• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1) Will X-Men #1 crack $1,000,000 before December 31, 2021? 2) Will it move into #1 Silver Age spot by December 31, 2021?
4 4

34 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

I apologize for the misread on my part. I note an AF15 just posted there for $175K as well in a 7.0 

No worries! 

I saw that AF15 too.  I like to torture myself,  so I get email alerts whenever Bob posts books I couldn't possibly afford. 

In any event,  it's a good meter on how far apart the two books are. An X1 8.5 is roughly equal to an AF15 7.0. 

And while that might seem like a big gap, to me, it's remarkable how fast X1 has risen. It wasn't long ago that normal folks could buy an X1 in relativity high grade with a little saving and planning. Now it's a vacation home. 

My guess is that the next 9.6 AF 15 to sell will be for closer to 2M.  So since the 9.8 XMen 1 at 1.5M is the outlier guesstimate, I’d say Spidey is still safely ahead for some time to come.  But if the new money drifts away we may face a boring few years of non exciting sales across the board.

3 hours ago, KCOComics said:

No worries! 

I saw that AF15 too.  I like to torture myself,  so I get email alerts whenever Bob posts books I couldn't possibly afford. 

In any event,  it's a good meter on how far apart the two books are. An X1 8.5 is roughly equal to an AF15 7.0. 

And while that might seem like a big gap, to me, it's remarkable how fast X1 has risen. It wasn't long ago that normal folks could buy an X1 in relativity high grade with a little saving and planning. Now it's a vacation home. 

what I see is the mid range books staying fairly stable but the lower  end ones shooting up, particularly in the AF15. The move from when I sold my 5.0 in 2017  to the price in 2021 hasn't been anywhere near as meteoric as the rises seen in the 2.5-4.0. X men certainly seems like it's in a " new car fever" sort of thing.  AF15 never made sense from a rarity standpoint, it was just something everyone felt they had to have. X men 1 is not a comic I know the rarity of. It certainly is hot. 

I don't regret selling my whole collection. It just seemed like nothing really good would come from hanging on to it. I gave away an X man 4 during the process as well. That bus box was a peculiar find. 

I'm almost sure X-Men will top a million this year. When you think about it, the kids who were around tennish or so when the first Bryan Singer X-Men movie came out are now thirtyish or so. I'm assuming a large portion of that generation are now doing well financially, better than most baby boomers, etc. When I was ten it was all about "ooooh.....aaaaah I got my my FF #1 and Action #1". Then for the next 20 years it was slowly "ooooooh.....ahhhhh.....I got my AF #15 and my Detective #27. Now it's definitely "oooh.....aaaah I got my X-Men #1 and my.....???? I guess I'm a dinosaur but I can't figure the second one out. Yesterday it was Wolverine and Deadpool, today it's Johnny Blaze. I'm definitely a dinosaur cause for some reason I hate that name Johnny Blaze, I never liked any of the comic book series and The Nick Cage movies completely turned me off. 

5f940e.jpg

X-men 1 won’t sell for. Million this year because fir that to happen one of the owners would have decide to sell it. I doubt they think they need to hurry to cash in just cause one of the other guys sold his copy. And… The underbidder isn’t always still hungry for the book they lost out on. Sometimes they are relieved! So there’s a downside to selling right away trying to piggyback a huge sale number. 

Edited by Aman619

10 hours ago, captain_em said:

I'm almost sure X-Men will top a million this year. When you think about it, the kids who were around tennish or so when the first Bryan Singer X-Men movie came out are now thirtyish or so. I'm assuming a large portion of that generation are now doing well financially, better than most baby boomers, etc. When I was ten it was all about "ooooh.....aaaaah I got my my FF #1 and Action #1". Then for the next 20 years it was slowly "ooooooh.....ahhhhh.....I got my AF #15 and my Detective #27. Now it's definitely "oooh.....aaaah I got my X-Men #1 and my.....???? I guess I'm a dinosaur but I can't figure the second one out. Yesterday it was Wolverine and Deadpool, today it's Johnny Blaze. I'm definitely a dinosaur cause for some reason I hate that name Johnny Blaze, I never liked any of the comic book series and The Nick Cage movies completely turned me off. 

5f940e.jpg

I'm 38 and not totally surprised by the Johnny Blaze craze. 

I think my brother was more of a traditional comic book fan than I was. He followed the trends and I realize the things he loved growing up are the things selling for big $$ now. Ghost Rider, X-Men, Venom, Punisher. Those are all coming into their own with our generation. 

I use to read all the "What Ifs" and followed Fantastic Four.  For us, going to the comic book store was a big deal and it didn't happen often. So when we went, I liked to buy books with no story arch. I hated picking up a story in the middle or never finding out how it ended.  

21 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I'm 38 and not totally surprised by the Johnny Blaze craze. 

I think my brother was more of a traditional comic book fan than I was. He followed the trends and I realize the things he loved growing up are the things selling for big $$ now. Ghost Rider, X-Men, Venom, Punisher. Those are all coming into their own with our generation. 

I use to read all the "What Ifs" and followed Fantastic Four.  For us, going to the comic book store was a big deal and it didn't happen often. So when we went, I liked to buy books with no story arch. I hated picking up a story in the middle or never finding out how it ended.  

I'm 55+ and I read every comic I bought. But I'm very happy for any younger folks who had the foresight to invest. It's a fun and great hobby and if someone can turn it into a full time profession I think that's a wonderful thing!