• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 194- The Latest ASM Issue Blowing Up?
2 2

251 posts in this topic

On 11/14/2021 at 5:55 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Not sure on this issue, prices are all over the map in 9.8. It's a great time to sell.

If investing, I'd probably consider $3,500 to $3,800 as max I would pay in this market.

461 in 9.8, it's not a rare book in my opinion.

BC.jpeg

The 3800 is a low outlier, as the immediate subsequent two sales demonstrate.  Book has been trending up for months now.   

-J.

On 11/14/2021 at 8:38 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

But, what if prices cool? Would you be a happy buyer at $5,500?

Of course not.  But a first appearance of a character with a rapidly growing fanbase in the core ASM run is about as bulletproof as you can get.  Prices will ebb and flow no but what's the long term trend looking like.  

-J.

On 11/14/2021 at 8:41 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Of course not.  But a first appearance of a character with a rapidly growing fanbase in the core ASM run is about as bulletproof as you can get.  Prices will ebb and flow no but what's the long term trend looking like.  

-J.

If it ever cools down, I think it's a ~$3,000 book. I think 195 is an underrated book. Origin and 2nd appearance.

On 11/14/2021 at 11:48 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

If it ever cools down, I think it's a ~$3,000 book. I think 195 is an underrated book. Origin and 2nd appearance.

It will, It's not  Hulk 181 or GS X-Men 1 , 2 prime examples of books that have not cooled down in 4 decades.

Even ASM 300 has started to chill recently compared to July-mid Oct time-frame. Venom is still in film which is first run playing in some parts of the globe. Who in gen pop has ever heard or cares about "The Black Cat"? While that could change there will be no more 2x-3x% growth for 194 it's certainly not a 10k or 15k book. More likley headed down as you said to 2-3k in 9.8.

194 is nice book but if you are seller, sell now as it climbs towards it's apex. If you are collector I'd bet you can get a 9.6 sometime in the next 2 years for what 9.2 (or 9.0) might cost in the shorter-term.

As for 195 it's hardly been noticed in comparison. At current levels it's probably still OK to jump in for a high grader

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/14/2021 at 8:48 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

It might be testing its limits at $6‐7k, but I don't see it going below ~$4k, if it does cool off at some point.  Black cat hasn't even had her big screen debut yet but she has been teased.  

-J.

On 11/14/2021 at 9:07 PM, Catwomancomics said:
On 11/14/2021 at 7:57 PM, MAR1979 said:

Similar to #135 and possibly even more "busy". I'm not fan of the design of that type of layout.

I was thinking more like #199.

I didn't think of the similarities before, but your right, I always wondered why it hadn't caught on!

That makes sense though....

On 11/14/2021 at 8:55 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Not sure on this issue, prices are all over the map in 9.8. It's a great time to sell.

If investing, I'd probably consider $3,500 to $3,800 as max I would pay in this market.

461 in 9.8, it's not a rare book in my opinion.

BC.jpeg

461 is not a lot, In the sportscard world, 461 PSA 10s is considered scarce

On 11/14/2021 at 12:15 PM, MAR1979 said:

It will, It's not  Hulk 181 or GS X-Men 1 , 2 prime examples of books that have not cooled down in 4 decades.

Even ASM 300 has started to chill recently compared to July-mid Oct time-frame. Venom is still in film which is first run playing in some parts of the globe. Who in gen pop has ever heard or cares about "The Black Cat"? While that could change there will be no more 2x-3x% growth for 194 it's certainly not a 10k or 15k book. More likley headed down as you said to 2-3k in 9.8.

194 is nice book but if you are seller, sell now as it climbs towards it's apex. If you are collector I'd bet you can get a 9.6 sometime in the next 2 years for what 9.2 (or 9.0) might cost in the shorter-term.

As for 195 it's hardly been noticed in comparison. At current levels it's probably still OK to jump in for a high grader

You'd be surprised at how many books have climbed to 10-15K status when no one thought it would, no one can predict what will take off and what won't

Edited by Kevin76

On 11/14/2021 at 10:40 PM, Kevin76 said:

You'd be surprised at how many books have climbed to 10-15K status when no one thought it would, no one can predict what will take off and what won't

This book would never hit that mark in 9.8. Venom is way more popular than this character. Special Marvel 15 barely hit 18K with his own movie in theaters. ~Scarce numbers in the census for that.

On 11/15/2021 at 9:01 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

This book would never hit that mark in 9.8. Venom is way more popular than this character. Special Marvel 15 barely hit 18K with his own movie in theaters. ~Scarce numbers in the census for that.

BigLeagueChew that sums it up nicely. I might also add "Black Cat" is merely a Catwoman-lite analog. My guess is those who are $eeing $'s or have "invested" $'s will comment with the most Venom (pun intended)

I don't sell Comics so to me regardless of their going market rate is it makes no difference to me. Since I picked up 90% of my Comics prior to 2000, having mostly left the hobby for Original Comic Art,  I don't need to justify recent Comic Book expenditures - other than sending them in for grading :) 

Time will tell and I believe time is very much on my side in this case. Now to dig my 194 and 195 out to have graded xD

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/15/2021 at 1:37 AM, Kevin76 said:

461 is not a lot, In the sportscard world, 461 PSA 10s is considered scarce

Different hobbies and Sports cards have probably a minimum of 100 times the collector base.  Still, apologies, 461 is not considered scarce.  Even PSA10 population 50-100 is not considered scarce  in fact if it's a pre-1980 card it's considered somewhat high-ish. 

Cards are graded so much more harshly than comic books.  Applies to oranges here but a CGC 9.8 if a card is roughly equivalent to PSA 8. How many comics would grade 9.8 if judged using 8-10x magnification ?   NO we don't want comics graded like stupid cards. 

Now 461 for CGC 9.8 of a 1979 book that is a rather high number and growing. While a market or in this case an item can remain irrational longer than most can remain solvent ,supply and demand will always win out. Time will sort it all out. Fast acting flippers aside, smart folks do not purchase when item is cresting they are already casting net and buying low on the next potentially hot thing

Edited by MAR1979

Let’s take a look at this in a different way.

ASM is the most collected back issue title of all time.  Spidey back issues reign as king of the Silver Age and well into the Bronze Age (dethroned by the Claremont/Byrne X-Men run, I believe).

so, with perpetual demand spanning decades, I’m surprised this book isn’t MORE expensive than it is currently.

oh, and another point…given it’s print run, 461 copies in 9.8 is not a big number.  Quite the opposite.

Edited by jjonahjameson11

Only time will tell who is correct. How about a monthly check-in here with GPA or similar data?

ASM and X-Men are probably the most collected back issues of all-time. ASM had more 1960's-80's published issues, so yes it likley edges out X-Men. But don't minimize X-Men demand for 1975-1990 back-issues it would on the whole likley exceed ASM...?

Question of day: If Sandman 8 (1989) with a CGC 9.8 population = 289, was Marvel book, would it command 6-8K?

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/15/2021 at 11:21 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

And for the sake of transparency, I have 3 copies of ASM 194 and I am not selling.  

I am not hyping it, pumping it up only to dump it, etc.

I just feel that ASM books from this era, in very high demand for decades, could (should?) be selling for even more than present prices.

Does posting here hype values ? I'm curious. While I've been here almost 5 years I really have not payed attention for most of them :)

The only reason for my flurry of posts the last few months is I acquired a large Charged Coupled Device scanner for imaging slabs.  Works great on OCA as well. Scanning area is 12" × 17". For those interested: https://plustek.com/us/products/flatbed-scanners/opticpro-a320e/spec.php

Edited by MAR1979