• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In Mexico, Sgt. Fury was a regular Capt. Kirk

12 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Turnando said:

Mexican comics are very cool.  I bought a stack of old Chanoc comics for the covers and now I need a spinner rack because I want to see them all the time.

Yeah.  Even the books they reprinted from Marvel would often feature covers with the original images retouched or virtually painted over to make everything more garish, the women with more revealing clothes, the victims' facial expressions more terrified and the villains more monstrous. 

On 7/3/2021 at 2:39 PM, bluechip said:

Went through a stack of Mexican Marvels from the 70s and was reminded that, while in the Marvel comics Nick Fury was so torn up by Pam Hawley's death that he barely touched a dame for the rest of the war, in the comics made for the Mexican audience, Nick had plenty of "live for today because tomorrow we may die" sex with a slew of hot babes, friend and foe alike.   Sometimes Hitler himself would play cupid with a Hotzi honey trap.   I am not privvy to the MCU plans for any wartime Sgt. Fury/Howlers exploitation, but they could do worse than adopt the 70s drive-in movie tone of these Mexican adaptations. 

Hot babe refugee.jpg

Gwen-like refugee.jpg

Sargento Furia 153 with Hotzi.jpg

1.jpg

Babe and Hitler.jpg

Sargento Furia 181 with hotzi - Copy.jpg

If the U.S. issues had contained GGA they would be not languishing in the long boxes at your local LCS. :cloud9:

On 7/23/2021 at 4:48 AM, frozentundraguy said:

If the U.S. issues had contained GGA they would be not languishing in the long boxes at your local LCS. :cloud9:

You got me thinking of a great way to avoid work this morning by looking at an online gallery of Fury covers which reaffirmed by belief that they were not as memorable as the stories themselves.  The most memorable being 8, 18, 43, 59 and 64) either because of what was promised within (Nazis with laser guns!  Someone dies!  Fury's eye!)  or the eye-catching cover image itself (43, 64).  Runners up being 38, 50, 65, 66, 69, 74, 75.  

Women appeared on barely a handful of covers and maybe once or twice the cover implied they were integral to the story.  But never did they imply any steamy sex could be found within.  The Mexican publishers apparently saw this as a shortcoming and sought to remedy it. 

Okay, unless somebody's going to pay me for critiquing Fury covers, I need to get back to work...

On 7/23/2021 at 1:50 PM, bluechip said:

You got me thinking of a great way to avoid work this morning by looking at an online gallery of Fury covers which reaffirmed by belief that they were not as memorable as the stories themselves.  The most memorable being 8, 18, 43, 59 and 64) either because of what was promised within (Nazis with laser guns!  Someone dies!  Fury's eye!)  or the eye-catching cover image itself (43, 64).  Runners up being 38, 50, 65, 66, 69, 74, 75.  

Women appeared on barely a handful of covers and maybe once or twice the cover implied they were integral to the story.  But never did they imply any steamy sex could be found within.  The Mexican publishers apparently saw this as a shortcoming and sought to remedy it. 

Okay, unless somebody's going to pay me for critiquing Fury covers, I need to get back to work...

I have perhaps a dozen issues of Sgt Fury. Bought my issue of 8 back before I joined the boards here. :blush:  Someone applied tape inside the front cover and it leaked through.

scan0621.jpg