• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 194- The Latest ASM Issue Blowing Up?
2 2

251 posts in this topic

If there's somebody that would drop $8,400 on a 9.9 ASM 198 (there is.), with white showing on the spine, there's going to be plenty of people that will drop $5,000 on 9.8 copies of 194.

They just better hope they're buying it because they love owning it, and not because of how sexy Campbell draws her, or movie hype.

:makepoint:

On 1/22/2022 at 8:31 PM, Jaydogrules said:

It's a 9.9 with OW/W pages.  lol

Honestly they shouldn't even allow that.  As it is, for at least a portion of the select group who would be interested in a book like this, that detail will probably put their OCD itch into overdrive.

On 1/22/2022 at 8:47 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Honestly they shouldn't even allow that.  As it is, for at least a portion of the select group who would be interested in a book like this, that detail will probably put their OCD itch into overdrive.

Maybe it’s a 10 but for the PQ

Book looks razor sharp 

Perfect QP

On 1/22/2022 at 5:47 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Weird, a lot of ASM 9.9s lately that I have seen where OW/W copies.

On 1/18/2022 at 4:32 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Whoops.  Looks.like it's back up to $5k.  This might really upset and offend a few people.  :shy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324988342767?hash=item4baad091ef:g:GvYAAOSwWKVh3LWf#vi__app-cvip-panel

-J.

It doesn't offend anyone really, it just shows how much the price of the book fluctuates in value, keeping me and some others from buying a copy.

Just like ASM 300, it fluctuates so bad that it's not worth investing.

Sad really, buy on a whim just to have a copy.

On 1/23/2022 at 7:49 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

It doesn't offend anyone really, it just shows how much the price of the book fluctuates in value, keeping me and some others from buying a copy.

Just like ASM 300, it fluctuates so bad that it's not worth investing.

Sad really, buy on a whim just to have a copy.

CL is an interesting choice for the 9.9.

I don't know if the lone white page copy has sold there since the first time it sold 10 years ago, but this OW/W copy is the only one of the other 3 that there are several sales of on GPA.

Not at all weird how the first sale was more than double the sale price of the fourth sale, when these started showing up 12 years ago.

Then the 2014 Heritage sale really popped.

A Heritage 9.8 white page copy sells for $2.8K in Feb '21, and another copy from the same submission (with the bottom of the UPC cut off on each) sells at Heritage for $5.7K in May.

And off to the races we go.

Edited by sledgehammer

On 1/22/2022 at 8:47 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I personally know collectors that will avoid all books that do not have White pages.

One of them is buddy of mine and in a conversation he told me, he prefers:

1) 9.4 with WP over a 9.8 with Off-White
2) 9.6 with WP over a 9.8 with OW/W
3) 9.4 with WP over a 9.6 with OW/W

Everyone has their own thing of course. As for me I've no problem with OW/W on Bronze and Silver especially late 70's books with paper that was pretty much newsprint. Copper and newer yeah I'll agree White pages or nothing.

I do agree a book should not be a 9.9 unless White Pages. How can it be "Mint" if a flaw noted in the description.  Mint means perfect condition and looks like new in all respects.  OW/W pages removes all magic from a 9.9 IMHO!

Those thinking of spending good currency on that 194 9.9 need to realize that OW/W will turn off many "high rollers" thus limiting ability to re-coup expenditure when (not if) the book drops substantially off it's highs.  If it had WP then those worries likley all eliminated.  Due to the OW/W my feeling is the book at what it will likley go for is for someone with more $'s than sense :)

P.S. the book sure does look sharp! Perhaps even too sharp...

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/24/2022 at 11:21 AM, MAR1979 said:

I personally know collectors that will avoid all books that do not have White pages.

Everyone has their own thing of course. As for me I've no problem with OW/W on Bronze and Silver especially late 70's books with paper that was pretty much newsprint. Copper and newer yeah I'll agree White pages or nothing.

I do agree a book should not be a 9.9 unless White Pages. How can it be "Mint" if a flaw noted in the description.  Mint means perfect condition and looks like new in all respects.  OW/W pages removes all magic from a 9.9 IMHO!

Those thinking of spending good currency on that 194 9.9 need to realize that OW/W will turn off many "high rollers" thus limiting ability to re-coup expenditure when (not if) the book drops substantially off it's highs.  If it had WP then those worries likley all eliminated.  Due to the OW/W my feeling is the book at what it will likley go for is for someone with more $'s than sense :)

P.S. the book sure does look sharp! Perhaps even too sharp...

I would absolutely not agree with 9.4 WP over 9.8 OW, and while I understand the second and third comparisons I also fully recognize that the market disagrees with them.

I'll just say that I would never buy a 9.8 OW/W so forget about a 9.9 OW/W.  Defeats the whole purpose of buying at the top end of the grade scale.

On 1/24/2022 at 10:21 AM, MAR1979 said:

This would be my personal position as well.  Although, I recognize that most people wouldn't agree.  But a 9.8 with OW pages is a bit sad to me.

On 1/24/2022 at 1:59 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I would absolutely not agree with 9.4 WP over 9.8 OW, and while I understand the second and third comparisons I also fully recognize that the market disagrees with them.

I'll just say that I would never buy a 9.8 OW/W so forget about a 9.9 OW/W.  Defeats the whole purpose of buying at the top end of the grade scale.

Makes sense, to each their own.  And I completely agree with the bolded part unless it was a GA or SA book.  But even then, I'd never chase the 9.8 as I'd rather have multiple lower grade (9.4) books instead (not that you usually have the choice with many of those books).  2c

On 1/24/2022 at 11:43 PM, Randall Dowling said:

This would be my personal position as well.  Although, I recognize that most people wouldn't agree.  But a 9.8 with OW pages is a bit sad to me.

Makes sense, to each their own.  And I completely agree with the bolded part unless it was a GA or SA book.  But even then, I'd never chase the 9.8 as I'd rather have multiple lower grade (9.4) books instead (not that you usually have the choice with many of those books).  2c

Yes, I agree that when you're talking about GA or SA there may be no such thing as a 9.8, or if there is the census count is so low that you'd take any 9.8 you can get.  (Like you, I don't buy 9.8 books that old so I have never had to make the choice.)

But if we're talking about books with a plentiful supply of 9.8 copies in the census, OW/W is the kiss of death IMHO.

^

Whoever wins it will be saddled with comments like the "yeah OK, but it's from mid-1979 and does NOT have White Pages" their entire time of ownership. To fork over that kind of coin in effect to be ridiculed by collectors and dealers alike puts it into the more $'s than sense category as i mentioned earlier. If 50K means nothing to you then why not advertise a want-to-buy for 75-100K for a 9.9 with WHITE pages? There are 3 of them after all. Seems absurd to budget shop on an inferior 9.9 at 50K. 

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/25/2022 at 9:08 AM, MAR1979 said:

^

Whoever wins it will be saddled with comments like the "yeah OK, but it's from mid-1979 and does NOT have White Pages" their entire time of ownership. To fork over that kind of coin in effect to be ridiculed by collectors and dealers alike puts it into the more $'s than sense category as i mentioned earlier. If 50K means nothing to you then why not advertise a want-to-buy for 75-100K for a 9.9 with WHITE pages? There are 3 of them after all. Seems absurd to budget shop on an inferior 9.9 at 50K. 

Do we have scans of the other 9.9s?

Is the QP as perfect as this one?

On 1/25/2022 at 9:44 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Do we have scans of the other 9.9s?

Is the QP as perfect as this one?

The 3 OW/W, including this one, are viewable on Heritage. They all look about the same.

One has slightly more white at the spine.

I haven't seen the white paged one.

On 1/25/2022 at 10:54 AM, sledgehammer said:

The 3 OW/W, including this one, are viewable on Heritage. They all look about the same.

One has slightly more white at the spine.

I haven't seen the white paged one.

So there’s 4 in total?  Only one copy with white pages?

On 1/25/2022 at 9:08 AM, MAR1979 said:

^

“Saddled with comments…”

I’ll give you this…you have a unique way of looking at things!