• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 194- The Latest ASM Issue Blowing Up?
2 2

251 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2021 at 11:06 AM, MAR1979 said:

Only time will tell who is correct. How about a monthly check-in here with GPA or similar data?

ASM and X-Men are probably the most collected back issues of all-time. ASM had more 1960's-80's published issues, so yes it likley edges out X-Men. But don't minimize X-Men demand for 1975-1990 back-issues it would on the whole likley exceed ASM...?

Question of day: If Sandman 8 (1989) with a CGC 9.8 population = 289, was Marvel book, would it command 6-8K?

In response to your question of the day, no, I don’t think it would hit the numbers you’ve cited because it doesn’t have the same audience.  Nor does that audience care as much if they owned the original comic book appearance vs TPB.

On 11/14/2021 at 8:22 AM, Jaydogrules said:

The 3800 is a low outlier, as the immediate subsequent two sales demonstrate.  Book has been trending up for months now.   

-J.

Just ended, 2nd one around 4ish 

B0699A7C-EDE4-426F-B17D-89998A73B99D.jpeg

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

On 11/21/2021 at 11:07 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Just ended, 2nd one around 4ish 

B0699A7C-EDE4-426F-B17D-89998A73B99D.jpeg

Not a fan of custom labels personally. They distract my eyes from the comic, and seem "hokey". Not sure in most cases if they are selling point, especially on 4 figure books..  Although I will say 238 with the custom 238 label for me is an exception and one day next year I'm sure I'll get mine back from CGC... First book I ever submitted that I will have pressed.

How many 194 at $3800-$4000k for them not to be outliers? Perhaps the shift to the next hot ASM already in progress?

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/22/2021 at 11:03 AM, MAR1979 said:

Not a fan of custom labels personally. They distract my eyes from the comic, and seem "hokey". Not sure in most cases if they are selling point, especially on 4 figure books..  Although I will say 238 with the custom 238 label for me is an exception and one day next year I'm sure I'll get mine back from CGC... First book I ever submitted that I will have pressed.

How many 194 at $3800-$4000k for them not to be outliers? Perhaps the shift to the next hot ASM already in progress?

238 label is awesome, not going to lie. It could be the label and OW/W as the killer. As I mention to JJ, if sellers are not getting what they want, it will turn into BIN sales eventually.

On 11/22/2021 at 2:03 PM, MAR1979 said:

Not a fan of custom labels personally. They distract my eyes from the comic, and seem "hokey". Not sure in most cases if they are selling point, especially on 4 figure books.. 

Preach ... I have literally submitted gimmick label books to be reholdered.

On 11/22/2021 at 11:03 AM, MAR1979 said:

hm

I don't know. I was pointing out recent FRESH GPA all time highs for the book.  

You are aware that it is all green arrows across the board for the book on there, right?

Or do you think the odd lower end sales of $4k still aren't impressive despite the fact that the book was barely breaking 2k in a 9.8 earlier in the year ? (shrug)

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 11/24/2021 at 12:03 PM, Jaydogrules said:

hm

I don't know. I was pointing out recent FRESH GPA all time highs for the book.  

You are aware that it is all green arrows across the board for the book on there, right?

Or do you think the odd lower end sales of $4k still aren't impressive despite the fact that the book was barely breaking 2k in a 9.8 earlier in the year ? (shrug)

-J.

5K may have been high water mark, if down to 4k, 3.5k may be next.  Yes, quite an increase from a year ago but not thinking it will hold on to majority of those gains. Only time will tell.

P.S. It was mentioned earlier that the Direct sale edition is more rare, I do agree. The question is if more high grade direct sale or newsstand currently are in the graded population? My guess is the numbers are probably close to the same. That said I'm sure there are those who will pay a premium for the newsstand even if the supply does not dictate it as it does with ASM 300.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/24/2021 at 12:38 PM, MAR1979 said:

5K may have been high water mark, if down to 4k, 3.5k may be next.  Yes, quite an increase from a year ago but not thinking it will hold on to majority of those gains. Only time will tell.

P.S. It was mentioned earlier that the Direct sale edition is more rare, I do agree. The question is if more high grade direct sale or newsstand currently are in the graded population? My guess is the numbers are probably close to the same. That said I'm sure there are those who will pay a premium for the newsstand even if the supply does not dictate it as it does with ASM 300.

I have observed no consistent or relevant difference in prices between newsstand and direct or even copies with "white pages" and "off white/white pages" on the label.  

-J.

On 11/24/2021 at 12:38 PM, MAR1979 said:

$4550 for this one.  (thumbsu

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255240122690?hash=item3b6d7f3142:g:Gf8AAOSwOGFhmu9U#vi__app-cvip-panel

-J.

On 11/15/2021 at 9:44 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Let’s take a look at this in a different way.

ASM is the most collected back issue title of all time.  

In 1994, ASM 129 was a $325 book, ASM 238 was a $70 book and ASM 194 was a $9 book.

ASM 193 was an $8 book.

15 years was a long time for so few people to remotely care about the first appearance of the black cat.

The whole thing feels way too manufactured to me.

I'm biased. I've always thought that this cover is an artistic train wreck.

Her character is just too large, the perspective is horrible.

A proper example of the right way to draw a villain leaping at the hero would be Daredevil 104.

It just bugs me, and I've never remotely liked it.

Only the color choice was right, and plays right in to speculators hands.

:preach:

On 12/30/2021 at 7:06 AM, sledgehammer said:

In 1994, ASM 129 was a $325 book, ASM 238 was a $70 book and ASM 194 was a $9 book.

ASM 193 was an $8 book.

15 years was a long time for so few people to remotely care about the first appearance of the black cat.

The whole thing feels way too manufactured to me.

Isn’t that approximately the same amount of time required for people to care about the  1st appearance of The Punisher?  After all, ASM 129 didn’t pop until the success of the Punisher mini-series, right?