• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 194- The Latest ASM Issue Blowing Up?
2 2

251 posts in this topic

On 11/8/2022 at 5:33 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

So the last sale of a 9.8 is about 4K, and 9.6 just over $1K.  If I was going to spend 4K on this book, I’d buy 4 9.6s 

A wise move. The more wise move would be to wait 2-6 months and purchase 7-8 for 4k. 

While this issue has not suffered as badly as others the question to ask is that due to it being "bedrock" or is "delayed effect". My guess is closer to latter than former.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/9/2022 at 11:00 AM, MAR1979 said:

A wise move. The more mise move would be to wait 2-6 months and purchase 6-8 for 4k. 

While this issue has not suffered as badly as others the question to ask is that due to it being "bedrock" or is "delayed effect". My guess is closer to latter than former.

Well this just happened, I think we are nearing a slump, maybe the 11K layoff at Meta is causing woes for some buyers?

@THE_BEYONDER

B933BAB5-77F4-4ECA-B6C7-85B3E9C6F9B3.jpeg

On 11/10/2022 at 9:18 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Well this just happened, I think we are nearing a slump, maybe the 11K layoff at Meta is causing woes for some buyers?

@THE_BEYONDER

B933BAB5-77F4-4ECA-B6C7-85B3E9C6F9B3.jpeg

I think buyers might simply be getting more picky about QP.   Much like ASM 100, this book just looks so much better without white showing.  Black covers deserve that respect:sumo:

Would you rather have this 9.8 or 3 nicely centered 9.6s?hm

I went shopping for a nice X-MEN 140 ( fave x-book ) last night.  That book has a 3:1 value ratio for 9.8/9.6

Thought about grabbing a 3-pack of 9.6s and browsed a bit.  Not being an investment book but one for my PC....I went with a single 9.8

I kinda regret not going the 9.6 multiple route already.  There’s a certain joy that multiples bring :cloud9:

On 11/10/2022 at 8:08 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I think buyers might simply be getting more picky about QP.   Much like ASM 100, this book just looks so much better without white showing.  Black covers deserve that respect:sumo:

Would you rather have this 9.8 or 3 nicely centered 9.6s?hm

I went shopping for a nice X-MEN 140 ( fave x-book ) last night.  That book has a 3:1 value ratio for 9.8/9.6

Thought about grabbing a 3-pack of 9.6s and browsed a bit.  Not being an investment book but one for my PC....I went with a single 9.8

I kinda regret not going the 9.6 multiple route already.  There’s a certain joy that multiples bring :cloud9:

It’s not that bad looking. $1,000 more for no white stripe is a big jump. I am a picky collector, 9.8 it has to be for me :banana:

X 140 is a nice one, love that cover

^ With rare exceptions I do not like custom labels and many others feel same way.  The wrap I feel is pretty decent but some feel very strongly about a perfect one which probably also held back some bids. Thing is earlier this year it still would have hit 4.5K regardless.   I still expect something in the way of dead cat bounces (get it :) ) but I think on the whole new lows will continue to be tested for at least the next year. 

Those looking to pick up a 9.6 may be in very good shape in the short and mid-term,with longer term also being possible, as those prices drop.

It was complete pandemonium': the towns grappling with bear attacks |  Wildlife | The Guardian

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/20/2022 at 8:12 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

All time low, not just a C-Link slump

B156E683-8C5D-4C0D-9F90-842339FC2145.jpeg

Nicely centered

White pages

But I'm sure there's something I'm missing that will explain away this low result....hm

Does direct/newsstand matter at all for this time era?

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 11/21/2022 at 7:04 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Nicely centered

White pages

But I'm sure there's something I'm missing that will explain away this low result....hm

Does direct/newsstand matter at all for this time era?

Supposedly Direct edition is more rare.

On 11/21/2022 at 10:47 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Supposedly Direct edition is more rare.

There are others who know more than I do about this, but my understanding is that the relative scarcity changed dramatically over time.  ASM #194 is actually the very first issue in the ASM run to feature the diamond-shaped price and diagonal line through the bar code that distinguished the direct edition.  At that time, the direct editions were rarer than newsstand.  Over time, as direct sales came to dominate, this pattern reversed.  Newsstand editions of later books are much more rare.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

If anyone is curious, The yellow stripe in the upper right hand side is due to a cracked printing plate (Red Plate- Red and Yellow makes Orange)  If the printing plate isn't sitting properly on the plate cylinder cause it was put on incorrectly, eventually as the press run, the plate will crack and a piece will fly off as it did here, they are only made of thin aluminum. Then when copies get out the door, people that don't know any better, pay thousands for them  

Edited by Kevin76

On 11/21/2022 at 12:25 PM, Kevin76 said:

If anyone is curious, The yellow stripe in the upper right hand side is due to a cracked printing plate (Red Plate- Red and Yellow makes Orange)  If the printing plate isn't sitting properly on the plate cylinder cause it was put on incorrectly, eventually as the press run, the plate will crack and a piece will fly off as it did here, they are only made of thin aluminum. Then when copies get out the door, people that don't know any better, pay thousands for them  

Which book are we talking about?  I scrutinized the copy a couple of posts above this and I wasn't seeing anything unusual.

On 11/21/2022 at 1:49 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Which book are we talking about?  I scrutinized the copy a couple of posts above this and I wasn't seeing anything unusual.

Go back a page to February 20th.

People pay a ridiculous premium for a small patch of yellow color at the right corner end of the Marvel Comics banner at the top