculators are too scared to offer 9.8's at regular auction. Instead they cling to cognitive dissonance and are asking near bubble high Buy-It-Now prices. Sooner or later more will be auctioned and except for outliers (probably in form of manipulative shilling) downward trend will commence.   One thing is clear the book does not have "unlimited upwards trajectory" and most of the rubes who were stung buying it for ~5k may be less willing to get burned again?

image.thumb.png.c655cc8e9e6b589c34fab8977b53f021.png

I do wonder which is more likley one year from now 5K or 2.5K? My bet is much closer to the latter. Still decent if purchased years back although less so with inflation but if one's intention was to sell not hold then window is closed on largest ROI's

Census to cost still doesn't add up for me. Too many in 9.8 to pay 4K.

It's the same with X-Men 129, they hover at high BIN prices with the last sale in Sept. of $3,200. I think CC had one at $3,200 a day or so ago.

Dealers are holding out at high BIN prices waiting for a sale. Once GPA adjusts for some of these recent sales, they will have to accept a lower price. Or just sit on the books.

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

On 11/7/2022 at 8:23 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Census to cost still doesn't add up for me. Too many in 9.8 to pay 4K.

It's the same with X-Men 129, they hover at high BIN prices with the last sale in Sept. of $3,200. I think CC had one at $3,200 a day or so ago.

Dealers are holding out at high BIN prices waiting for a sale. Once GPA adjusts for some of these recent sales, they will have to accept a lower price. Or just sit on the books.

Every time I've mentioned supply as a concern, particularly with ASM #300, someone will pop up to say "tHerE's aS MucH dEmanD aS sUPplY" ... but I suspect what that really means is that there are people out there willing to buy dozens if not hundreds of copies of the same book.  I can't get my head around why that would be a good idea, seems like a sure-fire way to get hurt bad, but there are definitely people doing this.