• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Not a perfect movie but I liked it..." - where are these perfect movies?
10 10

258 posts in this topic

On 7/7/2021 at 5:13 PM, Amazeron said:

Airplane!? Right next to Citizen Kane?

image.gif.b0ade955dab320292c941950781ab2ca.gif

For literal humour it’s pretty much flawless.

On 7/6/2021 at 7:15 AM, Bosco685 said:

Every once in a while you will see a film released with people starting their reviews with "Not a perfect movie, but..."

Even some of the greatest comic book films (or any for that matter), in my opinion, have flaws. One of the greatest of the MCU films, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, has them. I just rewatched this recently and two jumped right out at me.

FURY CUTTING THROUGH AN SUV ROOF AND A STREET WITH A TINY LASER WITHIN SECONDS

The Winter Soldier has him cornered. Fury is turned upside down with major injuries. But not to worry: he has his trusty Scout Master pen laser ready to go into action. And while the Winter Soldier is less than a hundred feet away and charging towards him not only does he cut through the roof of his SUV. He slices through feet of tar and bedrock to safety. Oddly enough, the car roof cut is square while the road cut is circular. And if this laser was that powerful, why not point it at Winter Soldier and cut him in half? It was powerful enough to slice through feet of construction, rebar and all.

BELTWAY ATTACK OUT OF THIN AIR (also referred to as THE BATTLE AT WASHINGTON D.C.)

Battle of Washington, D.C.

For anyone that has ever travelled through or worked in the Washington D.C. area, you've experienced the pleasure of the Capital Beltway. Which we saw in this film Cap and team were taking Agent Stillwell to confess what he knew. And out of the blue the Winter Soldier appears on the car roof without even a quinnjet or other hint how he miraculously appeared to disrupt their plans. Yet there he was, perfectly placed to stop our heroes in their tracks.

I love this movie, from beginning to end (including the animated credits). But even I know enough to recognize imperfections that when you step back these things dawn on you. Which I try to avoid, as then I would spend more time picking apart a film than I would enjoying a live production of beloved characters.

So where are these 'perfect films' that we compare everything to their magnificent achievements and due to this nothing else can match such excellence? Benchmarks like these must be out there were the perfect movie set our expectations so high we have allowed that to disrupt sitting back and enjoying these stories while noting other films "...were not a perfect movie..."

Let's hear about such perfect films, and shine a light on such superbness. :popcorn:

I thought about what you are seeking and logically with the parameters that you have set with youre 2 exemples i must conclude to no fictional movies whatsoever and left with documentary film or educationary movies most likely about agriculture  hm

Edited by Namtak

Another one I thought of, that I find hard to watch: Requiem For A Dream. 

42 minutes ago, csaag said:

I think "The Raid:Redemption"   was the perfect action flick (too good to just call a martial arts action flick)

They should've added another 10 stories to that building so the movie could go on another couple of hours

image.jpeg.b9aea6bb8a29145b629e1cca5c187e44.jpeg

Dredd was excellent as well.

10 hours ago, csaag said:

I think "The Raid:Redemption"   was the perfect action flick (too good to just call a martial arts action flick)

They should've added another 10 stories to that building so the movie could go on another couple of hours

image.jpeg.b9aea6bb8a29145b629e1cca5c187e44.jpeg

Still a favorite. And for now, you can only get the English version on disc. Which I have rewatched excessively over the years.

10 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

A Matter of Life and Death

Brilliant film.

Known in the US as Stairway to Heaven.

Aimost anything by Powell and Pressburg- The Red Shoes, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Tales of Hoffman, and especially Black Narcissus. All great films. And then, of course, Powell made Peeping Tom in 1960, a great horror thriller, but the controversy that erupted all but killed his career.

On 7/6/2021 at 7:08 PM, adampasz said:

Some others for consideration...

Airplane!
All About Eve
Do The Right Thing
Citizen Kane
Frozen
School of Rock
The Third Man
This is Spinal Tap
Wrath of Khan

For my suggestions, I was trying to list films where I feel the artistic vision was perfectly executed in all aspects: --script, performances, editing, music, cinematography, etc. They are not necessarily my all-time favorites. I can totally justify putting Airplane! up there with Citizen Kane, in that they both achieve their artistic goals to perfection. You could argue that Kane has loftier artistic goals, and maybe that should be factored in. If you took my definition to the extreme, you could argue that Warhol's Empire is also a "perfect" movie. But I think we're talking about narrative films here. :)

Regarding 2

On 7/7/2021 at 3:08 AM, Bosco685 said:

Over the years Space Odyssey was held up as an incredible and under-appreciated film. But then as the unfamiliar gave it a go, more started picking apart the story flow or even the scenes meant to convey everyday life in space not conveying gravity correctly or movement of ships and people. But most consider it a masterpiece.

I'm not smart enough to say how accurate the physics in 2001 are. I'm sure you could nit-pick it apart. But I still think it is pretty incredible visually, and still on par with modern hard sci-fi like the Expanse.  
Case in point: 

You might make the case that the Stargate sequence knocks 2001 off the list because of its self-indulgence...

As much as I very much appreciate Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country conveys the reality of a human-driven Federation attempting to hold together an alliance at times even they did not want. Including engaging with a devastated Klingon Empire. To their face offering support and care: behind the scenes noting disgust at their lack of manners or even strong dislike due to past attacks and family tragedies. Those two films are always high on my Star Trek fan list.

II and VI are my two all time favorite Trek movies. So you won't get much argument from me here. I think what elevates II to perfection for me is Ricardo Montalbán's iconic performance. 

The ones I'm not sure about from my list are Frozen and Spinal Tap. I think they peter out in the 3rd act.

Edited by adampasz

13 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Brilliant film that is a crime a sequel never came :(

I remember when this came out in theaters, I thought about seeing it but for some reason didn't. Came and left theaters pretty quickly too. I regret not seeing this on the big screen in 3D; actually used 3D in a thoughtful way that was relevant to the story. 

Edited by Lpgk