• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the will-never-be-for-sale-box books
1 1

43 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

kept this one cuz of the top-right ditko story; blew little-boy me away.

image.png.2e59ceece9f10bcbc872e5b5363d359a.png

I read this issue as a kid, and the 'Those who change' story struck a chord with me, too.  50+ years later,  I picked up an Amazing Adult Fantasy #10, which is where the story first appeared.

On 7/5/2021 at 11:43 AM, Straw-Man said:

and, finally, the 2 books that show "comic artist" was not my calling.  lost the covers of avengers 3 and ff ann. 5, and gave 'em a try...

avengers3-1.jpeg

ffann5-1.jpeg

Careful, someone's going to accuse you of foisting undisclosed restoration on people.  

(BTW, great thread :applause:)

:applause:Classic stuff, Straw! 
I made several attempts at reproducing covers, with only slightly better success. My friend Bob still has superhero designs we did as kids, I think.

I sold my childhood collection for $40 back in the 70s, so everything I have now was acquired 1987-now. 

'preciate you, kj!

for me, other than the little box of oldies [and there are a few others that weren't worth taking pics of/showing here], the present collection starts in '92.    right around the time the death of superman was on the spinner, because that was the hot-thing when i went into the local lafayette comic shop looking for back-issues.  within a month or so of that, i was in houston, meeting my geek at bedrock city comics.   i bought ff 1 from him the very day we met.

Edited by Straw-Man

the tall geek had $1,200 on the ff 1.  i considered it, but still had a few houston area shops to visit that day and passed on it.  but by the afternoon, i'd hit them all, and still had a little cacheofcash, so went back to bedrock city.  he saw me walk in, and i didn't speak, just put an index finger in the air, and he turned around, pulled it off the wall, and a 1k deal was confected.   who knew best-friendness would follow?

p.s.   mcu ripped my move off with dr. strange signaling tony in the endgame climax, and not one penny has come my way.

3 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

who knew best-friendness would follow?

:luhv:

Two books in my "not for sale" box came from Bedrock Evans ... a fairly scarce Adams promo comic, and a gorgeous copy of Conan 37. :cloud9: ... they are SO "not for sale" that I will not even post pictures of them :sumo: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

17 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

... a fairly scarce Adams promo comic

Adams did more than his share of those weird little promo books. I'm going to guess this one is I Am the Guard, because I think that's probably the most elusive. There are a lot of copies of Mark Steel out there, and Adventures in Leather isn't too hard to chase down either.

6 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

Adventures in Leather isn't too hard to chase down either.

... it's that one. I'll look for the one you mention... I enjoy hunting Unicorns. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

5 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

the tall geek had $1,200 on the ff 1.  i considered it, but still had a few houston area shops to visit that day and passed on it.  but by the afternoon, i'd hit them all, and still had a little cacheofcash, so went back to bedrock city.  he saw me walk in, and i didn't speak, just put an index finger in the air, and he turned around, pulled it off the wall, and a 1k deal was confected.   who knew best-friendness would follow?

p.s.   mcu ripped my move off with dr. strange signaling tony in the endgame climax, and not one penny has come my way.

Buying my first Fantastic Four 1 was the best day I’ve had in the hobby.

My first comic.  Family was going on a week long houseboat trip at Lake Shasta.  I remember thinking that I was going to be so bored.  The camp store at Holiday Harbor had a spinner rack of comics and I bought this badboy.  Got hooked on the characterization of the x-men, especially the brew drinking Wolverine!  LOL.  Never looked back, and it led to a comic book collecting habit afterward.  I'll never sell it!  

1350707006_Xmen159.thumb.jpg.6f0d4de9cdf1218ec298aa6186b90f94.jpg

On 7/5/2021 at 1:43 PM, Straw-Man said:

and, finally, the 2 books that show "comic artist" was not my calling.  lost the covers of avengers 3 and ff ann. 5, and gave 'em a try...

avengers3-1.jpeg

ffann5-1.jpeg

...these two! And dog chew one! These have character

You have a blank backer board to write your story  and dates on...that way it's never lost! I've always wanted to contact name of person(Johnny Smith) on comic when drawn in pen, on facebook...but I'm not on facebook, to get the story when they were a kid...but I never do...they might think I'm stalking them. But I do make notes and transfer all old stickers to backer board when fresh bagging and boarding!